UKBouldering.com

Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread (Read 110284 times)

ton

#450 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 26, 2008, 01:45:17 pm
Like Fatdoc says, you can get some seriously thin washers (0.25mm)

No idea how to link, but look here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=356

Are you sure both your pistons are fully retracted and you don't have one sticking?

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#451 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 26, 2008, 02:47:49 pm
It's not possible to attach post mount calipers to IS mounts (and vice versa) - you'd end up with the caliper at ninety degrees to where it needs to be.

If the screws attaching your caliper to the fork screw in in a forwards direction (in line with your frame), you have post mount. To adjust them, you need to slacken the screws off and then you'll be able to slide the caliper from side to side. Newer shimano brakes use this system.

I'm pretty sure that 2006 shimano, and pre-2009 rockshox use IS mounts (if the screws go in sideways). In this case, you'll need washers to space out the caliper. You can buy washers pretty cheaply from CRC or an LBS.

It is possible to use post mounts on IS and vice versa with a suitable adaptor  - see http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=post+mount+is+adaptor&x=10&y=10 or here http://www.hopegb.com/voir_hbm.html

If you have post mounts then  the caliper should be slotted so you can centre the caliper.  If you have IS mount then you need to use washers to centre the caliper.  If you use a post mount adaptor to IS mount you centre using the post mount on the adaptor.  There's no need to file washers down, 0.25mm isn't a thin washer, 0.1mm is.  If you haven't got enough play in the slots of a post mount then you have a serious piston problem not a caliper mounting problem.  If you are using a post to IS adaptor and you don't have enough play in the post mounts use washers on the IS to caliper interface to get enough play.

Anything else is bodging and shouldn't be done.  Word.

squeek

• junky
#452 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 26, 2008, 03:12:36 pm
Okay, seems the solution is that I need thinner washers than the ones I've got.  Thanks, I'll get on it.  Want them sorted soon, as I'm off to visit the 7 stanes parks for a long weekend.

ton

#453 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 26, 2008, 03:16:52 pm
It is possible to use post mounts on IS and vice versa with a suitable adaptor 

True, I was just replying to an earlier post, where Squeek said his caliper was attached DIRECTLY to the forks without an adaptor - so, as you rightly point out, it's nothing to do with this.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#454 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 26, 2008, 03:58:02 pm
i'm whiling away a few minutes before a rather soul destroying 18 hr on call looms,

and I've had a look at these

www.orangebikes.co.uk/2008bikes/crush-upg.php

www.marin.co.uk/2009/bikedetail.php?ModNo=3972-1F

Now, I've hankered over the pace hardtail a bit, but it will be £2k, as will the whyte 19... these are the more bespoke end of the 140mm fork hardtail market. If i do get one i'd rather not spend that amount of cash... but i'm fancying a hardtail just for larfs... variety.. and as a pressie to me for surviving 4 decades of life.

Both the above have +s and -s, mainly sram vs shimano.

head angle is the desired 67 degrees on both.

downside is non adjustable length fork.... a damn good fork mind... but i'm really used to being able to wind in for the hills, and i'm a bit concerned about that.

what i'm keen to ask those who've got one of these *hardcore* hardtails is how compliant are they? certainly the whyte and Pace are well known for it... the marin bumf talks about this... my last orange was rock stiff at the back (missle) but there again a differnt type of bike.

If the Orange is a little flexy to aid grip / my back then I'm considering a frame purchase (always a mare, as I often fall between small and medium) and then either get a shop to build or FBSF and I will build it up... i could get me a wind down fork then.. (magura thor most likely) but then the cost of the project rockets... there again do i need a wind in fork? obviously closer to the time i'll get me a test ride (this planned purchase is some months away)

decisions, decisions...... any advice  / thoughts???

fatkid2000

• junky
#455 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 26, 2008, 04:14:57 pm
I seem to remember that special 40th Birthday isn't some months way - but hey thats only a rumour.

Psychologically you know you want & already bought the Pace - don't you now!!!!!

18 hours on call  :lol: :lol: :lol: - I'm doing 6 hours, thanks for the career advice doc.  :thumbsup:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#456 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 26, 2008, 04:16:16 pm
then there's these

www.cotic.co.uk/product/soul

www.genesisbikes.co.uk/index.php?bikeID=13&show_bike=TRUE

but now i'm in the steel vs alu quandry... and these are 130mm up front not 140mm, never mind cost....

oh dear, not easy this...

and now i've seen this

www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?page_id=590

which is the same as FBSFs new stead... which will take the desired 140mm travel no worries

goddam - i'm well confused now!!

fatkid2000

• junky
#457 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 26, 2008, 04:31:50 pm
.....And we all thought fatdoc was the bike guru, even he's getting confused now.

Santa Cruz chameloen ?  http://www.santacruzmtb.com/chameleon/

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#458 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 26, 2008, 05:14:36 pm
what i'm keen to ask those who've got one of these *hardcore* hardtails is how compliant are they? certainly the whyte and Pace are well known for it... the marin bumf talks about this... my last orange was rock stiff at the back (missle) but there again a differnt type of bike.

The Ms-Isle has the stiffest rear I've ridden - too stiff for most purposes but then it's only really built for 4x.

The Chameleon is a different story - rear feels perfect - not sloppy but just the right amount of springyness to not be a total boneshaker but to give good power delivery on the pedals. You're welcome to nick mine for a test if you want to check it out...of course remembering mine has pretty cheapo/cast off kit on it, so one with some decent components chucked at it would be amazing.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#459 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 26, 2008, 06:03:16 pm
i admitt that one got under the radar, i was always of the opinion that it was a jump bike that could be sanitized to ride uphill... got nice head angle and short stays (my preference)... if i bag off the *standard* makes then if i went bespoke this frame is nearly there... i'll ruminate a bit more - as cost will be a factor...

fatkid2000

• junky
#460 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 26, 2008, 06:11:09 pm
18 bikes will order in a s/cruz build kit, and then add any fork you want - so kind of semi-custom - so you could get another magura on this or any other fork you may fancy trying. Thats what I did with my Heckler anyway.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#461 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 26, 2008, 07:29:26 pm
sounds good...

apart from the dent to the wallet

i'm tryingto see what you actually get over the *standard* makes, and i'm sfraid it's quite a lot, you'll get proper seals cart hubs, the brakes of your choice, better BB and rings and the drive chain of your choice.

arse, the marin looked great - but for the bg four O it doesnt cut the mustard...

bubs, i'll ge gratetful to have a blast round the park on your stead sometime please matey.. i'm taking my time over this, there are cotics, genesis and Pace all for demo from the wonderful 18bikes emporium!!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#462 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 26, 2008, 07:35:55 pm

Help yerself fella - rear mech is a bit bent so indexing is out and the rear needs truing after Penmachno but you'll still get the idea.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#463 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 27, 2008, 08:23:22 pm
is there any rim tape bettererer than velox..?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#464 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 28, 2008, 11:57:49 am
i'm whiling away a few minutes before a rather soul destroying 18 hr on call looms,

and I've had a look at these

www.orangebikes.co.uk/2008bikes/crush-upg.php

www.marin.co.uk/2009/bikedetail.php?ModNo=3972-1F

Now, I've hankered over the pace hardtail a bit, but it will be £2k, as will the whyte 19... these are the more bespoke end of the 140mm fork hardtail market. If i do get one i'd rather not spend that amount of cash... but i'm fancying a hardtail just for larfs... variety.. and as a pressie to me for surviving 4 decades of life.

Both the above have +s and -s, mainly sram vs shimano.

head angle is the desired 67 degrees on both.

downside is non adjustable length fork.... a damn good fork mind... but i'm really used to being able to wind in for the hills, and i'm a bit concerned about that.

If the Orange is a little flexy to aid grip / my back then I'm considering a frame purchase (always a mare, as I often fall between small and medium) and then either get a shop to build or FBSF and I will build it up... i could get me a wind down fork then.. (magura thor most likely) but then the cost of the project rockets... there again do i need a wind in fork? obviously closer to the time i'll get me a test ride (this planned purchase is some months away)

decisions, decisions...... any advice  / thoughts???

I've got a Felt dirt jump bike which I spent a load of cash doin' up (Fox 36 Talus / Atomlab wheels / e13 chain thingy) but have since hardly used.  My new plan is to dump all the stuff onto a Nicolai Argon FR frame.  I'm hoping it's going to be a great decision...

http://www.nicolai.net/products/e-frames/e-argon-fr.html

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#465 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 28, 2008, 07:23:57 pm
18 bikes do nicolai..

Yossarian

• forum hero
#466 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 28, 2008, 07:46:01 pm
that sounds like a german pr0n film.

(who are 18 bikes?)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#467 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 28, 2008, 09:25:19 pm

That Nicolai frame isn't cheap is it?

http://www.18bikes.co.uk/

Yossarian

• forum hero
#468 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 28, 2008, 09:33:29 pm
no. but since my last false economy (with a latvian hooker) i've vowed to spend more on things that really matter...

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#469 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
October 11, 2008, 07:50:26 pm
Ok, I know I've made a seasonal defection from the leg shaving world, but I have just aquired one of these (picture seems to be actual size!)...

I know its not the greatest of machines compared to any of the steads in Fatdoc's huge stable of bicycles, but it'll do me for a bit of cross country over the winter. Can I be in your gang now?!?! More to the point, I am also selling one of my road bikes - details on the for sale forum!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#470 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
October 12, 2008, 07:22:17 pm
Welcome to the dark side.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#471 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
October 12, 2008, 08:14:41 pm
Ok, I know I've made a seasonal defection from the leg shaving world, but I have just aquired one of these (picture seems to be actual size!)...

I know its not the greatest of machines compared to any of the steads in Fatdoc's huge stable of bicycles, but it'll do me for a bit of cross country over the winter. Can I be in your gang now?!?! More to the point, I am also selling one of my road bikes - details on the for sale forum!

image not visible in safari...

tell me!!! :bounce:  must know!!

BTW due to cost of running i at present only have 3 bikes!!! that's a lot less then you perc eh?? ;)

sunday mornings, 8:30 ride time.... back home 13:15.. (yes, it's that tight!)

weds 18:30 [ get some lights] big fast crew thrash from eccy woods... pint in totley on way home... home 20:30 to 21:30 ishh...

I have trails to show you that will change your life mate!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#472 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
October 12, 2008, 08:22:07 pm
image not visible in safari...

tell me!!! :bounce:  must know!!

It's a Cinder Cone :)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful