UKBouldering.com

BMC AGM voting (Read 1777 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
BMC AGM voting
February 26, 2019, 11:54:21 am
Hopefully members should have received an email in their inbox or junk mail this morning or will do shortly on how to vote by proxy on the motions.

I have passed a few comments on the Changing the BMC thread but thought it would be good to start a new thread specifically for the AGM voting.

The relevant BMC article is here: www.thebmc.co.uk/bmc-agm-weekend-2019. Info will also come with the next edition of Summit.

The online systems is pretty straightforward but if anyone wants to nominate me to represent them at the meeting in person to act as proxy to use their vote I’m happy to do so.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 12:20:37 pm by shark »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1 Re: BMC AGM voting
March 14, 2019, 11:31:14 am
Pretty annoyed this morning to receive a further letter from the BMC via the Electoral Reform Services which is managing the online voting on the BMC's behalf.

The letter notifies us of 7 narrative errors in the accounts and the opportunity to re-vote on item 4 of the AGM agenda which is the "Presentation & adoption of the 2018 Annual Accounts & Auditors’ Report".

The items are considered by the Board to be significant enough to require changing the accounts hence the letter which allows us to change our vote on Item 4 not that I imagine anyone would change their vote based on the actual changes.

Electoral Reform Services is not free so there will be charge for this for the stationery, production of letters and envelope filling of 85,000 letters. In addition the second class postage at standard rate of 55p x 85000 = £46,750 say it was a third off for bulk buy (I'm guessing) that's still £31,000 before the ERS cost. What a needless waste of members money at a time when a £124k deficit is forecast for 2019.

A similar exercise took place last year to do with a screw up on the treatment of abstentions and there was an opportunity to re-vote based on that.   

I'd be interested to know whether the errors were highlighted internally or was flagged up externally by the usual external agitators who brought pressure to bear on the Board who were on the back foot.   

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2 Re: BMC AGM voting
March 15, 2019, 11:26:00 am
So I’ve just had it clarified by the BMC Office that they only needed to send out letters to those who had already voted using the codes on the previous letter (rather than responding to the email) so there was only a requirement to send 60 letters (along with 1,000 emails) so the cost was fortunately minimal.

Also, the errors were spotted internally.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal