slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#26 Re: Academic cheating
March 05, 2009, 10:28:52 am
plagiurism

plagiarism  ;D

:off: but get this bullshit.

My wife teaches and assess hair-dressing at Sheffield College, not the most academically bright bunch of students, but they do have to sit and pass exams.  Many often fail, repeatedly, and the head of the department has suggested that the correct answers from repeated papers are taken to give an overall pass grade!!!  I was appalled at this when my wife told me about it (she has refused to do this underhand marking) and I suggested that she take it up with the NVQ examiners, but it turns out that it was they who advocated doing this in the first place!!!

Absolute nonce-sense, and the supposed justification for it is that they have to reach their "targets".  As tomtom says too much focus on passing exams and reaching targets.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:34:07 am by slack---line, Reason: OT tail »

tomtom

• forum hero
#27 Re: Academic cheating
March 05, 2009, 10:30:07 am
plagiurism

plagiarism  ;D
Arse..  :) should have paid someone to type it in for me!  ;D

a dense loner

• forum hero
#28 Re: Academic cheating
March 05, 2009, 10:30:52 am
i know a lawyer...

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#29 Re: Academic cheating
March 05, 2009, 11:05:19 am
It is Jasper, a paltry sum. Part of me doesn't like doing it and the defences to the action are not the most robust but I've lost too much money and too many clients have gone into administration for me to turn down the dosh.

For all the, quite proper, distaste about students cheating, I'm amazed that the university authorities aren't taking this bespoke 'model answer' plagarism more seriously.  All they would have to do is have PhD students sign up to be 'researchers' and then they'd see which subjects were being touted and then they'd be able to justify a viva for all those students.  My guess is that the cheats won't read the essay or be able to explain their thinking, research etc...

Anyway off out for a play

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#30 Re: Academic cheating
March 05, 2009, 11:40:42 am
It is Jasper, a paltry sum. Part of me doesn't like doing it and the defences to the action are not the most robust but I've lost too much money and too many clients have gone into administration for me to turn down the dosh.

I can appreciate that. The best course of action may have been to take the money and not advertise the fact on here in what appeared (to some people) to be a boastful manner.

Anyway off out for a play

You cunt.  ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#31 Re: Academic cheating
March 05, 2009, 12:07:19 pm
...and not advertise the fact on here in what appeared (to some people) to be a boastful manner.

I have a dim and distant recollection that this is not the first time this topic has cropped up on the forums, but can't find the thread and have work to get on with.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#32 Re: Academic cheating
March 05, 2009, 11:44:36 pm
yep we've definitely had this one before... the last time Sloper was seeking to salve his conscience by starting a thread on cheating students that he was writing essays for.  :-\

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#33 Re: Academic cheating
March 05, 2009, 11:53:00 pm
How much would you pay for someone to provide you with a, ahemmm, 'model answer' to 'guide' you in your studies?

Nothing... nada.... nil points.  You ought to know better Slopes and you're only posting the topic 'cos you feel as guilty as a hen killing dog.   :kiss1:

andy_e

• forum hero
#34 Re: Academic cheating
March 05, 2009, 11:59:05 pm
I can understand why some people pay money, but I really don't agree with it. I'm the laziest person on my course and I'm still averaging a 2.1, and I'm doing all the work myself. I wouldn't pay a thing because a) I'm paying enough as it is to be taught the stuff, so might as well do it all myself b) I'd be tipping the playing field in my direction by paying for someone, and detracting from people who genuinely work hard, c) I'll probably need what I'm writing about in the future at some point, and d) it's satisfying to have done hard work for something and earnt a good grade (like bouldering really).

Paul B

• forum hero
#35 Re: Academic cheating
March 06, 2009, 12:15:19 am
This year my supervisor was busy writing a very in depth set of questions for one particular student after she recognized a peice of work from a year or two ago. He came in, sat down and the first thing he said was "so. you know I copied it then..." she was slightly taken aback. A quick chat with the bloke and he basically said that he just didn't know how the f*ck to do the piece of work or where to start. The sad part was if he'd gone to her office and said that, she'd have spent every available hour helping him out and he'd have got a decent mark instead of being kicked off the course. I think she was saddened by what happened and TBH I was quite relieved as the year before I had taught a 1/3 of the course and would have felt like I'd failed a bit if this had happened on my watch!

Sloper - I don't agree with what your doing. Feel free to justify it by saying things are tight etc. but its obvious you're not comfortable with it and rightly so. There are a whole lot of employment opportunities that are completely legal but have zero morals. Personally no matter how tight things were I wouldn't every get involved. Moral compasses are extremely interesting, no doubt if you hit the jug on the joker and it was covered in ice you'd claim the tick  ;D non?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#36 Re: Academic cheating
March 06, 2009, 12:38:41 am
There's a guy on my course who I have seen copy and paste the output of a GIS practical from somebody else (with her permission), change the colors and the name and hand it in on his own. This was work that had taken HOURS to do and is very copiable as everybody essentially uses very similar techniques and the same data set. I constantly see him cheating his way through the degree by copying from other people who seem to have no problem in him leeching from their hard graft. He boasts that he steals his lunch from the union every day. He's been done for plagiarism before.

It's shit but I am filled with a deep and unswervable instinct not to grass. Don't have any proof anyway.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#37 Re: Academic cheating
March 06, 2009, 01:29:16 am
It's shit but I am filled with a deep and unswervable instinct not to grass. Don't have any proof anyway.

Don't be soft, Will. Challange him about his behaviour. If he acts like a twat on being challanged then you will have no problem grassing him up.

Overall you will be doing him a favour by setting him up to cope better.

I'm sure this sort of thing was less of a problem when the government paid for higher education  :shrug:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#38 Re: Academic cheating
March 06, 2009, 08:21:45 am
I'm sure this sort of thing was less of a problem when the government taxpayer paid for higher education  :shrug:

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#39 Re: Academic cheating
March 06, 2009, 08:26:43 am
£300 is a paltry sum  :jaw: .... Did I blink and miss inflation go through the fucking roof  .... Maybe I should stop using the wheelbarrow in my allotment for ferrying compost and polish it up for when I want to take my cash to the supermarket ....  
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 08:32:49 am by grumpycrumpy »

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#40 Re: Academic cheating
March 06, 2009, 08:31:05 am
Lagers - I think in the olden days it was less of a problem because very few people had computers and there was no internet.  It was much more of an effort to plagarise anothers essay when (a) you had to have a physical copy and (b) write it out word for word rather than cut 'n paste.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#41 Re: Academic cheating
March 06, 2009, 09:16:51 am
That's precisely what I was going to say FD.

grumpy - £300 may not be a paltry sum but it is a paltry sum for which to sell out. Which was my point.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#42 Re: Academic cheating
March 06, 2009, 09:36:41 am
Sorry Jasper , edited my post rather heavyhandedly .... My response was to  Sloper's agreeing with you .....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal