UKBouldering.com

Advice from GPs please (Read 8150 times)

fatkid2000

• junky
#25 Re: Advice from GPs please
February 28, 2012, 08:51:46 pm
Well this entered my surgery this afternoon and the crap science I got presented with made me really angry.

The garbage 2 sets of parents had printed of the internet was staggering.

There are some good points above. My boy has been vaccinated.

Andrew Wakefield has done huge damage -  vaccination and public health things like sanitation, banning smoking in public are the things that make a difference to the populations health. Yes Fatdoc can use his flash machines on ITU, but on a population basis this type of intervention makes fairly small differences.

From what I understand both the US and Australia have basically made it a legal requirement to be vaccinated - otherwise no mainstream education.

AS pointed out above the mass media haven't helped - The Daily Mail don't put the Lancet's retraction of Wakefield's research on its front page. Mind it would have helped if The Lancets retraction had been stronger.

My boss last year thought denying kids vaccination was a child protection issue and I think I agree.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#26 Re: Advice from GPs please
February 28, 2012, 09:17:39 pm

AS pointed out above the mass media haven't helped - The Daily Mail don't put the Lancet's retraction of Wakefield's research on its front page.
:lol: :lol:
I don't think the Mail likes the medical profession much -I peeked yesterday and there was a small column on page 5 about ballotting for industrial action - almost invisible being dwarfed by the adjacent large fleshy photo of 'back to work' Emma Harrison looking especially unappealing. One covered 2/3rds the page, one about 1/10th - guess which had prominence?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#27 Re: Advice from GPs please
February 28, 2012, 11:38:31 pm
Well this entered my surgery this afternoon and the crap science I got presented with made me really angry.

Andrew Wakefield has done huge damage -  vaccination and public health things like sanitation, banning smoking in public are the things that make a difference to the populations health. Yes Fatdoc can use his flash machines on ITU, but on a population basis this type of intervention makes fairly small differences.

From what I understand both the US and Australia have basically made it a legal requirement to be vaccinated - otherwise no mainstream education.

AS pointed out above the mass media haven't helped - The Daily Mail don't put the Lancet's retraction of Wakefield's research on its front page. Mind it would have helped if The Lancets retraction had been stronger.

My boss last year thought denying kids vaccination was a child protection issue and I think I agree.

:agree:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#28 Re: Advice from GPs please
February 29, 2012, 08:11:39 am

:agree:

I agree too.  On a separate note, parents that smoke irk me too but that a separate issue.   :worms:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#29 Re: Advice from GPs please
February 29, 2012, 08:31:10 am
On a separate note, parents that smoke irk me too but that a separate issue.   :worms:

But prohibition doesn't work.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#30 Re: Advice from GPs please
February 29, 2012, 09:09:49 am
I'm well aware it's a tricky issue, as highlighted by the recent smoking in cars debate.

fatkid2000

• junky
#31 Re: Advice from GPs please
February 29, 2012, 09:23:26 am
The usual response I get to this - I smoke outside.  :wall:

After my day at work yesterday I'm sure most of the population is retarded and has a complete inability to think for themselves. Of course the Daily Wail is far more qualified to give medical advice than anyone with a medical degree and a stack of post-grad qualifications.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#32 Re: Advice from GPs please
February 29, 2012, 10:01:33 am
I'm well aware it's a tricky issue, as highlighted by the recent smoking in cars debate.

The BMA got egg on their face over that one (11 v's 23 times)!  :lol:

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#33 Re: Advice from GPs please
February 29, 2012, 11:30:09 am
These arguments are circular and ridiculous on the most part. Reminds me of the MMR scare, where the whole country was paying to have 'single' vaccinations with no evidence base. The only reasonable evidence was that the vaccinations conferred better immunity when given as a triple injection.

It is usually the ignorant minority who make the most noise. Water fluoridation being a case in point.

BenF

• forum hero
#34 Re: Advice from GPs please
February 29, 2012, 12:45:18 pm
A good thread, full of rational thought.

Obviously Ben Goldacre has had a shout on here, but this book is also worth a read if you're interested in the issues raised:

http://www.dangardner.ca/index.php/books/item/16-risk-the-science-and-politics-of-fear

Just thought I'd mention it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal