UKBouldering.com

motivational issues (Read 12544 times)

erm, sam

• forum hero
#25 Re: motivational issues
July 30, 2008, 09:07:15 pm
just a quickie, think this point has been covered before. I spent ages being sick scared of climbing and though I knew I wanted to go climbing, it was not big routes, high cliffs and danger that got me excited. In fact they got me full of terror and dread. I spent quite some time going climbing and spending the time not really enjoying it at all but coming still coming back because I didn't know what else to do. Then I guess I went on my first trip to Font and the bouldering boom began and it all made sense. If you enjoy the process of changing and learning then by all means push your self, train to get less scared of falling etc, whatever, but the bottom line is: if you don't like doing it, don't do it. It matters to nobody but yourself. Would you be happier going for a walk in the outdoors or mountain biking, or watching F1 on the tv? Does this make sense?

Paz

• junky
#26 Re: motivational issues
July 31, 2008, 12:04:45 am
Yes that's a revelation. I now realise I've wasted my life.  I always did like Formula 1. 

Paul B

• forum hero
#27 Re: motivational issues
July 31, 2008, 12:25:43 am
this season has been good.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#28 Re: motivational issues
July 31, 2008, 08:17:15 am
Yes that's a revelation. I now realise I've wasted my life.  I always did like Formula 1. 

For a chain hotel they aint bad.

groovy_nut

#29 Re: motivational issues
July 31, 2008, 08:48:39 am
Some interesting points there. When I said the mental struggle was never what it was about, I meant this - the ridiculous feelings I'm having at the moment. The mental side of actually climbing are the main things that draw me to it - the feelings of progression and the 'head games', especially with trad.

I love bouldering for the same reasons but also for how simple and easy (or pure if you like) that it can be.

Anyway, I went to the wall last night and even though it was like being in a sauna, I enjoyed it for no other reason than I was there to climb and not worry about how hard/how long I did it for. Have also planned another weekend in the pass where there are a few routes I really, really want to do - they're just beautiful lines, don't care about the grades.

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
#30 Re: motivational issues
July 31, 2008, 08:52:48 am
Another _nut with postings about psychological issues  :whistle:

Oi Mister, don't think I didn't see that :p

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
#31 Re: motivational issues
July 31, 2008, 09:38:37 am
Simon Lee

> Some people are more excited and psyched about climbing on the drive to the crag than they are when they get there. I put this down as a disconnection between the 'idea' of climbing and to be compelled to climb as a gut response to the rock when you get there

I put it down to lots of stuff, but not gut response.  The thing that most drags me personally onto the rock whenever I've lost psyche, is the rock itself.  The proof being that when I'm talking myself out of leading, I'm ALWAYS happy to solo easy stuff.  Rock is good.

Sankey

> If you really don't fancy owt, just take a walk, enjoy the outdoors and wait for the mojo to return.

It depends on why you don't fancy it though.  If it's just natural wain then sure, do something else.  Sounded like it's deeper though, in which case it's right to look into the basis for it more.  Some of us do get quite wrapped up in negative thoughts, doesn't mean we can just stop doing that.

erm, sam

> if you don't like doing it, don't do it

I think that ignores the fact that climbing (be it the mental side or the physical one) IS hard, and full of challenges.  It would be failing (in a sense) to run away.

groovy_nut

Sod it, wasn't going to post this as your OP sounded so similar to stuff I've written before I actually thought it was a troll (although that's just self centred and paranoid), but having read the thread I've changed my mind.  I went through similar feelings (i.e. a massive difference between how I felt about climbing when I wasn't at the crag, and how I felt about it when I was), overcame some of them (eventually), and wrote an article.  Feel free to read it, not saying it'll help as it's just my story, I'm no climbing guru, but if it does great.  http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1082

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#32 Re: motivational issues
July 31, 2008, 10:28:55 am
I actually thought it was a troll

This isn't UKC, you don't get many trolls.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#33 Re: motivational issues
July 31, 2008, 10:53:25 am
Apart from Nik. Or is he more gnome?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#34 Re: motivational issues
July 31, 2008, 10:54:57 am
More like a Gremlin, but shorter and hairier.

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
#35 Re: motivational issues
July 31, 2008, 11:12:03 am
This isn't UKC, you don't get many trolls.

I know.  That's why I identified paranoia.  Psychological issues?  Me?   :wave:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#36 Re: motivational issues
July 31, 2008, 11:14:13 am
Simon Lee

> Some people are more excited and psyched about climbing on the drive to the crag than they are when they get there. I put this down as a disconnection between the 'idea' of climbing and to be compelled to climb as a gut response to the rock when you get there

I put it down to lots of stuff, but not gut response.  The thing that most drags me personally onto the rock whenever I've lost psyche, is the rock itself.  The proof being that when I'm talking myself out of leading, I'm ALWAYS happy to solo easy stuff.  Rock is good.

>Pottering on easy stuff doesnt prove anything. Instead, consider that your gut response ,when faced with a route at the crag that you are physically capable of, is not as strong or compelling as whatever fears are holding you back - even though you like the 'idea' of leading something challenging from, say, reading guidebooks on the bog.

The most frightened but motivated (about the idea of climbing) person will do something as daring as someone who is of equal ability who by comparison is indifferent and fearless for whom the internal conflict is not as great but the net result might be the same - ie leading the route. The tension/equilibrium between the two will vary between individuals. My contention is that you cant work on your motivation in the gut response sense but you can work on your fears - I am sure you can quote chapter and verse from the Rock Worriers Way and techniques and strategies to do this.

In reality the gut response and idea of aspect are very intertwined and feed off each other but I still think it is a distinction that is meaningful and useful in considering some of the motivational variation between individuals and what they actually get done on a day out at the crag.    

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#37 Re: motivational issues
July 31, 2008, 11:45:08 am
HOBBIT!!!

erm, sam

• forum hero
#38 Re: motivational issues
July 31, 2008, 08:48:18 pm

> if you don't like doing it, don't do it

I think that ignores the fact that climbing (be it the mental side or the physical one) IS hard, and full of challenges.  It would be failing (in a sense) to run away.

Yes, but the point is to enjoy the challenge. I also enjoy a challenge, but if ordered to shovel 1 tonne of pig shit from a to b without getting my new lacoste polo dirty, I would definatly find it "a challenge",  but is it something I would also enjoy? Probably not, so meerly to respond to challenge isn't the full story... Is it that actually you only really like going climbing with a few friends because the social environment you get from being with them is as important as the rock that you climb, for instance?
Is it that the idea of being out there on the sharp end is different from the reality! There are lots of different sharp ends after all... Anyway. I should be doing something other than write on the internet about something I am not that bothered about. You only live once. Hope you have fun.

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
#39 Re: motivational issues
August 01, 2008, 08:48:40 am
Yes, but the point is to enjoy the challenge.

Sometimes though, you just have to overcome a little hurdle and then you *can* overcome the challenge.  That's all I meant.

Paz

• junky
#40 Re: motivational issues
August 01, 2008, 11:57:36 am

Something noone's touched on in this thread yet, is the importance for getting motivated, of wearing the right clothes.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#41 Re: motivational issues
August 01, 2008, 10:21:26 pm
Yes, but the point is to enjoy the challenge.

Sometimes though, you just have to overcome a little hurdle and then you *can* overcome the challenge.  That's all I meant.

yeah I know. Sorry, guilty of some classic internet bolloxing on about some minor point for no good reason.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#42 Re: motivational issues
August 02, 2008, 09:34:53 am
Fuck it off and smoke some heroin.    8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal