UKBouldering.com

Why are young guys taking down such big numbers? (Read 35778 times)

Idol eyes

• junky
hello this is a great question. Some peole have already answered it but the thread is getting a bit confused. Young climbers seem to be improvibng for a number of reasons, more surport from parents(very noticeable in  USA),more surport from general community, comps are very respectable in many places and not ridiculed, training is much more understood, facilities are much more suited to modern hard bouldering(ultra steep reasonable holds), kids heal quicker and improve quicker, fantastic ability to learn and best natural testesterone. Creatine is helpining the elite and finally there is also abit of funny grading going on. Light body wieght due to bones not catching up yet and some preety interesting body shapes in general.Some of these things have been seen before but not altogether or so frequently. Look at the photo of  Benidict Moon in the power of Climbing book and you will see a great climber light strong,exellent body tension result Hubble, how many routes have Font 8b on them today 17 years later? Second ascent of Hubble The great Malc, incredibly light, was he disimilar from todays boulderer? If you add only a few percent of performace and some dodgy grades to a few of the old lads you come to todays standard(maybe).
Onda is a brilliant climber, nurtured by surportive parents, has his own little circuits and gets a great deal of other surport, I imagine he could do a one day ascent of Rapsody as could Paxi. If they turned there hand to other forms of climbing I am sure they would be brill, ice climbing is slightly diferent in that you need to be used to a new medium, ice is a bit like loose rock not every body has the mental skills  to deel with it.
Anyway as an aside dont believe every thing you hear. Onda is having trouble with Punt X a route of Alex Chabot,clearly much harder than Action D. Saw Monsieur Chabot climb the other, a rare combination of power and stamina.
Great topic, am continually stoked to see youngsters sorting things. Yours Stevie Haston.    

Idol eyes

• junky
still having those nightmares Slyvester Hastone??? the youth stealing your frozen projects

Idol eyes

• junky
Ps, great use off the word stoked,,, its good to see the boundies being pushed, innocence, the greatest tool to combat fear,

Paz

• junky
Most of the questions have already been done by Desnivel, but UKC's Jack Geraldd is interviewing said wonder child on saturday or something.  http://new.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=311907
Please can someone come up with some decent questions as a lot of mine are a bit shit.

Paz

• junky
saw him last night finishing off 500+ routes in a day.

Bloody hell, sickening.  Hope that was at Burbage or somewhere short. 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I don't think the power camps would have much call there, by his own admission not a strong boulderer yet. Shouldn't be long though, saw him last night finishing off 500+ routes in a day.

Can't be that week, I'd imagine you need a bit of power to get up Ray's Roof.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
That's not bouldering power, it's awesome crack climbing technique. Totally different. I agree with JB, from what I've seen the lad is operating on technique, natural ability, youthful balls of steel and enthusiasm. The power will come if he wants it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Fairy muff.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Quite, I imagine even The School's finest would fare rather poorly on Ray's roof.

Paz

• junky
I've had a thought, and I think it's really grreat, or I wouldn't waste everyone's time resurrecting this thread.

Obviously it's still down to increased numbers and walls, but in a nut shell in the olden days of the early mid 90s (according to ancient copies of OTE I found lingering next to the dead sea scrolls) it used to be a cliche going on for a rule of thumb that people into climbing used to be the sort who said `ooh I was never any good at sport at school, I was always the last one to be picked to be on the football team'.  As you may know excuse is that I never got glasses early enough, so I couldn't see the ball let alone kick it.  I don't know how many people at college used to be persisting in this futile of line of playing football, but it was a lot.  Very few of us actually twigged the Gym had climbing gear you could borrow for free).  Nowadays I reckon they've discovered what we knew all along, that climbing pisses on football, from a great great height.  And a lot more people who are the first people you'd pick for your team, or even some team captains, are now getting into it. 

webbo

• forum hero
nope i disagree,i know lots of old school heroes who played team sports to a decent level.even the likes of al manson ran cross country for yorkshire as well as being class at keepy upee.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
even the likes of al manson ran cross country for yorkshire

I personally had cross-country talent down as an archetypal "never got picked at football" trait.  I'm pretty sure my ability at it was a result of an ardent desire to put distance between myself and the bigger, more popular, more psychopathic lads.  And to this day, if you want to see the speed of light being broken, you just have to produce a rugby ball!

webbo

• forum hero
ok maybe cross country wasn't the best example.
swanny played rugby to a descent level and was still playing footy till recently.the regan brothers were no slouches at football either and billy bancroft was a dab hand at cricket.

saltbeef

• forum hero

I personally had cross-country talent down as an archetypal "never got picked at football" trait.  I'm pretty sure my ability at it was a result of an ardent desire to put distance between myself and the bigger, more popular, more psychopathic lads.  And to this day, if you want to see the speed of light being broken, you just have to produce a rugby ball!

likewise.
maybe it has something to do with co-ordination.

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb

Spot on: you just described my PE lessons! How about a survey to ask "who actually liked team sports as a teenager?"

Back to the OP, although most climbers take a few years to mature, every generation since the 1940s has had teenage prodigies who shake things ups, some more than others.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
it used to be a cliche going on for a rule of thumb that people into climbing used to be the sort who said `ooh I was never any good at sport at school, I was always the last one to be picked to be on the football team'.

At school I was shit at football, when picking teams with uneven numbers I was given to the bigger team as a handicap. At climbing trees though, I was the best. LAM.

dave

I seem to remember being dismal at footy but I crushed at egg&spoon.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
FWIW, I was on the school team for; Football, Rugby, Basketball, and Track, but not Cricket.

I think this point is somewhat arbitrary, but I'm sure it's creating a nice feeling of solidarity amongst all those who failed to make it onto their footy team. I haven't posted on this thread yet, mainly because I thought it was so painfully obvious as to why we're all getting destroyed by young guys in climbing.

Climbing has a distinct advantage for those with high strength/low weight ratio. Coupled with the fact that all the youngs guys train fucking hard, have desire equal to that of Himeros, and have all the information available making the slog to the top rather more linear. It's nothing more complicated than that. I suppose the next thing that will be asked if why is it taking place in climbing and not any other sport? I think this is because of the nature of climbing and the relationship to the strength/weight ratio.

The only other sensible thing I've read in this thread is that the pool of climbers is always increasing thus we'll be seeing individuals at the tail end of the normal distribution. Who knows, maybe we haven't even see someone in the 99th percentile yet! It's possible.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I bet your school was tiny. Why were you so shit at cricket?

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
His trainers clashed with the rest of the strip?

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
 :lol:  I think Cricket didn't suit my alpha male persona. Then again, it could have been that I was fucking shite at bowling, couldn't be arsed with fielding, and I would get struck out when batting far too easily.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
At climbing trees though, I was the best.

Likewise. I also remember our rugby pitch had a supporting wall made of quarried granite blocks, which i started trying to traverse one afternoon, and every time i fell off I would go back to just before the point i fell off and have to do that section before i carried on. very ethical. This was 10 years before I ever heard of rock climbing, so i guess i was doomed before I even started.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
:lol:  I think Cricket didn't suit my alpha male persona. Then again, it could have been that I was fucking shite at bowling, couldn't be arsed with fielding, and I would get struck out when batting far too easily.

Nothing worse than being a mediocre cricketer.  :(

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
Hasn't Nige got something to add at this juncture?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Wasn't he the straightest bowler in Carnforth?

Aged 6?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal