UKBouldering.com

The tyranny of gear and faff. (Read 12730 times)

Shy Yorkshireman

• regular
    • climblox
#25 Re: The tyranny of gear and faff.
August 22, 2007, 08:44:15 am
Oooh, that would make for painful crimping!!   :'(
Just think about the thumb spraggs though!
I'm not sure about this thread surly it belongs on ukclimbing, Dear ukclimbing I think that trad climbing is boring why don't we bolt everything and and put loweroff's in (like they've done at millstone :off:) It would be far better, discuss. Then the sound of beards twitching in rage, and then a flurry of activity on the key board. Shocked and disgusted i was.....blarr blarr blarr.
At the end of the day you get much more out of shiting yourself for an hour or two on some death pitch somewhere faffing in piece after piece of shite, till you manage to convince yourself that they will hold. When really you know damm well they won't. Finally you do the move that wouldn't even get a v grade but a few moments before was the hardest thing you ever looked at. You get the slot and realize it not a jug it's a slopper and the backs closed, no cam, your arse goes again. but you get on with it! why because your a man(or girl) and because you don't have the luxury of dropping two few on to the pad. You keep going cos you've got to, And then just before the rock ends and you have to climb 60feet of wet vertical grass, you look back down the line of your two ropes and 25 quickdraws. And you think fuck me that was good!

And that moment lives with you for months.

Lowering off or walking down the otherside of the boulder, is just not quite the same. (it's more fun though.)

Von~Ryan

#26 Re: The tyranny of gear and faff.
August 22, 2007, 09:03:36 pm
Lets remember that a lot of trad routes were put up when there wasn't a choice of much or any gear, but they were still done.
What I mean is it's not something you conciously change, or train to do. The more you climb trad the more comfortable and aware you are of YOURSELF, the only changing factor. Guidebooks should have the information the first accentist chose important, unless anything changes on the route. afterall they had no info and still done pretty alright on the route the first time round. Didn't they? Just my views

ksjs

• menacing presence
#27 Re: The tyranny of gear and faff.
August 24, 2007, 02:51:43 pm
good post. how much have you actually climbed routes / venues where you can fall at leisure? in other words something with good gear, where you arent ever depending on an individual piece and there are no ledges / slabby bits to smash into? if youre getting annoyed with yourself because youre backing up less than bomber gear / legitimately concerned about hitting something on the way down / worried about the one good bit of gear you have failing then i dont think these are situations to be annoyed about and you should continue to be prudent. if however you are somewhere like Sharpnose and youve got good gear and a clean fall and youre still nervous / backing up good gear then there is a "problem". the answer is probably to climb venues / routes like this and know / believe that the gear is good and you can fall then take the falls or cruise to glory. basically i think you cant be too hard on yourself until youve given yourself a fair chance i.e. you shouldnt expect to be relaxed above poor gear or when youre looking at leg breaking / worse falls.

despite my words i still havent got this cracked and do suffer from occasional unnecessary faff. sport climbing and falling really helped - after a sustained period of sport falls i was able to take this mindset to trad. i dont think though i will ever be able to convince myself to do dangerous trad as i know mistakes happen but i do very much plan to push myself to harder / run out trad as long as there are clean falls and good gear.

Paz

• junky
#28 Re: The tyranny of gear and faff.
August 25, 2007, 12:36:10 am
Don't do dangerous trad unless you feel like it.  But what I'd call scary (ie. call dangerous to myself, but not to my mum, because afterwards I was in control at every point), maybe you'd call dangerous.  It's not quite as dangerous if you know there's not that much risk of falling off.

Cock fingers and sharpnose on the same thread can only remind me of CockNose from Bo Selecta (I've googled it so you don't have to (came up with surprisingly few  dodogy google images incidentally)):

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#29 Re: The tyranny of gear and faff.
August 27, 2007, 02:41:17 pm
I'm not sure about this thread surly it belongs on ukclimbing, Dear ukclimbing I think that trad climbing is boring why don't we bolt everything and and put loweroff's in (like they've done at millstone :off:) It would be far better, discuss. Then the sound of beards twitching in rage, and then a flurry of activity on the key board. Shocked and disgusted i was.....blarr blarr blarr.

Actually I am reasonably familiar with UKC and there's a reason I posted the topic on here instead. Over there I'd have got a fair amount of dross and probably the only sensible answers would have been from "Ropeboy", "Adam L", "andi turner" and "Paz"...

Anyway replies coming up, sorry for doing them seperately I can't be arsed copy and pasting the quotes and missing out people's names and stuff.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#30 Re: The tyranny of gear and faff.
August 27, 2007, 02:43:36 pm
I sprained my ankle a while back and dropped my grade and did a lot of easy trad and found that my gear placement became faster and more accurate, ie chosing the right wire first time, which meant less faffing. I now tend to make a quick decision on routes, if I get a good bit of pro in I tend to run it out.

Good call. When I am forced (unwillingly) to do easy-for-me trad routes, I do try to focus on swift and smooth ascents (climbing WELL being more important than climbing HARD). I shall try to more conciously focus on the smooth gear as well as the smooth climbing side.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#31 Re: The tyranny of gear and faff.
August 27, 2007, 02:56:31 pm
The main thing, though, is maybe to embrace the faff a bit more, after all its the craft that seperates trad from the rest. Several of the most memorable (and satisfying) pitches of my life have been mainly gear-placing exercises with the moves secondary, in fact a lot of the moves are done to get in a more comfortable position from which to place more. Its only by approaching them in this way that you can maintain the composure to continue. Its not that the moves are easy or irrelevant, its more that the terrain is so intimidating that the craft becomes the stopping block. Anyone can do hard moves straightforward gear, but in the midst of wierdness its a different ball-game.

Wise words from JB... I've thought about this before and reckon that our climbing wall/sport climbing culture has taken such a grip that we sometimes only tend to think of 'climbing' being moving upwards whilst pulling on/standing on the rock.  I've fallen into this trap a few times when out tradding after a spell of bouldering or sport climbing when I'm stood at the bottom or on a stance belaying thinking 'well... we're not getting much climbing done today' and then have to kick myself that the whole faffing thing is part of the game. 

Very interesting views, cheers for that!! Not really a perspective I'd fully considered even though I enjoy placing gear, strange huh. Maybe I'd thought of it as a necessary evil that can be fun, rather than a simple good aspect of climbing?? Still seems strange that that viewpoint seems refreshing to me as I've always said I like the jigsaw puzzle aspect to gear placing. Hmmmm....

I will try to take that on board. Reducing the faff is one thing. Reducing my aversion to the (remaining and necessary) faff is another.

Incidentally I did two climbs recently both of which were heavily orientated around that faff. Funnily enough both of them were 3 star E3s at Pavey Ark and both of them revolved as much about getting in enough gear to avoid hitting ledges below. The first I did was Cascade Direct which was pretty gruelling faffing around, mostly due to some very streno bridging but also due to how hard the gear was to see. The second was Cruel Sister which had much more relaxed faffing due to the open wall nature, however it was still scary until I excavated a hidden wire slot. The latter definitely felt like the faffing was more part of the game but maybe that was just due to more comfortable situation??

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#32 Re: The tyranny of gear and faff.
August 27, 2007, 02:59:47 pm
Think of it like this;

Grade style of climbing in terms of amount of faff.

Zero faff - bouldering
Minor faff - OS sport climbing
Medium faff - redpointing/easy(er) trad
More faff - harder trad/ice
Extreme faff of the highest order - bigwall climbing/aid climbing

So if you were told that you could never do trad again and you had to pick a pursuit at either end of the scale, which would it be? Bouldering or bigwall climbing? If you'd pick bouldering over bigwalling, it may well be that you're deluding yourself that you're a true tradist?! For me, the slight annoyance of messing around with gear is far outweighed by the aspect of adventure, exploration and climbing big lines.  ;)

Interesting scale there. I agree that I tend towards the less faff end of the spectrum and enjoy sport and bouldering as well as trad. HOWEVER I am definitely a true traddist at heart. I just feel trad is right for me and it really inspires me. I am also getting urges to more faffy trad (i.e. loose sea-cliffs) as well. And messing around with gear isn't always an annoyance....just sometimes!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#33 Re: The tyranny of gear and faff.
August 27, 2007, 03:06:58 pm
Fiend, of all the 50 or so partners I have ever climbed with, and it must range from total novices to really good climbers, I haven't seen anyone place more redundant gear than you have. I don't mean to this in a nasty way, it just surprised me; placing perfectly bomber gear, and then backing it up with more perfectly bomber gear. I think you need to have more faith in what you place, as you do know what you are doing with the stuff.

As before I was at a very bad time mentally. But I still do place too much protection probably....I dunno I just have a real phobia of smashing my body into seperate pieces on the ground if something goes wrong  :shrug:

I do have a maxim to make sure there are always two bomber bits of gear between me and the ground or me and a bad fall. I'm not changing that, I'd rather be posting moaning topics about faff  than moaning topics about broken limbs.

But that aside I am constantly aware of my tendency to over-protect things, and trying to work on it.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#34 Re: The tyranny of gear and faff.
August 27, 2007, 03:09:22 pm
I've always relied on what my old man told me which was to 'place gear when you can, not when you need it', which sems to work i.e. don't by-pass good gear because the climbing is easy, because you can guarantee that three irreversible moves later you'll be trying to set up some rp's in opposition from a rounded undercut with feet on smears. On some easier/well protected routes it can slow you down a lot but as a general rule it seems to work.

I did that on an easier route in the Lakes recently, quite a nice little E1 up a steep crack / chimney. I ended up placing 5 bits of gear in the top 6m, simply because they were there. Wasn't too much faffing though ;)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#35 Re: The tyranny of gear and faff.
August 27, 2007, 03:14:09 pm
good post. how much have you actually climbed routes / venues where you can fall at leisure? in other words something with good gear, where you arent ever depending on an individual piece and there are no ledges / slabby bits to smash into? if youre getting annoyed with yourself because youre backing up less than bomber gear / legitimately concerned about hitting something on the way down / worried about the one good bit of gear you have failing then i dont think these are situations to be annoyed about and you should continue to be prudent. if however you are somewhere like Sharpnose and youve got good gear and a clean fall and youre still nervous / backing up good gear then there is a "problem". the answer is probably to climb venues / routes like this and know / believe that the gear is good and you can fall then take the falls or cruise to glory. basically i think you cant be too hard on yourself until youve given yourself a fair chance i.e. you shouldnt expect to be relaxed above poor gear or when youre looking at leg breaking / worse falls.

Yeah good to draw that distinction. I'm fairly good at judging when a situation is going to be properly dangerous or not. I'm also fairly good at judging when it's going to be properly safe i.e. easy to place bomber gear. I'm less good in the middle area when it might be a bit bold or the fall might be a bit odd or the gear might be hard to place or might not be perfect and then the faff tends to creep in, especially in the latter two scenarios.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#36 Re: The tyranny of gear and faff.
August 27, 2007, 03:23:07 pm
Stuff.

Not much to reply too specifically but interesting reading as always.

I'm not really after a Planetfear gay pr0n photography over-caffeinated sugary drink company sponsored I claimed 3 grades harder blowing chalk off my fingers style. I climb on cloudy days too and like dirty quarries and don't have anything that approaches style, I'm tempted to melt Onyx onto my knees.

Just working out that this (gear) is the crux of the issue, and the crux isn't the crux of the issue as it were.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#37 Re: The tyranny of gear and faff.
August 27, 2007, 03:25:02 pm
One thing that you might try; evaluate each placement with marks  x/5, and then try and keep at least a 5 (in total) between you and a fall that wouldn't want to take; ie a "long" one or "dangerous" one (based on your perception of either).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal