UKBouldering.com

An expert speaks… (Read 3342 times)

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
An expert speaks…
March 22, 2011, 06:39:56 pm
Normally. I'd put this in the "news" thread.

But I feel it deserves one of its own.

http://istyosty.com/gsr "They are militantly racist"

(interestingly, if you must read it at source, and fund Lord Rothermere's "cash for clicks" funding model, the comments from the dear old DM's own readers make for interesting  reading

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1368594/Japanese-earthquake-tsunami-My-wifes-PoW-grandad-wouldnt-mark-minutes-silence.html

)

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: An expert speaks…
March 22, 2011, 06:51:53 pm
Littlejohn is a complete wanker. This has been lighting up the twittosphere this afternoon where he has rightfully been called cunt of the week...

I am NOT trying to defend him in any sort of way - but if you peel away the myopia and underlying racist tones (or blantant racism really) of Littlejohn, he touches on an interesting point. That is how do we choose to pay respect (or celebrate as he puts it) major disasters/deaths at things like football matches? He rightly makes the point that whilst there was a minutes silence for the Japanese quake/tsunami before this weekends EPL games, there was no such mark of respect for the 700 000 killed in Rwanda. A fair point - and this would be the basis for an interesting - and sensible article using some balanced and reasoned arguments. But not now - maybe in a years time - and NOT under the banner of 'how the Japs wronged us' in the war... for christs sake what a fucking dick. I dont think he is capble of appreciating - let alone understanding what cultural differences might actually mean...

I really dont understand how someone can keep their job saying these things...

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#2 Re: An expert speaks…
March 22, 2011, 07:06:25 pm
No, I don't agree.

He's being a cunt.

Commenting on/objecting to "grief olympics" about this disaster, that tragedy, the other catastrophe is another matter entirely - and I'm as big a critic of this sort of outpouring of faux emotion as you'll find - but this isn't

- the time to make this point

- the example that should be used

- or the manner in which it should be made

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: An expert speaks…
March 22, 2011, 07:12:25 pm
No, I don't agree.

He's being a cunt.

Commenting on/objecting to "grief olympics" about this disaster, that tragedy, the other catastrophe is another matter entirely - and I'm as big a critic of this sort of outpouring of faux emotion as you'll find - but this isn't

I agree with what you've written above - thats what I'm trying to say - so probaly said it badly...

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#4 Re: An expert speaks…
March 22, 2011, 07:19:06 pm
Fair ennuffski.

To expand on my point expanding on yours - like you said, there's a veneer of repellent bile outside a semi-reasonable point.

I just happen to think that there's a kernel of the self-same repellent bile in the middle of the shell and the inner coating.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#5 Re: An expert speaks…
March 22, 2011, 09:22:14 pm

http://istyosty.com/gsr "WE are militantly racist"

Fixed that for you. It's about education isn't it (and our ability to think critically)? I mean, if that were an undergraduate essay, he'd never make it to Christmas. It's an illogical and fallacious sequence of prejudices. There really isn't a meaningful link between the EPL and the Tsunami but having a pop at footballers allows us to nod in agreement and so be diverted from from what just might prove an unacceptable argument if we tarried and considered it for a minute - which we don't because everyone agrees JTs an overpaid tosser..

I wouldn't suggest Littlejohn is super smart, but I think he's seriously more intelligent than his writing appears. After all unlike the red tops the Mail has a reading age about 12, and manipulating your readership requires being a tad smarter - and Littlejohn all the more of a tosser for it.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#6 Re: An expert speaks…
March 22, 2011, 09:52:46 pm
I've just noticed that on the right hand side of the DM column are a series of "quick polls" on typically DM-esque topics.

One is "how young is too young for kids to have their own TV?" - the responses are "Yes" and "No".

For gawd's sake, there's not even a "Pink Anasazi" option, and don't even get me started on not being able to vote "Pain Au Chocolat". You couldn't make it up.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: An expert speaks…
March 22, 2011, 11:50:06 pm
I am NOT trying to defend him in any sort of way - but if you peel away the myopia and underlying racist tones (or blantant racism really) of Littlejohn, he touches on an interesting point. That is how do we choose to pay respect (or celebrate as he puts it) major disasters/deaths at things like football matches? He rightly makes the point that whilst there was a minutes silence for the Japanese quake/tsunami before this weekends EPL games, there was no such mark of respect for the 700 000 killed in Rwanda. A fair point - and this would be the basis for an interesting - and sensible article using some balanced and reasoned arguments.

There is a subtle glaringly obvious difference between these two types of events....

Some are "natural disasters" whilst others are "man made".

Yes you could argue that buildings not made to withstand the known threat of earthquakes are in effect man-made, but its not the same as some fuckwit head of country going out and sanctioning the killing of lots of citizens.  Not that this is any consolation to those who loose their lives (not that they can be consoled, they're already dead), but it may in part explain why people react differently to the two disparate situations, because one happens really quickly and humans have no control or influence over it and the other is, unfortunately, coldly calculated.

Littlejohn should be barred from ever publishing anything ever again, a first class  :wank: er

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: An expert speaks…
March 23, 2011, 07:13:32 am

There is a subtle glaringly obvious difference between these two types of events....

Some are "natural disasters" whilst others are "man made".

You are absolutely right - and I missed the glaringly obvious...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#9 Re: An expert speaks…
March 23, 2011, 09:00:51 am
I'm really trying not to click on any DM links any more seeing as they generate massive amounts of advertising revenue from people being outraged about their filth and posting links on Twitter. It's a vicious circle!

No need to in this case as I can get the gist from your posts. Littlejohn is indeed a scumbag of the highest order. Let's watch him getting smacked down.....

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#10 Re: An expert speaks…
March 24, 2011, 07:09:21 pm
I'm really trying not to click on any DM links any more seeing as they generate massive amounts of advertising revenue from people being outraged about their filth and posting links on Twitter. It's a vicious circle!

No need to in this case as I can get the gist from your posts. Littlejohn is indeed a scumbag of the highest order. Let's watch him getting smacked down.....

The first link is a mirror/copy of the article. It's only the second one that's the genuine article, so you don't need to compromise your principles.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#11 Re: An expert speaks…
March 24, 2011, 08:32:39 pm
Don't forget Will Self taking Richard Littlejohn apart as wel...on the topic of Littlejohn's book:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1390395.stm

SELF: It is a 400 page... I've read 200 pages of it and that is a 200 page recruiting leaflet for the BNP.

LITTLEJOHN: Well, you can't comment until you have read the other 200.

SELF: Why? Does it suddenly turn into Tolstoy?

LITTLEJOHN: You'll have to read it and find out, won't you.

SELF: Well it won't take me long.

kilgore1080

• player
  • Hashi Tensai!
#12 Re: An expert speaks…
March 25, 2011, 10:17:51 am
No, I don't agree.

He's being a cunt.

:agree: Littlejohn is an uber-cunt

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal