P.S. Someone please post pictures of HB with a lapdog  :yes:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#101 Re: Best of 2015
January 12, 2016, 03:08:51 pm
Top three boulder probs, UK
Infinite Suspense 7C+, Tideswell Dale – Great solo evening hit on a cold crisp spring day.
Crackless Bottom 7B, High neb – Quick 2nd ascent of a good new thing (not written up on UKB yet) just up on crag near The Beast. On one of those few good days around Xmas after seemingly endless rain.
Icicle 7A, Roova – Quality remote grit, very similar to nearby Slipstones. Probably the best of a good bunch of problems done that day.

Top three boulder probs, abroad
Master of Puppets 7A+, Rocher D’Avon – Everyone loves a prow.
Satan M’Habite 7B+, Oiseau – Managed to get it done whilst it had loads of German pads under it. Another class prow.
Le Grand Requin Blanc 7B, Bois Rond Auberge – And another bon prow. One of a brilliant isolated pair in a newly developed sub-sector.

Top three trad routes/soloes UK
Crack of Gloom E2 5c, Roaches – Total struggle on a freezing gloomy day. Not the gentle re-intro to trad I had in mind.
Apaloosa Sunset E3 5c, Roaches – Cloud saucing.
Other than a bit of soloing that was about it for trad!

Top three sport routes UK
Titter Ye Not 8a, Two Tier – Not 8a with kneepads but a good boulder route nonetheless.
Laughing at the Rain 7c, Craig-y-Biceps – In the rain. Well decent, would be a good first 7c for anyone pushing that grade.
Kiss Me Arcy 7b, Long Wall – Forgot how good Long Wall is. Deserves more traffic.

Top three routes abroad (any genre)
Arafadam ten pitches up to 7b+, Ailefroide – Have never done bolted granite before. First route of more than two pitches in years.
100% Colleague 7a+, Ailefroide – Brilliant long single pitch route. Bit of everything, reminded me of Huntsman’s Leap
L’ Ceusien 7a, Ceuse – Random selection from a couple of days onsighting on the Grande Face. Must go back to for the multi-pitch stuff.

Top new route
Giant Haystacks 8b, Blackwell Dale – The only really hard thing I did all year. First new sport route (along with the 7c+ next door)I’ve put up in years. Very bouldery and took a lot of sessions just to do the move. I think it’s a great route and it should be great to see folk on it this year and find out if my desperate sequence is the only way.

Top three new problems
High Rider 7B+, Crich Tors – This is superb, go do it. Fairly big but the landing is perfect and the difficulty is over once you get the lip holds.
Elephant Hawk Moth 7A/E6, Crich Tors – Also mega and this time most definitely not over once you get the lip. These two would make a great highball team objective as a they’d both benefit from a few pads and some peer pressure. Great day out guaranteed.
Twisting in the Wind 7A+, Windy Knoll Cave – Proper high class esoterica. Be prepared for a ring of bovine observers above the hole.

Top Spankings
Candy Caned 7C, Squirrel Buttress – Just hard if you can’t reach off the good feet. Always annoyingly close but not quite there.
Black, Sack N Crack 7B+, Blackwell Dale – Stern.

rodma

• forum hero
#102 Re: Best of 2015
January 13, 2016, 01:16:04 pm
Late to the party as ever

Top 3 Abroad
Alta (always wanted to do this)
Extra Balle: Ditto
L'Ultime Secret (Isatis), proper pant pooing territory

Top 3 UK
The Boss @ Shaftoe
Monty Python SS: finally!!
Metronome @ Carrock Fell: pleased with my execution of this in general, the grade is less important, but it felt like i got the process right. ok so the grade is important.

Top spankings
woodwell, just woodwell. super shut down this year

haydn jones

• forum hero
#103 Re: Best of 2015
January 18, 2016, 11:53:43 pm
Top three boulder probs, UK

Thumbelina 7A - Ina's rock
A fantastic day out with Dom, and one of the best buzzes I've gotten from climbing. Should be on anyone who's interested in highballing todo list. Will be back for Cornelius this year.

Mint Sauce 7C - Blackwell dale
This problem is Mint! One of the best problems on the peak limestone. keep meaning to post the video, hopefully i'll get round to it soon enough.

Rob's wall 7C - Eskdale fisherground
So the climb was 3 stars but what really made this make it to my top 3 was the area, just the most beautiful idyllic setting, so peaceful and tranquil. Was also the first time climbing on granite since I started climbing, and reminded me of the crags that I cut my teeth on (Dartmoor).

Honorable mentions;
Joker, Throne of Zeus, Stone Temple Pilots, Pump up the Power, Feeding the pony, Spartacus, Brock the start, and oh so many more I can't keep listing them.

Top three boulder probs, abroad

All from Albarracin as that's the only place I've been this year (apart from 2 days in font where it rained on the drive up/down to/from Albarracin.

Zombie Nation 8A
Simply perfect, hardest thing I've ever done possibly (boulder wise that is)? really struggled on the last jump move and feel there a good few times before sealing the deal.

Pinturas Buldestres (sit) 7C+
If your going to Albarracin, this should be on your top 10 problems to do list, along with the previous and next problem! the last dyno is just phenomenal.

Aben razin 7C+
It says a lot about the boulder problem when its the front cover picture of the guide book, and rightly so. Its one of the most stunning and aesthetic boulders in the whole of the area, situated atop a peninsula, there is only one way up the giant, sized block. It will always remain in my memory, after spending 5 minuets pumping out on the final mantle, before building the courage to drag myself on top, only to realise, to my horror, I couldn't get back down.This was promptly followed by 30 minuets of walking round and round on top of the boulder looking for the best dismount.

honorable mentions;
Zarzaparrilla, El Apeadero (sit), Titanic (sit), La Huella del Jabali, Garbancito (sit), Gitanic (sit), La Campana, Fight Club, El Varano

Top three sport routes

Mecca Ext. 8c
A good way to end the sport season. Glad to have put the demons to rest, after taking a bad fall last year on this and waking up in hospital

Barney Ragin' 8b+
The epitome of sustained wall climbing! Put up more of a fight than I was expecting and would recommend to anyone, along with the easier variant "love amongst..." who is looking for a technical challenge and not just pulling down on big holds!

Techno Prisoners 8b+
Adds three star (albeit morpho) climbing atop an already three star route! I can not recommend this route more to anyone who is not a midget. Another thing that took me by surprise was its length, 52 moves long and sustained all the way, I can attest to this having fallen from move 49 on one unlucky attempt.

honorable mentions;
K5, Love Amongst the Butterflies, Revelations, The Auctioneer, Rumble in the Jungle, Four Door Dostoyevsky, Agent Provocateur, Boot Boys, all of these I would highly recommend to anybody.

Top new route

Body Snatchers 8b+
My only new route of the year, and the first time I've ever had to place bolts myself. So was a good learning experience. The route itself is a direct finish to the already desperate R'n'P, from the "rest" on R'n'P sustained moves lead you into the crux of snatch which then becomes the red point crux of the route.

Top new boulders

Cave Slave 7C+
Extension to cave problem, starting as for ben's extension. busted out the tinfoil to be able to climb this one due to the perma wet jug on the back wall.

α (Alpha) 7C
At last, the glue held this time! Really made up with this one, should be on any peak limestone boulder list.

Blackout 7A+/B
Some really nicely sculpted hold (sculpted by nature that is not me!). I must admit, a little disappointed new beta got found and it is possible to do without jumping. The problem has become popular with quite a few repeats in just a few months after putting it up, and that made me feel good, just the satisfaction of others doing the problem and enjoying it.

Top Spankings

Devonshire Arms
Man this thing shut me down, think i had about 3 sessions just dedicated to this route alone after having done the links into k3 and powerplant, still didn't manage it, I just can't hold that undercut!

Having done the link from the 2nd bolt to the top on my first session(or was it second...) success seem imminent, 5 sessions of bad conditions later and I have tweaked a ligament in my knee, an injury that I feel still to today and must remain extremely cautious of drop knees.

tomtom

• forum hero
#104 Re: Best of 2015
January 19, 2016, 08:08:13 am
Greet year Haydn.

andy_e

• forum hero
#105 Re: Best of 2015
January 20, 2016, 01:06:44 pm
Blackout is ace even with the easier method!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal