UKBouldering.com

Academic cheating (Read 9664 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Academic cheating
March 04, 2009, 01:08:15 pm
How much would you pay for someone to provide you with a, ahemmm, 'model answer' to 'guide' you in your studies?

The reason for asking is that I'm currently engaged in a rewrite of a previous piece of bespoke plagarism research and I've just realised that the punter is paying £750 for 5000 words!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Academic cheating
March 04, 2009, 01:20:42 pm
Nothing, its cheaper for me to do it myself, and I might actually learn something about the topic and develop some useful skills along the way.

Anyway, why not just find out what his upper limit will be by revising the quote to £1 per-word and working down from there.  It will no doubt be a function along the lines of....

Money (M)
Laziness (L) range - to
Urgency (U) range > 0
Financial Resources (F) > 0

M = F * L * U2

nik at work

• forum hero
#2 Re: Academic cheating
March 04, 2009, 01:29:02 pm
Surely money can't exceed financial resources.
I'd suggest that laziness and urgency should tend towards 1 as they increase thus using your equation money will never exceed financial resouces and we can prevent a collapse of the banking system...

..oh wait a minute.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Academic cheating
March 04, 2009, 01:41:46 pm
 :lol: I didn't have a napkin to doodle on and randomly wrote whatever first came into my head, very good though.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Academic cheating
March 04, 2009, 02:42:45 pm
Sloper, are you in the process of writing someones work for them (and wondering how much you could get away with charging) or thinking of comissioning someone to do the work for yourself...?  :greed:

Sloper

• forum hero
#5 Re: Academic cheating
March 04, 2009, 04:09:41 pm
I'm the giver not the taker. :shag: :shag: :shag: :shag: :shag: :shag: :shag: :shag:

As I said I get paid by the agent after they take their slice.  It's a big slice but they have to deal with the morons, so that's easy enough.

Today I have earned about £300 for about half a days writing, not too bad all things considered.

Sloper

• forum hero
#6 Re: Academic cheating
March 04, 2009, 04:20:32 pm
http://www.customessays.co.uk/law.php

Not the folk I write for but you get the idea.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Academic cheating
March 04, 2009, 04:31:56 pm
I'm sure you realise that in willingly participating in such practice you are contributing to the erosion of (higher?) educational standards and belittling the efforts of those who do the hard work themselves.  :(

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Academic cheating
March 04, 2009, 04:52:02 pm
Thanks Sloper,
I was asking as I mark undergrad student work... its surprisingly obvious when someone else has written the work - theres no references to the detail they have been taught in the lectures... often citing/using a whole different batch of info... Some people are plain stupid when they copy work... but thats another thread,.

So, if you were getting someone else to write your own work (which you are not), I would say dont.. Its not worth the bother.

However, if you're making money from writing for some rich twat who should know/be capable of better then thats a different kettle of fish.... Like Slackers says it does diminish the standards etc.... and I would personally not feel comfortable doing it for any sustained period..  but if I was strapped for cash-  in need of a quick buck etc.. I probably wouldnt loose any sleep about doing it...

Mind you, if the essays are any good you could be raising academic standards!!  :shrug:

andy popp

• forum hero
#9 Re: Academic cheating
March 04, 2009, 04:53:29 pm
not too bad all things considered.

Except all the ethical considerations.

Its bad enough you're prepared to do this, but please spare us the gloating.

grimer

• forum hero
#10 Re: Academic cheating
March 04, 2009, 05:04:52 pm
Its bad enough you're prepared to do this, but please spare us the gloating.

well put, and totally agree

grimer

• forum hero
#11 Re: Academic cheating
March 04, 2009, 05:07:40 pm
Ironically, just after I posted that, the banner ad came up at the bottom saying "I'm rich, you're not", with a smug-looking twit.

Says it all?

Sloper

• forum hero
#12 Re: Academic cheating
March 04, 2009, 06:37:04 pm
There are many things that have devalued education the first and foremost was this governments approach to turning education into a commodity and then creating a market with fees, leauge tables etc.  There has always been cheats and people like me who will take their money and that tutors.

What I find worrying is that apparently tutors no longer have the ability to see which student has submitted which essay and thereby spot the muppet who has paid for their essay.

Anyway in today's economic climate I'll make a living any way that I can.

andy popp

• forum hero
#13 Re: Academic cheating
March 04, 2009, 07:17:51 pm
There has always been cheats and people like me who will take their money and that tutors.

I'm glad I'm not paying good money for this rubbish.

Sloper

• forum hero
#14 Re: Academic cheating
March 04, 2009, 07:42:47 pm
number, gender, case etc now write it out a thousand times

In my defence I was distracted by my son and thought I'd edited the first part of the post from the second part which was typed about 40 mins later.

Anyway it's not just law they have requests for essays on nursing and all sorts, you're a historian if memory serves, if you want to nail the cheats pm me an I'll explain how.

nodder

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Academic cheating
March 04, 2009, 08:57:42 pm
How much would you charge for the info on how to catch them?

BenF

• forum hero
#16 Re: Academic cheating
March 04, 2009, 09:22:03 pm
I'm sorry but I'm not impressed by this.  Maybe it's fine to take the money, devalue the educational achievements of non-cheats and sneer at the rich twats who'll pay to pass, but it feels very wrong to me.  Cheating is fairly rife (half a dozen cases being unearthed and disciplined each year on one course) according to friends who lecture at a local university and I don't see any morally defensible way of being party to cheating of any kind. 

Well done for earning £300 after half a day's effort, I only hope you pay tax on that.  ;)  Then at least some of that can go towards educating the students in the first place (apologies for the condescending air, but this kind of stuff pisses me off).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#17 Re: Academic cheating
March 05, 2009, 08:06:17 am

Anyway in today's economic climate I'll make a living any way that I can.

Rent Boy? Selling bags of weed to small children? As a lawyer, you clearly have no morals, so why stop at helping helping cheats to earn your buck?

Sloper

• forum hero
#18 Re: Academic cheating
March 05, 2009, 08:17:45 am
Ethically its not the best but the distinction is I'm not cheating anyone.  Law has nothing to do with justice and is often a case of who is better at playing the system, as some regular posters on here will know.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#19 Re: Academic cheating
March 05, 2009, 08:41:32 am
Ethically its not the best but the distinction is I'm not cheating anyone.  Law has nothing to do with justice and is often a case of who is better at playing the system, as some regular posters on here will know.

I disagree, you're cheating those who do the work themselves by (presumably) artificially inflating the standards.  They then have a tougher field to compete against in that academic year.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#20 Re: Academic cheating
March 05, 2009, 09:10:23 am
Quite. And this is not a case of playing the system, it's cheating pure and simple.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#21 Re: Academic cheating
March 05, 2009, 09:40:12 am
It's a shame that stuff like this goes on, and I see this kind of attitude in my students (1st and 2nd year UGs) all the time. Some were discussing 'foolproof' plagiarism techniques the other day. It's not true for all, but the majority of students now just seem to be hussling for the best grade they can get with the minimum of effort, someone began to complain the other day that she couldn't answer all the questions on her tutorial from lecture notes alone. Another came to complain, stating that whilst her and her friends had worked together she hadn't done as well as they had?!  :wall:

I think being part of a system that works to help such people to apparent success by writing essays for them is completely immoral.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#22 Re: Academic cheating
March 05, 2009, 09:51:02 am
I've never really studied hard for anything but I'd be fucking pissed off if I had and some cunt got the same or better grades than me by getting some other cunt to cheat for them. £300 is a pretty paltry sum to sell out in such shocking fashion for Slopes.

tomtom

• forum hero
#23 Re: Academic cheating
March 05, 2009, 10:18:30 am
OK,
I've been lecturing and marking Ugrad's for over ten years now (internal  :o )

Theres a few points here I'd like to make.
First, Vivahate made some very valid points about students hustling for the right grade. This IMHO is because at school they are now largely taught how to pass exams - not to think about the subject. I'm not blaming teachers, its the constant rankings, targets and inflexibilities of the national curriculum that from our end give the impression students have been fed exactly what they need to know in order to pass their exams. This presents students - and us (lecturers) with difficulties as we have to try and change how they look at things - to thinking about WHY something happens and WHAT it means (- analysis!)  rather than just spouting off some case studies and facts.

Second, this probably does not lead to grades slipping. We do not mark to a distribution - e.g. give 5% 1sts, 20% 2i's, 40% 2ii's etc... we mark to strict criteria concerning the academic quality of the work. THerefore if you do not cheat and someone else does you will not be disadvantaged.

Third, whilst such cheating is widespread (e.g. it happens in many places and institutions) it is not commonplace and I do not think will become so. This is because it costs money - and only a few students will be able to afford this. For a 3rd year Ugrad here, they have to submit c. 36 000 words (or word equivalanets) for their 120 credits. Lets say there are some exams, and overall about 10-12 essays in that lot. At say £100-300 per essay (depending on type etc..) then thats quite alot of beer tokens for your average student to want to waste. So a few students may use it a few times - I dont think buying peoples essays will become a huge issue but remain a minor one.

Fourthly - its really easy to bust people for plagiurism - there is bespoke software (turnitin) and much of our coursework can now be submitted electronically - so its just a matter of plug a few in. The deterrent value of catching someone is huge. A few years ago I busted 5 people all copying the work of one unsuspecting lad (they fished his work out of a handing in letterbox and copied it)... there were no problems for the next couple of years.. word gets around.

Finally - personally I dont agree with what Sloper is doing - and would not condone or reccomend anyone do the same.. It is cheating.

But the real looser out of all this is the idiot who is paying for the service - because they'll end up loosing out in the long run. THey may do well in this essay, but I bet they'll bomb out in others - and if/when they get a job based on their fake grade after a few weeks people there will soon suss they have only half a brain and they will not prosper.

Mind you, they'll probably make a good politician!  :)

T

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#24 Re: Academic cheating
March 05, 2009, 10:21:09 am
Loose

LOSE!

:spank:  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal