UKBouldering.com

Thinking of ditching desktop PC (Read 3395 times)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Thinking of ditching desktop PC
May 21, 2015, 05:12:26 pm
Due to a furniture issue, been thinking about ditching the desktop and getting a decent laptop instead, purely so we don't have to have a computer desk in the house. I do much prefer using a desktop TBH but either need to sell a very nice sideboard to make space for a computer desk or ditch the desktop.
Anybody ditched their desktop and regretted it or thought why didn't I do this ages ago???

kelvin

• forum hero
#1 Re: Thinking of ditching desktop PC
May 21, 2015, 05:26:04 pm
Me.

Was worried about only having a laptop, as I need to use the thing for work (invoicing etc) but so glad I ditched the desktop. Win all round.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#2 Re: Thinking of ditching desktop PC
May 21, 2015, 05:58:57 pm
I initially ditched the desktop for a laptop, but still kept it around for the big screen when I was using CAD a lot.
Now it's redundant and gathers dust (except the one we use for PAYE, which gets an hour or two once a month).
The laptop had a fit, about a year ago and is still "awaiting repair", because it turned out that was redundant too...

The entire family and now two businesses, run on tablets and a 3TB server (at home, a "My Book"), which gives us access to all our data etc anywhere, anytime.

Now the thought of firing up a windows based system and waiting half a life time before it's ready to use, is just plain irritating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Thinking of ditching desktop PC
May 21, 2015, 06:09:40 pm
I've been laptop-only for the last couple of years and haven't missed the big screen.

I would want the big screen for any serious photo editing, but hadn't done any of that for a while anyway.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Thinking of ditching desktop PC
May 21, 2015, 06:49:09 pm
I just use a laptop Jim and you know how good I am with computers..

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#5 Re: Thinking of ditching desktop PC
May 21, 2015, 07:23:40 pm
I've not used a desktop since the 90's. Laptops all the way.

remus

• forum hero
#6 Re: Thinking of ditching desktop PC
May 21, 2015, 10:59:47 pm
Laptops are fine these days, especially if you splash a bit of cash on something with a decent CPU, a few gig of ram and an SSD.

If you're still worried about the computing power/stability/expansion/whatever of the laptop, a nice compromise is to leave the desktop plugged in to your home network and stick it in a cupboard somewhere. You can then use remote desktop to connect to it and basically just use it like you normally would. Also has the advantage that it's essentially a server, so if you're feeling keen you can make it do lots of cool stuff (network storage, media hub sort of setup, even run a website from it if you're really keen.)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Thinking of ditching desktop PC
May 21, 2015, 11:02:16 pm
Now the thought of firing up a windows based system and waiting half a life time before it's ready to use, is just plain irritating.

Your NAS will be running a GNU/Linux variant (they all do since the license is far cheaper than M$-Win). :2thumbsup:

Personally I've not made the switch, mainly 'cause I find typing on anything other than an ergonomic keyboard a pain in the arse wrists.  But then the vast majority of people probably don't use the keyboard a great deal.  I do have a laptop for when I go travelling and can use the keyboard but I tend to only use the laptop for editing pictures whilst travelling or taking to work for presentations/meetings for making notes.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#8 Re: Thinking of ditching desktop PC
May 21, 2015, 11:42:00 pm
One missing point here is, you can plug in both a larger screen and a more ergonomic keyboard and any number of external drives; when using a laptop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: Thinking of ditching desktop PC
May 21, 2015, 11:57:02 pm
Kebyoard can be wireless, although personally I've never found using a Bluetooth keyboard on my lap that comfortable/easy since my wrists aren't supported in the same way as when sat at a desk.

Plugging in a HDMI cable isn't much hassle, but it would be be great if you could just cast your desktop to the screen. (Not ever tried this though, since I still have a desktop I use  :P )

TheTwig

• stalker
#10 Re: Thinking of ditching desktop PC
May 22, 2015, 02:01:10 am
 :off: slightly, but SSD's are amazing. I got a 128gb one in my tower PC with a 3TB external hard drive I keep for file sharing, movies and whatnot. The speed of a SSD compared to a normal drive is crazy.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#11 Re: Thinking of ditching desktop PC
May 23, 2015, 08:16:00 am
Having a keyboard accessory of some type on a laptop/PC or tablet is useful for teaching kids to use one. Keyboard skills don't tend to get taught in schools much and I think it's still one of the most important skills someone can have. Despite everything we haven't moved away from using a Qwerty keyboard and it is useful in virtually any career. Laptop keyboards are ok, but you can't beat a proper PC setup with separate monitor for learning to type.

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Thinking of ditching desktop PC
May 23, 2015, 08:41:03 am
I've not owned a desktop since 2003. I have a second monitor at home and work to plug in when I need to do things with two screens/more real estate...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: Thinking of ditching desktop PC
June 09, 2015, 01:06:15 pm
:off: slightly, but SSD's are amazing. I got a 128gb one in my tower PC with a 3TB external hard drive I keep for file sharing, movies and whatnot. The speed of a SSD compared to a normal drive is crazy.

I've a similar setup a 250Gb SSD for the OS and /home/ then two 3Tb in RAID1 (mirroring) for music/pictures/films/work.

Why isn't your 3Tb drive inside the computer?  Unless you've USB3 then the USB connection will be a bottleneck in your transfer rates compared to SATA.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal