UKBouldering.com

Lorry Driving Wads (Read 3149 times)

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Lorry Driving Wads
July 07, 2008, 05:38:57 pm
Due to the bottom dropping out of the driving instructor market, I am seeking new employment. Any of you truckers know if its worth me doing my class C, and what the work situation will be like if I get said licence? Some agencies I've rang have said don't bother, theirs no work, others have said theirs plenty, which leaves me confused. Bear in mind as well I have no experience at this sort of thing, will that count against me? I'm looking at paying about 800-900 for the course. Thanks in advance.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Lorry Driving Wads
July 07, 2008, 06:29:10 pm
Bubba's blog might be a place to start

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Lorry Driving Wads
July 07, 2008, 07:05:08 pm
Due to the bottom dropping out of the driving instructor market

Interesting, especially considering all the adverts to become driving instructors that have appeared recently.  Has this created a glut of instructors?

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Lorry Driving Wads
July 07, 2008, 07:11:57 pm
The area I live in has reached saturation point, at least where I live. Don't believe a word of the adverts either, I'd have to work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, and I still probably wouldn't earn the qouted amounts.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4 Re: Lorry Driving Wads
July 08, 2008, 09:48:16 am
I've never believed the adverts. It's pretty simple maths to work out how much you're going to earn based on how much lessons cost per hour less how much it costs to run the vehicle and other expenses.  :shrug:

Don't know how they get to the estimated earnings figures bandied about. Oh, yes I do, they are lying.

ZB - Personally I'd be considering a career that's longevity is less dependant on oil prices not doubling again in the next year or so. Just a thought.  :-\

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Lorry Driving Wads
July 08, 2008, 11:44:59 am

ZB - Personally I'd be considering a career that's longevity is less dependant on oil prices not doubling again in the next year or so. Just a thought.  :-\

Yeah I agree, but my hand's being forced somewhat at the moment, I really need a job!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#6 Re: Lorry Driving Wads
July 08, 2008, 11:55:50 am
Fair play! I've been reading too much doom and gloom oil stuff recently and unfortunately most of it appears to be true.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Lorry Driving Wads
July 12, 2008, 04:28:55 pm
Due to the bottom dropping out of the driving instructor market, I am seeking new employment. Any of you truckers know if its worth me doing my class C, and what the work situation will be like if I get said licence? Some agencies I've rang have said don't bother, theirs no work, others have said theirs plenty, which leaves me confused. Bear in mind as well I have no experience at this sort of thing, will that count against me? I'm looking at paying about 800-900 for the course. Thanks in advance.

Just back from a week away, sorry to not reply sooner.

Class C work doesn't pay that well. C+E isn't exactly great, but at least you can earn a living wage.

But the main problem will be finding work without experience. The majority of agencies won't be able to find you a useful amount of work until you have held your license for 2 years. The reason for this seems to be that most of their clients' insurance companies will only insure you to drive the clients kit as a named driver until you have 2 years on your license (note that that doesn't mean 2 years experience though). Of course they could do this but it's not really worth their time and expense on administration if you're only going to be working for them for a day or two. There are exceptions to this, but almost every single agency i've spoken to will tell you the same.

So this leaves you with having to find a regular job with a company that will take a risk with a new driver. Some places are fine with it - when I only had my C license I answered some ads in the Sheffield Star and some places were like - "no problem, if you've got the license then you can drive them" but again quite a few wanted experience.

The other problem at the moment is obviously the fuel prices. Hauliers are really feeling the pinch so may hold off on taking new people on until things get easier. It's probably quite a few smaller firms will go to the wall. But the industry won't shut down because there's no alternative in place. Goods have to be moved around the country and the only way it can be usefully done is by truck.

Anyway, despite all that doom and gloom there are obviously openings available - Canute/Wilkos took me on with no experience and they always seem to be trialling new drivers out. Unfortunately 99% of their operation is C+E so they're never going to take you on with just C :(

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Lorry Driving Wads
July 31, 2008, 03:13:22 pm

Are you going for it then beard of zod?

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Lorry Driving Wads
July 31, 2008, 05:57:17 pm
Don't know mate, dithering a bit. Managed to crush the theory last Wednesday, but then got offered a job on the Thurs! I'm gonna start that soon, so it kind of negates the need to get agency work. My original plan was to get a job involving shifts, and do a bit of driving on my days off, but this new job doesn't really offer those hours, so I've reached a bit of a stalemate.

However I've got my assessment lesson in Stockport on Monday, so I'll see how I get on, and keep you updated. If your in the area, at around half two, sound the horn for Zod. 10 4 good buddy.

mark s

• junky
#10 Re: Lorry Driving Wads
August 05, 2008, 07:36:05 pm
ive had my class 2 for a few years nows.driving work is dying off a bit.i have the double whammy of work slowing up in driving and i drive a tipper.delivering stone to the building trade.i'm a useless twat who cant do anything else so gotta stick with it.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Re: Lorry Driving Wads
August 06, 2008, 01:50:22 pm

Apparantly tipper work has been the hardest hit :(

Do you get paid by the load?

mark s

• junky
#12 Re: Lorry Driving Wads
August 06, 2008, 07:43:23 pm
yeah,seems it.doesnt help when a full 20 tonne load of limestone is only worth a few hundred quid anyway.
i get paid by the hour,some of the drivers in tarmac colours get a percentage normally about 20 odd ithink.but if tarmac trucks are standing they still get paid by tarmac.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal