UKBouldering.com

Intro to Welsh Bouldering (Read 9710 times)

Mike_H

• menacing presence
Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 21, 2003, 02:54:37 pm
Ok I know quite a few of you heads are knowledgable on the welsh bouldering ting and would appreciate a bit of beta.

Basically I'm looking to head down for a day trip and then drive back up to Southport for some Kite Surfing action on the Sunday night / Monday depending on what the wind is doing.

Looking for bouldering up to about V6 if the wind is blowing in the right direction, must be reasonably accessible etc and wouldn't mind linking a couple of venues together if possible.

-Any topos would be good as well

Word

dave

#1 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 21, 2003, 03:07:42 pm
you cold do worse than porth ysgo, although its a fair trek and if you are on your own (?) you could die.

Better bet would be wavelength area or somewhere like that its quite near other stuff.

Mike_H

• menacing presence
#2 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 21, 2003, 03:14:59 pm
I had thought about going to Porth Ysgo, but I'd already knocked that one on the head.

I'm really looking for a quick raid style venue, and given the landings at Porth Ysgo it probably isn't ideally suited.

dave

#3 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 21, 2003, 03:24:26 pm
i rate somewhere like wavelength, cromlech (shite but easy access), or maybe summert in ogwen. i've never been to angel bay but thats suppoesd to be bo when the conditions are right.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#4 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 21, 2003, 05:35:20 pm
Ogwen would be good because you could do milestone buttress boulder field, galt yr ogof and then RAC. If you weren't tired by then you could loop round to cromlech/wavelength area. Ogwen valley gets the sun too.

jimbo

• addict
#5 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 21, 2003, 05:46:00 pm
Cromlech boulders are definitely not 'shite'.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#6 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 21, 2003, 06:03:00 pm
They are ok. But if I was on a quick day trip I wouldn't make a point of visiting them.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#7 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 09:54:38 am
I have to say, Cromlech boulders are brilliant, with many a classic problem upon them.

dave

#8 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 10:00:47 am
wellyou know what i mean, not shite shite, just shite. Basically popularity is more down to position and easy access and the fact its where you park for the main pass crags, rather than quality of rock etc. I think if the sheep pen boulders and the cromlech swapped position it'd be a different story.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#9 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 10:05:16 am
I was gonna say Parisellas, but then I re-read your post and it said V6 - with the exception of Beaver Cleaver there are no V6's right?

Has anyone a topo?

dave

#10 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 10:07:43 am

Scouse D

• forum hero
#11 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 11:14:57 am
I think Lipstick is fair at V6, and I'd say Beaver Cleaver was no less than V7.

dave

#12 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 11:20:38 am
i think i find lipstick a bit easier than most cos i've got a big pinch-span on my hand compared to some, it seems.

for example can touch both Ctrl keys on a standard keyboard at once (thumb to middle finger) which is pretty usefull at times.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#13 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 11:23:35 am
Quote from: "dave"
i think i find lipstick a bit easier than most cos i've got a big pinch-span on my hand compared to some, it seems.

for example can touch both Ctrl keys on a standard keyboard at once (thumb to middle finger) which is pretty usefull at times.

Just had some funny looks going round the office trying to find a non ergo keyboard to measure my span on.

Shit - You do have a big span...  :shock:

dave

#14 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 11:27:51 am
of course when i say touch i mean i can contact them (corners) without depressing the surrounding keys, but its far from actually having like pads flat on the top of the keys, that wold be proper big.

I think its from playing t'piano as a youth.

You know what they say, big span, big........gloves?

Scouse D

• forum hero
#15 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 11:42:32 am
My thumb only just gets past the space bar!

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#16 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 11:43:44 am
Quote from: "Scouse D"
My thumb only just gets past the space bar!

Mine doesnt even clear the space bar! Very small hands, but great for crimping like a Mo Fo

dave

#17 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 11:44:52 am
you're a "Alt Gr" guy then.

dave

#18 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 11:49:16 am
Quote from: "Adam Lincoln"
Mine doesnt even clear the space bar! Very small hands, but great for crimping like a Mo Fo

remind me of tha blackadder sketch...."You have a woman's hand my lord!"

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#19 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 12:36:06 pm
I made it to the windows button with both hands. My right hand has at least a whole buttons worth of extra span!

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#20 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 12:47:03 pm
Getting back to the original thread, Wavelength is easy to suss: Park in the small layby opposite Jerry's Roof, cross the river and stroll past the obvious slopey traverse (Fear of a Slopey Planet V6) and through the grounds of Ynys Ettws (Boysens Roof V3-4). From the back of the building (CC hut) bear rightwards for 300 metres, crossing a small stream to behold Utopia, a large block with many superb problems. From here work up the hill past an obvious roof (Pieshop) to reach the Wavelength block. This is killer, as is the Grooves Boulder a mere skip across the hillside to the left. Further up and across towards Dinas Mot there is more...

Scouse D

• forum hero
#21 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 12:59:45 pm
You forgot to mention the neo-classic Boysen's Roof sit start at an amenable V7 :wink:

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#22 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 01:08:44 pm
Simon, we are planning a trip to NW for the weekend of the 13/14th September dare I ask, will the guide be out?

Dave

tc

• junky
#23 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 01:09:41 pm
Get some work done, Panton!
tc

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#24 Intro to Welsh Bouldering
August 22, 2003, 01:17:56 pm
Wavelength boulders are well worth the trip, walk in looks proper distance from the car but is not too bad actually.
Does any one know what the problem is on the left of utopia block going from crimps in the break to a J shaped crimpy sidepull ting up and left and then again for the higher break. Couldn't get the sidepull quite right..... good prob tho reckon must be in mid V grades

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal