UKBouldering.com

Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then? (Read 41654 times)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#125 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
November 15, 2008, 02:56:03 pm
Postage looks as if it will work out around £15 including insurance.

We can't do on line ordering but the Works are letting us use their card machine so we will be able to do telephone orders. Best to email me with your mobile number then I can ring you when I am in the Works to sort out payment aldersongraeme@hotmail.com

Cheques should be made out to GA Climbing Consultant and sent to me c/o The Climbing Works, Unit B Centenary Business Park, Little London Rd, Sheffield S8 0UJ.

If anyone wants to pay by EFT email me and I will send my bank details.

Remember Ronins don't fit through standard sized letter boxes so a work address would be best unless you want to be nipping down your local PO sorting office to pick up your pad.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#126 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
November 15, 2008, 02:57:49 pm
OK so the foam lasts for 3 times as long but will the cover keep up?

It's not foam!! It's air so it doesn't break down like foam does.

Paul B

• forum hero
#127 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
November 15, 2008, 03:30:25 pm
Are you SURE the F.A.T. cells don't contain open cell foam? I thought thats how they work as the foam provides the force to re-inflate the cells once deployed?
Fatdoc had an analogy with MTB forks but seeing as though I was there to get mine fixed it flew over my head a bit.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#128 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
November 15, 2008, 07:48:53 pm
the open cell foam in a FAT cell bears little of the force of taking the fall of the climber as far as I can see / tell. it does seem to provide structure to allow for the FAT cell to reinflate..

I & my middle aged climbin mates are between 2 and 3 stone heavier than any wad and I'm happy to say the pad is standing up fine to what is in effect a righteous pounding!

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#129 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
November 16, 2008, 04:50:05 pm
Website (well blog really) with info and some piccies (soon) http://roninuk.blogspot.com/

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#130 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
November 16, 2008, 07:03:56 pm
I & my middle aged climbin mates are between 2 and 3 stone heavier than any wad and I'm happy to say the pad is standing up fine to what is in effect a righteous pounding!
Are you sure thats all FD?
 :-*

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#131 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
November 17, 2008, 12:09:17 pm
The pads are here. Come and get 'em  :o

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#132 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
November 17, 2008, 01:30:53 pm
on my way :dance1: :dance1: :dance1:

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#133 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
November 23, 2008, 12:02:51 am
I used my Ronin for the first time today and it is sweet. Graeme has imported the mark 2 version with improved carrying straps, which are very good, and reinforced cover which seems very durable. It is larger than i thought it would be, it isnt that much smaller than my moon saturn pad.
I fell of the top of 'The Rumour' a few times today, it was like falling onto a bag of kittens. If you have the cash and dodgy knees go get one.
Cheers Graeme, my knees love you :great:

Duma

• forum hero
#134 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
November 23, 2008, 04:00:37 pm
like falling onto a bag of kittens

Now I have neither the cash or the knees, but the above description really makes me want one! Ronin - get this on your advertising copy sharpish!

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#135 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
November 25, 2008, 06:36:38 pm
I picked up mine yesterday and will be going out with it tomorrow (weather permitting). I'll let folk know what I think then.

Dolly

• forum hero
#136 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
November 25, 2008, 07:10:11 pm
Ronin - get this on your advertising copy sharpish!
Done :)

http://roninuk.blogspot.com/

jordysi

• player
#137 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
November 26, 2008, 09:32:13 am
hey fatdoc the photo's are all on photobucket..... in the same place as the photos of my bike, give me a call when you get time and i will give you my login details and password and you can get them off...

Cheers Jordy

fatkid2000

• junky
#138 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
November 26, 2008, 06:46:38 pm
I've not used mine in anger yet - but I have set it up and jumped down a flight of stairs on do it - its the business. MY wife even had a go. A very clever piece of kit.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#139 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
January 14, 2009, 01:29:10 pm
Anyone else invested in one of these Ronin airpads? Anyone else got a review from either owning one or using someone's at a crag?

Having witnessed one dislocated and broken ankle and one badly sprained ankle recently as well as hearing about two other similar cases I'm wondering if it could be money well spent.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#140 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
January 14, 2009, 03:52:31 pm
i witnessed one and had a bit of a jump around on one at quantum field, NZ last year. In all fairness this is probably a bit of a biased review as the owner said it was knackered (all the cells had gone flat and weren't reinflating).

it belonged to some aussie crusty who informed me that luckily he knew the distributor and would be getting a replacement sharpish. the cover looked well tatty as well, although I imagine that if it had seen enough abuse to do in the cells then the cover wouldn't put up much resistance.

I'm assuming that given it's age this was a Mk I and therefore this is not a review of the ones currently for sale.

it was damn heavy as well though.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#141 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
January 15, 2009, 10:32:54 am
It seems well made and well thought out and given me a bit more confidence. Its heavier than the Moon pad I have but certainly absorbs impact better. I guess if it encourages you to try harder, higher then in general the proportion of ankle and similar injuries will be similar. My biggest fall this year I missed all the mats landed on a boulder and rolled down a slope unharmed.

It is money well spent if you want to highball, have bad ankles, have the funds, like new kit and are generally concerned about getting injured which is usually costly one or another.   

Bouldering helmets next ? Think boxing ones would be good - endorsed by Rich Simpson perhaps.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#142 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
January 15, 2009, 12:12:43 pm
Bouldering helmets next ? Think boxing ones would be good - endorsed by Rich Simpson perhaps.]

You jest. Seen those shock absorbing beanies they sell down the works? 

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#143 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
October 13, 2009, 09:17:53 pm
So over the last couple of days I have bought (at the new discounted price of £250), assembled and tested my new Ronin pad.

Buying was the hard bit overcoming my natural Yorkshire reluctance to spend money.  Fortunately when I picked it up Dolly 'accidently' left some bottles of beer in my car which helped a little.

Assembly was easy if you follow the instructions.  As a bloke I obviously didn't even download the flashed instructions until after I'd built the thing so it took a bit of trial and error to get to the same procedure that they use.  This did save me from having to watch Strictly ... though.

Using it is the best bit because it means you are out bouldering.  I managed to carry it to the crag, sorry boulders, and jump off on it lots due to my lack of strength.  I then walked back to the car and drove home, apparently with my legs no less bandy than when I started out and with no broken ankles

Is it worth £250?  I reckon my ankles and knees are worth ten times that each.  That makes a saving of £9,750 every time I jump off onto it.  A bargain really ... 

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#144 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
October 14, 2009, 11:23:02 am
  This did save me from having to watch Strictly

Do they work for X Factor too?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#145 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
October 29, 2009, 07:17:47 pm
Just a bit of a heads up guys.

With the increase in bouldering over routes at this time of year there have been quite a few ronin sales recently...

From getting slayed by the exchange rate during the global financial disaster we at ronin UK will need further sales before ordering another batch. Essentially we need to sell a higher fraction of the initial consignment to break even...

This could lead to a time lag for the next import.

If you are considering a Ronin I suggest you buy sooner rather than later.. As availablility could be limited for a little while.

Cheers.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#146 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
October 30, 2009, 11:08:43 am
 :lol:

Tough times at RoninUK towers.....

Global financial disaster..... Time lag......... Higher fraction.......... Initial consignment...... Limited availability........

KH

• addict
#147 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
October 30, 2009, 11:49:48 am
How can I order one?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#148 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
October 30, 2009, 11:52:19 am
How can I order one?

Here let me  :google: that for you

Top hit is fatdoc's I believe, Climbing Works stock them too.

KH

• addict
#149 Re: Ronin AIR pads, who wants one then?
October 30, 2009, 02:07:19 pm
Slack,

Some people do search before posting you know!  No purchase availability on blog or climbing works site.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal