UKBouldering.com

Cafe action (Read 6984 times)

saltbeef

• forum hero
Cafe action
March 06, 2006, 10:07:40 pm
not sure what page this should be on, but as i reckon a cafe pitstop is integral to a days cragging i put it on here.
anyway, where are the secret gems of the peak? (or anywhere else for that matter.)
my two penneth, stoney cafe is great, however seems to stop serving food, or stay open after you finish climbing
longlands takes ages, and its always desperate to find a seat
grindleford cafe ok if you want a chip butty, but i'm not psyched really.
that other new place in hathersage has good ingredients, but they can't make a decent coffee despite the lavazza, my advice get an espresso.
any thoughts, any one?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Cafe action
March 06, 2006, 11:05:32 pm
If by "the other place" you mean the posh deli next to Nevissport(?) then I did rate their sandwiches.

God knows, I don't eat much when out climbing. I quite like Grindleford for emergency rained-off giant yorkshire pudding with chips and gravy though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 08:04:36 am
Otley (aka Riverside) Caff was always a favourite for me. Spit and Sawdust, no pretensions. Patronised by Council Workers, Cyclists, Bikers Climbers and the Elderly. And some occupying more than one of the above categories. Big Portions, Pints of tea, resonable prices. Don't know it's still like that.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 08:10:08 am
Grindleford cafe is a fucking rip-off with surly staff and shite service. Fuck that.

What's Stoney like now then? I thought it had been changed into a bistro or something.

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#4 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 09:13:27 am
its got to be elton cafe, the best reason for visiting the cratcliffe vortex
- also like the sweet shop on the green in baslow, they mash brews and sell fine locally made pork pies (and the old lady who owns it is just like my mum)
on the stoney tip, has anyone checked out the 'after 4 pm' tapas bar - close your eyes and you could be on the ramblas  :)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#5 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 09:30:43 am
OMG, tapas!

P.S. Bubba, that's exactly what you're paying for, Fawlty Towers and all that...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#6 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 09:59:34 am
Ramblers Retreat in Dimmings Dale/Churnet.
In 'Bers you can't beat Pete's, cheese and chips and a pint of coffee, nice.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 10:11:18 am
Quote from: "Fiend"
P.S. Bubba, that's exactly what you're paying for, Fawlty Towers and all that...

You a masochist or something? I've been in there once where 3 of us stood at the counter waiting to be served while the staff chatted in the kitchen. They knew we were but they just carried on for ages. We went elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind that sort of service if the prices were reasonable.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#8 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 10:31:15 am
Caldwell Mill in Rowsley is a good stopoff on the way to Cratcliff. Really nice bread (it's a flour mill after all) and sarnies come with really good salads (if you like that sort of thing).

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#9 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 11:24:34 am
Is my memory fading, but do I remember that before the CCC shop in Hathersage there was a "Happy Shopper" type place with an old lady who made massive rolls? Remember they were pretty serious.

Derby's got some good 'uns if you're passing through:

Osmaston Chip Shop off Ashbourne Rd (huge portions, dirt cheap)
The Silk Mill Pub (as above but with loads of good guest ales on)
Big Blue Coffee on Sadlergate (if you prefer a frappamocchochino / pancetta panini to a pint of tea / bacon sarnie)

saltbeef

• forum hero
#10 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 11:28:42 am
i agree bubs. gford cafe, miserable and not really vey good. as for stoney, i went last winter quite alot, and it was excellent, since the tapas bar bit opened the cafe seems to have been ignored a bit, i mean we went there at 3 on sunday and they'd stopped serving food and the coffee is a bit average. if you go in the evening at the weekend, i think you need to book the food is excellent and quite a nice ambience too (god i sound like a girl) . quite expensive mind.

Palomides

• forum abuser
#11 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 11:36:26 am
Quote from: "tommytwotone"

I read that as Orgasmatron!!

:oops:

Anyway, not really in the Peak, but the butcher just round the corner from Nonnas on Ecceshall road used to do really good bacon butties to take away (as well as having really good quality meat and a proper bigroundredfaced butcher demeanour)

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#12 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 11:36:39 am
how about the bakery in hathersage (opposite spar)
you get a whole cow in one of their 'special' pasties, or a EU butter mountain in a flapjack - total farming food, ideal before a campus session

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 11:47:45 am
One of those pasties is a sure way to end your days climbing :)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#14 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 12:09:39 pm
For sarnies to take out to the crag or a pre-crag coffee you can't beat Brugazzi's on Abbeydale Rd.

If you are ever out near Black Rocks midweek, the little hexagonal wooden cafe on the A6 junction in Cromford is an absolute must. Run by a couple of old dears, no frills but cheap and a really nice feel to it.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#15 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 12:15:39 pm
Quote from: "Palomides"
Quote from: "tommytwotone"

I read that as Orgasmatron!!

:oops:

Not that far from the truth...you want a chip butty that's bigger than your head? Get in there!

nik at work

• forum hero
#16 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 12:25:34 pm
Yeah the buttie place that used to be where CCC is was great - huge sangers and nice vanilla slices (the climbing cake, no debate). It also ran a two-tier pricing system, one price for mid-week shoppers and people they knew and a more commercial price for weekend warriors.

The Bridge in Todmorden was awesome, great food, interesting regulars friendly staff and cheap. Sadly it closed a few weeks back. I doubt there will be many mourners on this site but as a daily refuge for the past couple of years its passing saddens me greatly.

Sypeland

• stalker
    • http://www.climbersbalm.com
#17 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 12:25:36 pm
When int dale, The Sandwich Shop on the Back High St. in Pateley is the dogs mutz, I had a Bacon, egg and black pudding sani this morning!

They do all your fancy paninis and pitas as well!!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#18 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 01:58:29 pm
Quote from: "Bonjoy"
For sarnies to take out to the crag or a pre-crag coffee you can't beat Brugazzi's on Abbeydale Rd.

A class establishment indeed!

webbo

• forum hero
#19 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 03:17:42 pm
these days on trips to the peak i call in at my mates big bobs for a cup of earl grey or lapssanshosang[that stuff that tastes like its had a burnt stick stuck in it]he does a mean cheese butty to fortify me for the trip home as well.

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#20 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 03:36:06 pm
cafe no.9, for post climb de-brief/very loud pink floyd ?

saltbeef

• forum hero
#21 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 06:29:04 pm
cafe ceres on sharrowvale rd for post board banana crepes.... the fuckin shizza bar none. al this cafe topic seems very close to your heart!

dave

#22 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 06:31:43 pm
i never stop at a cafe on a days climbing. the only cafe i ever go to is pete's eats, but may think twice in future since the breakfasts seems to be pretty shit for the money right now. better breakfast to be had at leccy mountain.

andy_e

• forum hero
#23 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 06:39:24 pm
Little Italy or Smithills Coach House is where I go for my post-Brownstones sesh... free food!

curly ben

• addict
#24 Cafe action
March 07, 2006, 06:40:59 pm
churnet all the way baby... not cheap but wicked cakes.. nice way to finish day bouldering as well

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal