http://www.ebaumsworld.com/aicha.html

words aren't needed. (work safe)  :lol:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#1 handsome fella
October 14, 2004, 09:29:49 am
Getting filtered by the surfcontrol thing for me.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#2 handsome fella
October 14, 2004, 10:50:07 am
:lol:

poor fella

Buoux 8C

• menacing presence
#3 handsome fella
October 14, 2004, 12:30:11 pm
He should get himself onto that X factor show, or Pop idol or something, he is as good as any of the other people that enter.

The problem is they truly believe that they are really good, so when they are told their crap out comes the tears every time.

Buoux 8C

• menacing presence
#4 handsome fella
October 14, 2004, 12:31:18 pm
Uncle,

You waster, your in USA and instead of you going out climibng, your on the net looking at stuff like this, im beginning to wonder about you.

T Nagler

• player
#5 handsome fella
October 15, 2004, 09:25:31 pm
Ha, this girl at my school is on the x-factor (actually she was in my music class), and she's still in (final 5 of each category). Her name is cassy btw. I don't know wtf she's doing there, she's actually quite good and is now going to permanently fuck up her image and loose all credibility :roll:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 handsome fella
October 15, 2004, 10:11:19 pm
Ah, now she's reputed to be one of the best - I've got a lot of respect for the people who go in for these things (apart from those who are obviously self-deluded) because it's got to be hard singing your heart out for the likes of Simon Cowell and weathering the "more than frank" critiques.

Bizarrely, Cassie (Cassy?) looks amazingly like a woman who works where I work, to the point that I thought it was her!

It's a shame that these programs don't go beyond the first single though. I thought (don't laugh, I know many didn't) that Rosie Ribbon's from the original program was awesome, but what became of her?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#7 handsome fella
October 16, 2004, 11:34:01 am
I think waterman snapped her up. She put out a record and it bombed, but I suspect its not her vocal chords that entice you eh Bubs?

T Nagler

• player
#8 handsome fella
October 16, 2004, 10:27:02 pm
Hmm as you can see I don't have much respect for people who enter these things at all!  Being merely able to sing is not something I respect that much either, as its only one of many elements which contributes to good music.  They also over emphasise the importance of accuracy as a vocal skill. Pitch, and to a lesser extent tone can be manipulated digitally with ease (even I can do it with the right software).

People who enter these things come across as being not very interested in music, and being far too interested in fame.

Most people who know cassy (however its spelt), know that fame has been her (or her mothers) goal from an early age.

She's only 17 ffs, if she was interested in becoming well respected for her music, and not just becoming famous, she would have continued to gig etc and become noticed that way (which to her credit she did, but not for very long).

I used to have (moderate) respect for her (because of voice), this has now been is now significantly reduced.

I still want her to win though. Good luck cassy!

SK

#9 handsome fella
October 18, 2004, 03:35:58 pm
Wow. He sure knowshow to move. Dude.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 handsome fella
October 18, 2004, 05:06:14 pm
Quote from: "T Nagler"
People who enter these things come across as being not very interested in music, and being far too interested in fame.

In most cases they're young and full of enthusiasm and who can blame them for wanting to be like their idols?

But then some of them are just trying to make a career out of something that they love doing and I've been surprised by how much some of them are into the music.

I've also got some respect for Kym Marsh - she used pop idol to get into a hyped band, made her million and then left - ok, she was used as a Pete Waterman pay cheque for a while, but she's come out of it ok.

The funniest ones are the ones who are just delusional - it's like they've never recorded their own voice or asked their mates whether they can *really* sing. Anyone see that ugly skinny guy from Sheffield who reckoned he was the new Eminem? Fuck me, that was funny!

T Nagler

• player
#11 handsome fella
October 18, 2004, 07:32:41 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"
In most cases they're young and full of enthusiasm and who can blame them for wanting to be like their idols?

Yes but their idols are 'pop idols' (who aim to sell records- are after fame no matter what the cost) rather than 'musicians' (who aim to make/play good music- even if its at the expense of fame) that's one of the main issues for me.

I can honestly say (I write music) that I would rather have a few 'proper' fans that really get the music, than legions of fickle fans that are only fans due to some well-crafted promotion.

But then some of them are just trying to make a career out of something that they love doing and I've been surprised by how much some of them are into the music.

see above

I've also got some respect for Kym Marsh - she used pop idol to get into a hyped band, made her million and then left - ok, she was used as a Pete Waterman pay cheque for a while, but she's come out of it ok.

hmm, from a business point of view I respect that, but as a music fan I think that pretty terrible.  The thing is- when acts like this are being pushed forwards, good acts find it harder to gain recognition, therefore its harder for them to make a living, and I believe society in general is missing out.

The funniest ones are the ones who are just delusional - it's like they've never recorded their own voice or asked their mates whether they can *really* sing. Anyone see that ugly skinny guy from Sheffield who reckoned he was the new Eminem? Fuck me, that was funny!

word to that! When they told him how bad he is, he came out with something like "...I'm the one with 3 albums under my belt! what the **** have you done!" Sharon ozzborn: "...well I've sold millions as a producer, all your albums are at your house and nobody else's!" skinny, ugly guy from Sheffield gave a 'she's got a point look' before storming off swearing to himself! :lol:

T Nagler

• player
#12 handsome fella
October 18, 2004, 07:35:36 pm
hmm, made a real hah of that! I think it's decipherable!

That last post may read as being confrontational, but I dont mean to be at all.  Thats just how I view things.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 handsome fella
October 18, 2004, 07:40:53 pm
It's ok, I've edited your quotes so they make sense  :wink:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 handsome fella
October 18, 2004, 07:48:14 pm
Yes but their idols are 'pop idols' (who aim to sell records- are after fame no matter what the cost) rather than 'musicians' (who aim to make/play good music- even if its at the expense of fame) that's one of the main issues for me.

I'm sure lots of them want to be just like Britney, but didn't Cassy cite her idols as Katie Melua, Joss Stone and Jamie Callum? Ok, they're in vogue at the moment but they're certainly not Britney types.

The whole marketing of pop-idols does grate because the music seems to play second fiddle (ho ho!) to the image, but then anyone who's really into music soon sees beyond that and looks elsewhere. Somebody (can't remember who it was) recently hit the nail on the head by stating that the top 40 generally reflects the musical tastes of the nation's 14 year olds.

hmm, from a business point of view I respect that, but as a music fan I think that pretty terrible.

yeah, I meant from a business point of view and also because she was clued up enough to jump of the manufactured Hearsay ship shortly before it went under.

T Nagler

• player
#15 handsome fella
October 19, 2004, 10:38:48 pm
I'm sure lots of them want to be just like Britney, but didn't Cassy cite her idols as Katie Melua, Joss Stone and Jamie Callum? Ok, they're in vogue at the moment but they're certainly not Britney types.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, Cassy is by no means the worst of them, but she is very much after the fame.  She auditioned for the part of Harmoe (sp) in Harry potter, and came quite close to getting the part (she looks about 13 in real life!). So maybe she loves 'performing' more generally?

but then anyone who's really into music soon sees beyond that and looks elsewhere.

Good point. But it makes it harder to find these bands as inevitably there are less of them (if they cant get a record deal and therefore cant write/perform full time).

Somebody (can't remember who it was) recently hit the nail on the head by stating that the top 40 generally reflects the musical tastes of the nation's 14 year olds.

And there is a very good reason for that!  Most music is used to help people define themselves socially and culturally. Kids at around this age are usually rebelling against their parents and often use their choice of music as part of this.  Record companies often deliberately promote music that the parents of kids this age are likely to dislike, so that it can be used for rebellion.  That's why most people have a drastically different taste in music to their parents (at least while they are a teenager).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#16 handsome fella
October 20, 2004, 08:15:01 am
That irish bloke (cant remember name) said something on the lines of "I want to make it in the music business, but dont want to spend my time travelling around in a van, starving"

These programs seem are an easy route into the music "industry". No credit given to the bands who make a name based on reputation and hard work.

T Nagler

• player
#17 handsome fella
October 20, 2004, 11:11:57 pm
agreed

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal