UKBouldering.com

what UK climbing needs... (Read 4391 times)

al123

• menacing presence
what UK climbing needs...
March 13, 2011, 09:23:09 am
just had a possibly amazing brainwave. all climbers when it rains are cursing and swearing and wondering if it will dry up, so what we need is a table with wind speed and direction, sun and then amount of time to dry out. then in guidebooks or on the internet climbers could look at this table for the a specific crag and know the time it will take to dry out. good idea?  :goodidea:

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1 Re: what UK climbing needs...
March 13, 2011, 10:19:47 am
just had a possibly amazing brainwave. all climbers when it rains are cursing and swearing and wondering if it will dry up, so what we need is a table with wind speed and direction, sun and then amount of time to dry out. then in guidebooks or on the internet climbers could look at this table for the a specific crag and know the time it will take to dry out. good idea?  :goodidea:

Is called local knowledge  ;)

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: what UK climbing needs...
March 13, 2011, 10:46:15 am

The only other things you'd probably need to know would be local humidity, the amount of moisture in the ground, how wet the rock was to start off with and a perfect local weather forecast.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#3 Re: what UK climbing needs...
March 13, 2011, 11:47:13 am
The only other things you'd probably need to know would be local humidity, the amount of moisture in the ground, how wet the rock was to start off with and a perfect local weather forecast.

quite simple then really. al123 can you start by documenting the Newstones and report back when its dry, cheers.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: what UK climbing needs...
March 13, 2011, 01:54:00 pm
Route wise, On Peak Rock has a useful Appendix for this sort of thing.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#5 Re: what UK climbing needs...
March 13, 2011, 07:09:59 pm
What I'd find handy is a weather site that showed what the weather has been like for the past few days so you can see whether the crags are likely to be seeping or not, a sort of aftcast.

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: what UK climbing needs...
March 13, 2011, 07:38:34 pm
What I'd find handy is a weather site that showed what the weather has been like for the past few days so you can see whether the crags are likely to be seeping or not, a sort of aftcast.
:goodidea:

andy_e

• forum hero
#7 Re: what UK climbing needs...
March 15, 2011, 12:35:25 pm
I remember the Farnell trying to coerce me into studying hydrogeology so I could work out drainage patterns above Malham and Kilnsey... No thanks Andy, I'll stick to real rocks.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#8 Re: what UK climbing needs...
March 15, 2011, 02:51:36 pm
Route wise, On Peak Rock has a useful Appendix for this sort of thing.

Only the orignal version, they removed it for the reprint. :-(

IanP

• forum abuser
#9 Re: what UK climbing needs...
March 15, 2011, 05:09:44 pm

weatheronline does that.  Select current weather and you can get details from previous days including precipitation and sunshine hours.  Not sure there's enough weather stations to make it perfect but it can be useful.

biscuit

• menacing presence
#10 Re: what UK climbing needs...
March 17, 2011, 09:40:56 am
This is what i use for St Bees.

http://www.stbees.org.uk/weather/downld08.htm

there is also a weather network set up in Borrowdale using local primary schools.

There's loads of little projects like this about from schools and local amateurs. Worth a google for wherever you're interested in.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: what UK climbing needs...
March 17, 2011, 10:19:18 am
I used to take daily temperature and precipitation readings at secondary school and record them, never put them online as there wasn't the option.  I wonder if they have been transferred yet, think I'll have a look.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#12 Re: what UK climbing needs...
March 17, 2011, 11:01:53 am
... a kind off http://magicseaweed.com/Anglesey-Surf-Report/37/ for climbers..  :goodidea:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#13 Re: what UK climbing needs...
March 17, 2011, 11:13:47 am
I actually find the MSW weather report to be reasonably accurate.

http://www.yr.no/english/1.2025949

Seems to do fairly well for accuracy too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal