UKBouldering.com

Windows IE Homepage problems (Read 1796 times)

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Windows IE Homepage problems
June 03, 2008, 11:13:33 am
Grrrr.

Windows is being gay again.

Whenever I change the Homepage in IE (yes I personally use Firefox, but this is a shared computer, and we have to use IE sometimes), it always reverts itself to MSN

I haven't checked MS's website yet, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was one particular update to add or remove which would sort it out for me? According to 62nds Windows is now fully updated.

Any ideas?

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#1 Re: Windows IE Homepage problems
June 03, 2008, 01:50:39 pm
Are you running IE from a shortcut or from the original IE icon on the desktop? Also what account are you running windows under? Not all accounts have appropriate privileges to set the home page

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#2 Re: Windows IE Homepage problems
June 03, 2008, 03:21:49 pm
Are you running IE from a shortcut or from the original IE icon on the desktop?
Both. I've also tried changing it in the Properties of the desktop icon, and under Tools -> Internet Options.

Also what account are you running windows under? Not all accounts have appropriate privileges to set the home page
There's only one Admin account, and nothing else.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Windows IE Homepage problems
June 03, 2008, 03:30:34 pm
There's only one Admin account, and nothing else.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leaving yourself wide open to viruses/trojans/spyware/adware/malware/etc.

The whole point of having restricted privileges for user accounts is so that your system doesn't get screwed up.  This harks back to UNIX systems where mainframes were used by multiple people, many of whom could easily fuck things up as they don't have a scooby what they were doing.  Its a heritage that continued in *NIX systems, but was only really adopted by Micro$oft with I think XP.  Most people see it as a hinderance and then get frustrated when their computers end up slugish because of all the malware shit thats been installed.

Unless your developing web-pages and really need to use IE to ensure your sites work with all browsers I can't think of any reason not to ditch IE completely.  Its a piece of piss to import bookmarks from IE to Firefox (might be slightly more hassle to copy all your cookies and passwords over mind).

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#4 Re: Windows IE Homepage problems
June 03, 2008, 11:54:45 pm
Im at a loss then. I cant find any reported cases of a homepage not being saved other that those two reasons. You can always try re-installing IE or upgrading to IE7 (assuming you havent already) and see if that helps?

As slack-line says tho - Id just ditch IE and go for Firefox. I use this with IETab installed for the small number of sites which Firefox doesnt work properly with or render properly (usually Microsoft ones :) )

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal