UKBouldering.com

V8+ - A whole new issue... (Read 14144 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#75 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 16, 2005, 03:42:15 pm
The only reason no-one says anything in your social circle is because they've gotten used to the vastness of the E6 grade and/or because they daren't rock the macho boat

I can honestly say this is the first time I have ever heard anyone even consider such a thing. Clearly my social circle has gotten so used to the vastness of the grade that they never even noticed it. Care to share some of the vast list that illustrates the point?

And as dense pointed out, we've currently got a post-modern anti-macho thing going down in the peak. Except cofe, who has already moved on to the post-post-modern with an 'ironic-macho' eighties fro and chestwig.

cofe

• forum hero
#76 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 16, 2005, 03:45:47 pm
6 pages....

and i've been referred to as 'ironic-macho'. i feel like i have finally self-actualised.

Mr.Burns

• stalker
#77 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 16, 2005, 03:59:06 pm
i feel like i have finally self-actualised.

And people say discussions about grades are a waste of time!!!

cofe

• forum hero
#78 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 16, 2005, 04:06:13 pm
Quote from: "Mr.Burns"

people do say discussions about grades are a waste of time. Not sure where Rogers stood on this though.

Paz

• junky
#79 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 16, 2005, 04:40:02 pm
Quote from: "Johnny Brown"
Care to share some of the vast list that illustrates the point?

I tried to make this point two years ago in a pro sport grade argument.  Now I think the range is even wider.  not really including sport routes, maybe I'm stretching the point inculding mixed ethic routes, but you get E6s with a wide range of climbing on them.  Ranging from misgraded ones with F5+ climbing, right up to rarely repeated never onsighted ones with 7c+ climbing.  I know what type I've done one of.  

People seem to think there's nothing wrong with British trad grades because you can grade accurately OK with them.  I would contend that you can indeed easily grade accurately with them precisely because there's such an enormous error margin.  

I just wanted to run it out on hard but doable moves on gear, and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask how hard the climbing is before you onsight something close to your red point limit.  Everyone enjoyed disagreed whole heartedly with me for daring to suggest our fine system that confuses foreigners is less than wonderful.  But I think the point is that you should just fucking get on routes (or boulder problems) and see.  The really bold routes are reasonably obvious.  And personally if I can't trust my trad skills when they're as good as everyone else and better by far than most people I've climbed with (speed's the issue though) then my desired knarly onsight is never going to happen anyway.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#80 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 16, 2005, 05:10:38 pm
we've currently got a post-modern anti-macho thing going down in the peak

yep, i even kept my socks on in my climbing shoes last wk. however this was nothing compared to some of the flair being rocked in magic wood by jim n cowboyhat the other wk

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#81 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 16, 2005, 05:15:27 pm
"I can honestly say this is the first time I have ever heard anyone even consider such a thing. Clearly my social circle has gotten so used to the vastness of the grade that they never even noticed it. Care to share some of the vast list that illustrates the point?"

I knew my 'get me a list of your E7 onsights' would ruffle yer feathers.

So what happens now - I go off and compile a list of all the extreme ends of the E6 spectrum that I can find, along with some written testimonies from respected wads who agree with my point of view.

You then cleverly parry with a similar list, but this time for E5s or E7s, weakening the uniqueness of the E6 position.

We then carry on bickering in increasingly entrenched positions, until one of us remembers that it's not raining and the crags are dry outside...

AndyR

• forum hero
#82 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 16, 2005, 07:01:14 pm
Quote from: "Pantontino"

You then cleverly parry with a similar list, but this time for E5s or E7s, weakening the uniqueness of the E6 position.

We then carry on bickering in increasingly entrenched positions, until one of us remembers that it's not raining and the crags are dry outside...

That all sounds like a carefully managed retreat......

a dense loner

• forum hero
#83 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 16, 2005, 07:12:35 pm
that and we're actually talking about bouldering. who hijacked this with dirty routes? E's this and E's that. not in my fish

guidebook writer: hi greg, you ok not spoke for a bit. i'm currently doing a new guidebook for the area however i don't want to include the V8+. do you think that (insert prob name here) is a hard V8 or easy V9

greg: hi guidebook writer, yeh been doin loads recently, not seen anyone for ages. wanted to do all the lines on this 4 foot boulder before i told anyone about it, it's a 2 day walk-in but well worth it. but yeh i felt that (insert prob name here) is a pretty hard V8, certainly not V9. oh while we're at it i've done all the V8+s, may as well give you a round up of them now we're here. i know nigella's done most of them. give her a quick bell n see what she thinks, here's her number

guidebook writer: cheers greg

webbo

• forum hero
#84 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 17, 2005, 06:37:10 pm
Quote from: "cofe"
Quote from: "Mr.Burns"

people do say discussions about grades are a waste of time. Not sure where Rogers stood on this though.

buck or carl.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#85 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 17, 2005, 07:25:11 pm
Quote from: "a dense loner"

greg: hi guidebook writer, yeh been doin loads recently, not seen anyone for ages. wanted to do all the lines on this 4 foot boulder before i told anyone about it, it's a 2 day walk-in but well worth it. but yeh i felt that (insert prob name here) is a pretty hard V8, certainly not V9. oh while we're at it i've done all the V8+s, may as well give you a round up of them now we're here. i know nigella's done most of them. give her a quick bell n see what she thinks, here's her number

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

tc

• junky
#86 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 17, 2005, 09:19:05 pm
Fuck me -- you go away to NW Scotland for a week and all hell breaks loose. Outstanding stuff, lads. Has it been raining?

Greg C

• forum hero
#87 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 18, 2005, 12:02:16 pm
I see you ventured out of StS. Did you run out of movies/books/albums to review?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#88 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 18, 2005, 10:18:44 pm
edited 2 times in total? must have been scathing greg :lol:

webbo

• forum hero
#89 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 19, 2005, 10:10:29 am
i did my first v9 yesterday.it was one of sensei si's done back in the day when he still lived in gods own country.
did he grade it v9 cos it was v9 or was it just harder than the other v8s he done and as yet he had'nt invented v8+ so he gave it v9.

or was it 7b+.

Stubbs

#90 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 19, 2005, 10:17:45 am
Congratulations!

What was it?

webbo

• forum hero
#91 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 19, 2005, 10:25:04 am
i'm not saying as every one will declare its really only v5.

7 pages and still going.

Stubbs

#92 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 19, 2005, 10:30:34 am
Give us a clue - what crag - the glen perhaps?

webbo

• forum hero
#93 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 19, 2005, 10:38:26 am
cleckhuddersfax.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#94 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 19, 2005, 10:52:37 am
It'll be Almscliff or Woodhouse.

Angel Face is only Font 7b+ now, because some cheating bastard (Pete Robins If I remember rightly) dug out some new footholds. My original method was pretty hard, probably 7cish.

The Sheriff is only 7b (it's at least 2 grades easier than N Wales V9s that I've done, such as Rock Atrocity). I must have had flu when I did it.

Grape Strain is pretty hard - so maybe that is Font 7b+, but I doubt it is Font 7c.

Top Cat Traverse is described incorrectly in the guide - I (and everybody else who repeated it at the time) kept traversing low past a very polished sloper to gain a crack on the left. I've no idea if this is 7c or 7b+ (or even 7a+!) - I haven't been near it for over 10 years.

Let's face it there is a load of gross over grading in the YGB book. The Keel at V10/7c+!!! Surely 7b/+?

Anyway, Webbo - which one was it?

cofe

• forum hero
#95 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 19, 2005, 11:02:46 am
Quote from: "webbo"
7 pages and still going.

my target hath been reached. but why stop there...8+ pages to be?

webbo

• forum hero
#96 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 19, 2005, 11:44:26 am
Quote from: "Pantontino"
It'll be Almscliff or Woodhouse.

Angel Face is only Font 7b+ now, because some cheating bastard (Pete Robins If I remember rightly) dug out some new footholds. My original method was pretty hard, probably 7cish.

The Sheriff is only 7b (it's at least 2 grades easier than N Wales V9s that I've done, such as Rock Atrocity). I must have had flu when I did it.

Grape Strain is pretty hard - so maybe that is Font 7b+, but I doubt it is Font 7c.

Top Cat Traverse is described incorrectly in the guide - I (and everybody else who repeated it at the time) kept traversing low past a very polished sloper to gain a crack on the left. I've no idea if this is 7c or 7b+ (or even 7a+!) - I haven't been near it for over 10 years.

Let's face it there is a load of gross over grading in the YGB book. The Keel at V10/7c+!!! Surely 7b/+?

Anyway, Webbo - which one was it?

it was one of those.

james

• obsessive maniac
#97 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 20, 2005, 06:40:57 pm
it has to be the sheriff :lol:  tho it's a really good prob

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#98 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 20, 2005, 09:05:29 pm
word to that, the sherrif, v9 or font 7a+. quite tricky to work out how to do it but after that its a path. still haven't done the direct on it mind....

webbo

• forum hero
#99 V8+ - A whole new issue...
September 21, 2005, 08:32:56 am
it looks like i'll have done my first 5+ by the way its going. :cry:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal