UKBouldering.com

Buying a van in California (Read 1502 times)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Buying a van in California
August 29, 2006, 11:08:42 am
I am going to be in the states for 2/3 months and was think of buying a van, thus saving on hire car and camping expenses.

Heard differing reports on if i can or can not do it with a UK driving licsense. I do have an american address i can use though.

Any thoughts guys?

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#1 Re: Buying a van in California
August 29, 2006, 11:15:20 am
i don't know the answer, but these people seem to have managed to do it:

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-11050.html

hope this helps, and enjoy your trip :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Buying a van in California
August 29, 2006, 11:36:15 am
Beware, varies form state to state, but I bought one in Colorado, with a UK license and a US address. Got screwed with insurance, but still works out cheaper than renting and less hassle than public transport. California has emission tests you need van to pass before you can get a license, so watch out.

PS a lot of people carriers have seats that fold down to form a comfortable bed. I found this out as a bonus after I bought a Ford Aerostar, which was super reliable apart from a really rough road (my fault) making the seal on the transmission fall out. Easily repaired though.

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#3 Re: Buying a van in California
August 29, 2006, 12:12:37 pm
Buying a van is by far the best thing to do.. I was out there for a couple of months earlier this year (bishop, yosemite and castle rock) and managed to hitch around and had a top time, but having my own transport would have made life a lot easier.

If I was going to buy something I wouldn't buy it in Cali though, really strict emissions tests, sales tax on everything and its an expensive state full stop. Though I guess it depends on where you're gonna start your trip - it might be cheaper in the long run to buy something as soon as you get there  - I guess you'd need to weigh that up.. Getting Insurance should be ok if you've got a valid address over there.. just could be expensive.. if you're thinking of hiring a car do it at a major city.. prices rocket in small towns

as for public transport... it doesnt exist in some areas.. and is generally hard work..  I caught a greyhound from san fran to reno then another bus from reno to bishop...  greyhound well scary.. basically everyone has a car... for instance bishop itself has no public transport.. not even a taxi firm...

Camping expenses generally aren't really a problem.. most of the climbers out there tend to congregate in the cheapest or free areas.. the pit (in bishop) was $2 a night and camping at the buttermilks is free, theres plenty of free camping in utah apparently.. yosemite was $15 and santa cruz a nightmare $25.. petrol is cheap as..
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 12:21:23 pm by nathan wind »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal