UKBouldering.com

Climbing for real Men (and women I guess) (Read 6036 times)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
Climbing for real Men (and women I guess)
April 15, 2005, 02:43:37 pm
Check this;

http://climbing.com/news/campuscomp/

that's what I'm talking about.  When can we have one of these comps at the edge or the foundry.  instead of fag problems with kneebars, egyptians, and other types of faggotry we could have a comp that actually favoured strong climbers.  Wouldn't that be interesting?!?!

Paz

• junky
Yeah that will really pull the spectators in.  It looks cool (for five minutes) though, especially the route - can you figure 4 or is that just whack?

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I totally agree, footless comps would be awesome.

No you can't figure of four Paz. That's cheating.

Or crimp. If you're footlessing or campussing, that's another unwritten rule. No crimping.

Paz

• junky
I meant on the route - how the .. do you clip?

squeek

• junky
Who'd be the best?  I reckon Cassidy from my limited experience, he doesn't seem to enjoy using his feet.  :)

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
No figure of fours anywhere should be the rule - just lock off/hang to clip.

My money'd be on Rich Simpson

Paz

• junky
Alright alright, since I can't use any technique I'll just have to not enter.  It might be an event at which disabled people (paraplegics?) could outperform able bodied people - thems with no legs anyroad, and they'd still  have to be the bomb at campussing.  I've heard urban myths of a (french?) climber with no legs.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
well, i might retract my statement about it being for women too, because I don't think there are women capable of entering a comp like this.  So this is truly a comp for "real men".  

Unfortunately it's unlikely ever to happen in this country, but i'm psyched to maybe visit (spectator only) the next one that happens, so if anyone hears mumblings then let me know!  There aren't many walls that have a constant steep gradient to facilitate an event like this.... although the rest of them could be feasible.  It would be really funny I reckon to see who could one pull (one arm obviously) with some hideous weight attached.  

enough ranting, back to the board.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Quote from: "unclesomebody"
enough ranting, back to the board.

thats what I'm talkin about

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Found the video:

No foot video

Shame there wasn't more of the no feet onsight lead, but there you go, a few clips of people having hernias...

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Hmm that video was none too exciting. I was expecting lots of shots of Alex Chabot calmly pulling 1-5-9 with a citroen deux cheval hanging from a weight belt.

None of the contestants looked that strong either. We should send a contingent to No Foot 7 and wipe the floor (or at least come 2nd to Chabot). Lets set one up in this country. No Foot UK. Grr.

dave

that video blows. would be much better to watch weak slappy climbers on the kind of thing, should ban locking off.

ANd what s the crack with crimping on the campus board?<coughs>bummer</coughs>

clm

• forum hero
has noone mentiond the higginson.

a dense loner

• forum hero
having watched the video, i'm not so sure this would be cool to do in the uk. since it was the shittest thing i've ever seen

a dense loner

• forum hero
maybe, it would be insipient like kylie.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
WOT A FUCKIN SHITE VIDEO!!!

Jesus, even I wasn't phsyced watching that piece of shit. They looked like a bunch of weak faggots, especially that guy doing a full lock and lower down. Still think a British version would be sweet though.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Quote from: "a dense loner"
having watched the video, i'm not so sure this would be cool to do in the uk. since it was the shittest thing i've ever seen

I can't believe I wasted precious bandwidth - it was w*nk...

They should have livened it up with like a live tank of pirhanas under the lock-bar..

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Yeah, it was terrible wasn't it. Thought I'd let you all watch it first before warning you.  :lol:

Shame really, as I got all excited when I found it - almost like when it's nearly time for Doctor Who. I kept thinking, ok these guys are the losers, we're about to see the real contenders showin some serious crankin. But then it finished. Goddamn Daleks. No, I'm getting mixed up again.

I reckon Hands Only cranking is to climbing what Monster Trucks are to Land Rovers - you know you wouldn't be able to park a Monster Truck, or even get it round most corners, but if someone gives you a vehicle for a hour, you just gotta go for the Monster Madness...

And despite the shitness of that video - I'm pretty sure it could be a damn entertaining event if it was done (and filmed) properly.

The Foundry Footless Freakshow in cooperation with Really Bearindown Productions?  :wink:  Go on, it can't be that hard to get together - you don't even need to use your feet...

:8)

ned

• menacing presence
has no one mentiond the higginson

or big malc

dave

what would be good is a one-hand deadhanging comp. competitors have to get off the ground for 5 seconds with a dumbell in the other hand. Comp takes same format as a longjump/highjump comp but going for the heaviest weight. possible. Recon it could be proper eyeball-popping groin-grabbingly good sport. Fly crimpmaster jared roth over straight out of salt lake.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
You heard about when Andy brown broke a tendon doing a one finger pull-up??

It recoiled so violently they had to retrieve it from above his elbow joint. guess you could put sick-bags in with the entry fee...

a dense loner

• forum hero
Fly crimpmaster jared roth over straight out of salt lake

why? am sure you could hang with heavier weights

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
Quote from: "Johnny Brown"
You heard about when Andy brown broke a tendon doing a one finger pull-up??

It recoiled so violently they had to retrieve it from above his elbow joint. guess you could put sick-bags in with the entry fee...

Honestly? Fuck me, that is extremely harsh.

Did it heal ok and did he climb on it again?

dave

whats that about westing doing one-hand deadhangs till blackout? that could be good sport, last man standing wins.

a dense loner

• forum hero
don't go exadurating there, they were lock offs, on a bar

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal