UKBouldering.com

How Many Pads? (Read 10364 times)

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
How Many Pads?
February 23, 2015, 03:25:45 pm
So going to try and get Neverfall out of the way...

How many pads deep would you request for a boulder problem of 700cm?

Or to put it another way, to step off a ledge at a smidgen over 5m, what would be the minimum depth of pads you would need for comfort? :whistle: :geek:

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1 Re: How Many Pads?
February 23, 2015, 03:29:44 pm
So going to try and get Neverfall out of the way...

How many pads deep would you request for a boulder problem of 700cm?

Or to put it another way, to step off a ledge at a smidgen over 5m, what would be the minimum depth of pads you would need for comfort? :whistle: :geek:

V3. :sorry:

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#2 Re: How Many Pads?
February 23, 2015, 03:40:54 pm
 :shrug:
 Does this mean one of my Open projects has fallen to a portly proler, if so  :dance1:

Otherwise I reiterate  :shrug:

:kiss2:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: How Many Pads?
February 23, 2015, 04:10:36 pm
n + 1. Where n is the number you use and hurt yourself.

Sloper

• forum hero
#4 Re: How Many Pads?
February 23, 2015, 04:19:03 pm
:shrug:
 Does this mean one of my Open projects has fallen to a portly proler, if so  :dance1:

Otherwise I reiterate  :shrug:

:kiss2:

No, oblique reference to Alan Jane's bollox.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#5 Re: How Many Pads?
February 23, 2015, 04:25:54 pm
Fair play, I'm just trying not to break my legs... :punk:

Wood FT

• forum hero
#6 Re: How Many Pads?
February 23, 2015, 04:45:33 pm
I've taken some quite large lobs onto 2-deep pad stacks,  in my opinion it's much more important learning how to land properly* and correct(ed) placement of pads taking in account re-bounds. 

This is completely devoid of science but I reckon past a certain height it doesn't matter how many pads you have an injury is gunna happen, like jumping into water.

so in answer to your question - 2 deep*

*I don't know a proper way, but I can tell you my way for small finders fee

*the author accepts no responsibility for whiplash or broken noses

Sloper

• forum hero
#7 Re: How Many Pads?
February 23, 2015, 04:58:20 pm
I've taken some quite large lobs onto 2-deep pad stacks,  in my opinion it's much more important learning how to land properly* and correct(ed) placement of pads taking in account re-bounds. 

This is completely devoid of science but I reckon past a certain height it doesn't matter how many pads you have an injury is gunna happen, like jumping into water.

Don't also forget about the permanent affect of repeatedly hitting the ground whether with no pads, a few or a few dozen.  Also 15 pads does not equal safety if you land badly, in a gap between two pads & etc

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#8 Re: How Many Pads?
February 23, 2015, 05:12:12 pm
Flat mellow landing area - 1-2 deep
Talus nastyness - whatever it takes :)

Standard fair on Evilution nowadays is 2-3 deep. 

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: How Many Pads?
February 23, 2015, 05:41:42 pm
2 (good) pads deep... the danger with more is that its easy to get into a topple/miss th edge scenario.. On multipad scenarios I also like using a 'satellite' pad (those little foot scraping ones) on top of the joins - so if you and on a join you don't go through etc...

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#10 Re: How Many Pads?
February 23, 2015, 07:15:05 pm
Cool, I guess that make sense from previous highball japes, but Despite my putting green quality patio work, the fear was taking hold a  bit...
 :boxing:
More ground coverage the better, and I'll get an extra  1/2 a move out of it too...  :popcorn:

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#11 Re: How Many Pads?
February 24, 2015, 05:52:20 am

Good spotting is as important, assuming you have (roughly) enough mats - even big falls are fine with a 2-deep stack of mats providing you've got a spotter to 'guide' you onto them.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#12 Re: How Many Pads?
February 24, 2015, 09:22:20 am

Good spotting is as important, assuming you have (roughly) enough mats - even big falls are fine with a 2-deep stack of mats providing you've got a spotter to 'guide' you onto them.

I agree, though I would rather the spot was used to keep me on the pad area if I bounce, I think spotters getting too close for the initial landing can cause injuries to both. Sorry if this is what you meant.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#13 Re: How Many Pads?
February 24, 2015, 11:50:20 am

I agree, though I would rather the spot was used to keep me on the pad area if I bounce, I think spotters getting too close for the initial landing can cause injuries to both. Sorry if this is what you meant.

Precisely.

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Re: How Many Pads?
February 24, 2015, 12:44:16 pm
Practice falling off. Get to a high point (where you might fall off) and jump. Get a feel for how to land/where to go/how to adjust pads etc...

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#15 Re: How Many Pads?
February 24, 2015, 01:11:45 pm
Falling off, I've done a fair bit. I guess it helps if most of your teens climbing experience was at the Brunel uni wall...

All other highball projects I've usually done on my tod with a couple of mats, or on things that went really high, dragged along a spotter (Its not the years.. above Nant peris springs to mind)

For some reason I though more is better, although thinking back to my last neverfall trip, none of the landings felt any different to  hitting two pads, the others didn't seem to "kick in".

I guess the Quarries, can just be kinda intimidating....

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#16 Re: How Many Pads?
February 24, 2015, 03:27:30 pm
I definitely notice the difference between 2 pads deep and 3+pads deep. Most people in my experience take far too little care arranging pads though. Neatness and overlaps are important. For really big falls a floating spot pad works well too.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#17 Re: How Many Pads?
February 24, 2015, 03:36:25 pm
Yeah, what's all this nonsense about 2 pads deep being enough? As many as you can muster is the answer! Especially as pads are usually in varying states of knackeredness, where 2 battered pads might not equal one new pad.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#18 Re: How Many Pads?
February 24, 2015, 04:04:06 pm
Most people in my experience take far too little care arranging pads though. Neatness and overlaps are important.
As are colour coordination and symmetry. Arranging a proper padstack is often more fun than having to climb up and get scared above it.

Also r-man is right, more than 2 wrongs might be needed to make 1 right. I have two wrecked old Pods, they are actually negative pads, on their own they make landings worse....but they're okay to wedge in gaps and fill in holes.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#19 Re: How Many Pads?
February 24, 2015, 04:16:41 pm
For really big falls a floating spot pad works well too.

why is this? Discussed this at the crag and didn't come up with anything solid

Especially as pads are usually in varying states of knackeredness, where 2 battered pads might not equal one new pad.

Well obviously. Though if you have enough new pads and enough knackered pads you could make a giant version of how a pad works.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#20 Re: How Many Pads?
February 24, 2015, 04:37:03 pm
I think I'll just not fall off....

mark20

• junky
#21 Re: How Many Pads?
February 24, 2015, 04:58:28 pm
For really big falls a floating spot pad works well too.

why is this? Discussed this at the crag and didn't come up with anything solid

Traps air underneath which slows you down slightly, I think

To reduce the force of impact of a fall, you are trying to increase the length of time it takes to slow the body to a stop. So landing well and crumpling/rolling is important. In terms of padding, a slightly sloping landing can be useful, as the top pad slides off across the lower pad. Or my favourite, get gaps of air between the pads, taco pads that aren't completely flattened out work well in a 'house of cards' arrangement. Or tactically placed clothing holding the layers of pads apart, or bushy branches etc. Taken some big falls like this.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#22 Re: How Many Pads?
February 24, 2015, 05:06:47 pm
So landing well and crumpling/rolling is important.
:agree:, just don't roll off the pads, this is where spotters can really help

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#23 Re: How Many Pads?
February 24, 2015, 05:11:22 pm
a slightly sloping landing can be useful, as the top pad slides off across the lower pad.

Aarrghh, no thanks! Broken ankles a go go...

tomtom

• forum hero
#24 Re: How Many Pads?
February 24, 2015, 05:44:45 pm
Yeah, what's all this nonsense about 2 pads deep being enough? As many as you can muster is the answer! Especially as pads are usually in varying states of knackeredness, where 2 battered pads might not equal one new pad.

You do weigh 0.1 feathers though R-Man ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal