UKBouldering.com

Anybody here living in Paris? (Read 2894 times)

john mc c

Anybody here living in Paris?
September 07, 2014, 07:06:32 pm
I'm moving to Paris with work, unfortunetely not next to Font though.
Think I'll be living somewhere north of the airport aroud the Chantilly area.
Is there anyone on here living in the Paris area that would be keen on hooking up at the weekends for Font?
Also if anyone knows of any training facilities or boardshares in the Chantilly area would be good to hear.
Cheers. John.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1 Re: Anybody here living in Paris?
September 08, 2014, 09:11:40 am
I think Fried lives in Paris.

fried

• forum hero
#2 Re: Anybody here living in Paris?
September 08, 2014, 04:52:58 pm
Chantilly is unfortunately on the wrong side of Paris, i don't know if you have transport or not, but either way you're looking at 2h to Font. Your best option would be to look at the FFME site http://www.ffme.fr/club/1085.html. and specifically  http://www.sudoiseescalade.com/

Getting involved in the club scene is a good way to get access to people who would know about training facilities and the private club walls. I've never visited any, but until recently these had the best facilities, most top French climbers are involved in this federal structure. I personally can't stand clubs...

I don't have anything specifically against meeting up for a climb, but I've tried it before and it's been a logistical nightmare. I find Font pretty friendly and most people are happy to give you a spot, work a problem with you. I generally chat to people there..make friends..see them six months later.

Also, I'm a 40something punter, happily ticking off low level circuit, maybe not your cup of tea. Ghisino might be about somewhere, he probably knows more than me about the clubs around Paris.

PM if you want any more info.

john mc c

#3 Re: Anybody here living in Paris?
September 08, 2014, 08:48:28 pm
Thanks for the info Fried, I'll have a look at those links you put up. My standard of French is terrible though, so will see how the club thing pans out...... I should have some transport within a month or so, just as the weather cools down a bit. Once I've got myself sorted I'll maybe give you a shout? I'm pushing 40 myself, no issues for me for some circuits, may do me some good as lately I've been in siege mode grade chasing.. Cheers. John.

ghisino

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Anybody here living in Paris?
September 08, 2014, 11:46:10 pm
hi!
in random order

Bleau: no problem for meeting there but my weekends are wednesdays thursdays and fridays. and i might have time on mondays and tuesdays until mid afternoon. Unfortunately other people's weekends are were i work the most as my job is in the sport leisure sector!

I see you will be equally distant from font and two other sites that might interest you and might be more traffic friendly:
-Les Andelys. Chalk sport climbing. Not nearly as bad as it sounds, actually quite fun and not choosy at all. harder routes often involve small pockets and bouldery moves, good training for places like FJ or Buoux.
-La Hottée du Diable http://www.camptocamp.org/sites/102457/fr/la-hottee-du-diable miniBleau north east of Paris.

bouldering related traffic (i assume you'll have a car and will face this major obstacle).
sytadin.fr and infotrafic.com are your friends.
On sundays, if you want to go to font, ahem, bleau, get up early and drive back late. Having dinner in the forest is often a very good option.
On saturday evenings stay away from the boulevard periphérique.

gyms and clubs.
I personally do not like FFME too much, for many reasons that would be too long to discuss here.
If a club is the only option, have a look at FFCAM (alpine club) clubs as well. some of them run a wall. Overall the only federation having an idea of rock climbing i can agree with.
FSGT (a leftist post-communist relic : "worker's sport and gymnastic federation") can be good as well, they run several walls in paris and have historically given a great contribution to the "democratization" of bouldering in fontainebleau (circuit painting etc)

in terms of private walls, which were my choice as a customer and are my choice as an insider to the french climbing business, your reasonable options are:
-blockout.fr 1 and 2. ok bouldering walls. the burgers, beers and the bright, colorful place (B'O 2) are what i like the most. The stereotypical commercial approach ("really sure you wouldn't be better served by a 12 month pass sir ghisino, my best friend ghisino?") and the overly crimpy, fairly basic route setting are what i don't like at all.
-murmur.fr , pantin. sport climbing wall. I teach and route set there so i can only say positive things! :P. Honestly, nice wall, good and varied setting, maybe a bit pricey. The average customers are a weird mix including clueless "banlieusards" who have never seen anything other than concrete in their lives, a few mostly old and respectable climbing fanatics, and some very bourgeois parisians -dentists, lawyers and the like- who train in the gym all year wearing the most expensive equipment and will probably climb outside 3 days a year, in chamonix, hiring a guide. All in all that's maybe the most parisian climbing venue you can find around paris.
-roc evasion, epinay sur seine. Never been there!!!
-Arkose, Montreuil. A small but very cool bouldering gym. Their biggest strength is the excellent route setting at all levels, by international/national setters Thibault LeScour and Flo Escoffier. Varied and tasteful, i always enjoy my sessions there...i get trashed, with a smile.
-Blocbuster, Courbevoie. Similar to arkose, a bit bigger and the setting style is maybe a tad less varied, but more wall profiles.BigUp too!
-Hardbloc, Alfortville. This is a weird one. Really cool wall, magnificent holds, technically good setting, but not that fun. Most of their blocs seem built to test all the climber's abilities at the same time. Plus, easy levels are not easy by any standards (ok warmups for a 7a++ climber) and hard levels are world-cup-training hard. All in all it is a bit oppressing and lacks a bit of playful element and irony, good if you want to be thoroughly tested or trained, not the best if you simply want to have fun or want both the fun and the training.
-Antrebloc, Villejuif. That's where i spent most of my spare time during my first paris years...it used to be great when i matched the user profile. it is now old, dark and dusty compared to the newer gyms but should still have its distinct vibe...a student's and unemployed's venue, where the bar is often busier than the wall itself and distinct oriental, or rather...dutch fragrances propagate from some not-so-hidden corner of the parking lot...
-Le Nautil, Pontault Combault. pricey wall but the best for serious sport training. very stamina-oriented setting, rounded finger and skin friendly holds, that's the best place in the paris area to turn your forearms into watermelons.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:05:17 am by ghisino »

john mc c

#5 Re: Anybody here living in Paris?
September 09, 2014, 06:39:14 pm
Ghisino, Thanks for the knowledge, particulary the bouldering spot in the North could be really useful for quick hits rather than heading to the south. You don't know if there is a topo online anywhere, or a guide for it? I've had a google for it but not managed to turn up much, most of the links I've found that appear to be for topo's seem to be broken.
Getting out in the week is likely to be difficult for me, other than the odd day I might take off for a long weekend.
Like you say, being in the north isn't ideal with the traffic, but will just have to suck it up and get an alpine start at the weekends...
I did go once to Blocbuster in Courbevoie, would have been ideal for me as original plan was for me to be working in La Defense, but now working up at the airport so decided to find somewhere to live in the North, mainly to cut commuting time and also I'm not big into cities so don't really fancy living in the centre.
Thanks again for the info. John.

fried

• forum hero
#6 Re: Anybody here living in Paris?
September 09, 2014, 06:44:07 pm
I'm a regular at Blocbuster, usually Sundays if it's raining and mid-week earlyish. Not to bad travel wise coming in from Chantilly. I have a couple of free passes that I can't give away...

Blocbuster also benefits from having a decent gym/ training bit which both Arkose and Hardbloc lack. The Hottee du diable topo http://tortega.blog.free.fr/public/La_hottee_du_diable.pdf. Nice spot if it's not too hot. I also noticed a spot in Ermenonville in the link I sent you yesterday not far from Chantilly. I've never heard it mentioned before which seems strange.

fried

• forum hero
#7 Re: Anybody here living in Paris?
September 09, 2014, 06:56:25 pm
I notice the link for the topo doesn't work, however if you google 'hottee du diable topo free' you can click on the first or second link and it works perfectly. I'm sure someone knows why.

john mc c

#8 Re: Anybody here living in Paris?
September 13, 2014, 09:14:40 pm
Thanks for the  advise on Chantilly, work have now decided the actually want me in La Defense.... Looking for some where to live in the west now. Bloc Buster will be now certainly be my local wall, will maybe catch you down there at some point.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal