UKBouldering.com

Doylo nails best limestone 7b+ in Britain! (Read 6869 times)

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
Amazing first ascent from Doylo on Friday evening:

http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=363

And then another cracker just to the right from Matt Georgiou the day after:

http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=364

dave

that looks well brown. nice one doyloid.

BenF

• forum hero
Excellent stuff, all the stuff that's been reported so far looks awesome so I really should get down to the Sea View Wall pretty soon.  Good work guys. 

How tidal is the climbing and the approach by the way?

Pantontino

• forum hero
It is tidal, but only just.

BenF

• forum hero
Thanks Simon. 

Pantontino

• forum hero
I've just remembered Doylo's final comment:

"I'd have to say that it's of a similar quality to stuff like Surprise de Chef at Ailfroide, or maybe even Midnight Lightning!”

:dance1:

BenF

• forum hero
Wow!  I'm going to check the tide times right now...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Looks great. Good work doyle!

chris

• menacing presence
looks like there could be a sit start too?

thought this was mules little project.........

Pantontino

• forum hero
looks like there could be a sit start too?

Could be... ;)

T_B

• forum hero

"I'd have to say that it's of a similar quality to stuff like Surprise de Chef at Ailfroide, or maybe even Midnight Lightning!”

Then <i>Prior to the ascent Chris abbed the line and glued the crux edge hold after it had broken on an early attempt.</i>. Classic. I love Britain.

superfurrymonkey

• junky
Check out the dyno from a couple of good holds above the undercut on flashpoint to the first jug, I'm crap at dyno's so didn't manage it.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
thought this was mules little project.........

It was!  ;)

Pantontino

• forum hero

Then <i>Prior to the ascent Chris abbed the line and glued the crux edge hold after it had broken on an early attempt.</i>. Classic. I love Britain.

What, so you think that the holds on Surprise de Chef etc have remained untainted/unchanged from when the boulder was first climbed on? Yeah, right. ::)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog

Some would argue Midnight Lightnings classic status. Ive never seen a more slippery polished hold than the first good foothold on Midnight! It does take something away from the experience.!

Doylo

• forum hero
Yes Ben i would go at low tide. Flashpoint is only just tidal but the other stuff to the right is more tidal.
T.B yes unsurprisingly this problem that has never before been touched by human hand did have a loose hold. It no longer does.
Personally i think this problem is the limestone equivalent of many classic 7b+s that i have done abroad like Midnight, Surprise de Chef and Rubis Sur L'ongle (its certainly more interesting climbing than Rubis if not quite as stellar a visual line). Anyway this is a summer problem so get it while its hot. If anyones keen i'll certainly go bck to help with beta. Also the sitter will go at about 7c+ but is no big deal. Also shorties beware, i'm interested to see how climbers of a shorter stature will tackle this one. Enjoy!

n_man

• obsessive maniac
Well said Adam L I'd much sooner climb this than Midnight. For climbing reasons, crowds and polish. Would totally recommend Tahoe 'just up the road' though.

BenF

• forum hero
Thanks Chris.  No doubt I will report back soon exactly how a slightly shorter person (but not exactly short) was completely shut down by this. 

Does this wall seep a little bit by the way?  Monolith seemed to think so but hey what does he know about anything other than bicep curls?

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Christopher has picked up a plum here. It looks stunning in the photos and even more immense in the flesh. Imagine if you relatively scaled LPT down to the constraints of the perfect boulder problem and this is it. Excellent shit.

superfurrymonkey

• junky
I've know the short mans way if anyones interested!

BenF

• forum hero
Yes please. 

Although I'd rather someone got rid of the rain so I can get down there tomorrow.

Huffy

• obsessive maniac
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/forceit
Fantastic looking line Doyle.

I'll give you a bell when next in Wales/.

superfurrymonkey

• junky
Forecast looks promising for tomorrow, Neil Dyer put his heel in the same jug as you take with your left hand and rocked up into the undercut, simple as that  ;)

Doylo

• forum hero
thats cool.this is how i first envisaged the sequence but it didn t work for me.i think its more powerful this way but probably less body tensiony.how many goes did it take him jamie,did he flash it? anyone else have a go?  it ll prob be getting wet soon with all this bloody rain.huff u slag,u got a new phone or what?

superfurrymonkey

• junky
He got it second go after trying it your way, I had a little play on it and found it was quite a stretch to the jug and was too short to start with right hand on pinchy side pull, it's a hard life being short when ur not that short.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal