Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Broadband
March 20, 2007, 10:08:40 am
Sorting out broadband for my parents and the inlaws.
They both want a broadband and phone package deal and are thinking about talktalk. I've heard some bad things about talktalk and am looking else where. What recomendations do people have please

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Broadband
March 20, 2007, 10:14:24 am
I've hear talktalk are pish.

We have Eclipse and it seems to be OK.

I have a geeky mate who showed me a website where they review and rate them all, and he said eclipse were the best one to go for (at the time, about 12 months ago).

Will see if i can find the site again.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#2 Re: Broadband
March 20, 2007, 01:15:56 pm
Moving from PlusNet to TalkTalk was a BAD mistake. I'm now happily back with PlusNet who are highly recommended. Like most things you pay for what you get. TalkTalk was a unreliable and slow connection. Shame because I had high hopes for it.

The comparision site changed its name recently, it was called ADSLguide.org, now called www.thinkbroadband.com

Compare at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html They also have a good speed tester.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 Re: Broadband
March 20, 2007, 09:36:32 pm
Obi, are you using plusnet for your phone and broadband?
Is the line rental included? which package are you using? tell me everything...

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#4 Re: Broadband
March 20, 2007, 10:00:23 pm
Alrite Jim.

I ummed and ahhed for a bit and ended up going with BT. I went for option 3 for t'internet and got a free upgrade to option 2 for calls. Free evening and weekend calls, and upto 8mb broadband. Got a free wireless hub and a smart phone, all in all i'm chuffed to bits. Costs me about 34 squid a month all in.

Hope this helps mate.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#5 Re: Broadband
March 20, 2007, 10:24:33 pm
Obi, are you using plusnet for your phone and broadband?
Is the line rental included? which package are you using? tell me everything...
I haven't gone for their phone deal yet, but may in the future. I just opted for basic broadband from them and phone from BT after getting my fingers burnt with TalkTalk. I think there is a good rule of (burnt?) thumb that says Broadband companies are good at Broadband, and phone companies are good at phone lines. When it came to moving home and I needed to reactivate an existing line and keep my number, a pretty common request you would think, TalkTalk had NO clue. Lesson learnt. This whole LLU (local loop unbundling) thing should have some major warning attached, all these companies want a piece of BT's action but when it comes to fixing/fitting lines they don't want to know. BT might not be the cheapest but at least they know what they are doing when you need service beyond making a phone call and paying your bill. It's tempting to save a few quid but be warned if you have any problems you are no longer a BT customer.  :(

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#6 Re: Broadband
March 20, 2007, 10:31:09 pm
BT might not be the cheapest but at least they know what they are doing when you need service beyond making a phone call and paying your bill. It's tempting to save a few quid but be warned if you have any problems you are no longer a BT customer. 

Amen to that. I figured the same thing and so far so good. I signed up to 365 days a year 24hr helpline jobby which I have used on several occaisons with good honest service had every time. I reckon it is worth paying a little more for piece of mind, even more so if its for people who may not be to handy with all this new fangled technology (I know my inlaws are about as sharp as an apple when it comes to computers and 'the information super highway' as one put it)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Broadband
March 21, 2007, 10:02:46 am

I ummed and ahhed for a bit and ended up going with BT. I went for option 3 for t'internet and got a free upgrade to option 2 for calls. Free evening and weekend calls, and upto 8mb broadband. Got a free wireless hub and a smart phone, all in all i'm chuffed to bits. Costs me about 34 squid a month all in.

Just be wary about signing up for long term deals with BT Internet. They are fine if you plan on staying put for the duration, but if you move house they really sting you for reconnection fees. We got stung when we moved flat, and then they tried to sting us again when we moved 6 months later, so we switched.

We now have BT Supplied Modem lying about if anyone needs it.

bigphil

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Broadband
March 21, 2007, 01:32:29 pm
I have the Plusnet phone and broadband deal.  8Mb line speeds, up to 1000mins of talk time (there are some exclusions but I can't remember all the details) and line renatl included all for about £36 or £38.  So far its been problem free though I've only had it for the last 2 months.  Definately worth considering.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal