UKBouldering.com

Sudden susceptibility to finger injury! (Read 5130 times)

tom84

Sudden susceptibility to finger injury!
August 23, 2010, 02:35:54 pm
Hi ive recently suffered a spate of finger injuries on both hands, these have appeared out of the blue, ive hade finger injuries before normally bouldering or training. More recently ive pulled/torn/hurt tendons in 3 fingers in the space of 3 months. Its starting to get very fustrating. The last two were climbing trad not anywere near my pysical limit and definatly not pulling that hard.
Its got to the point now were my hands bassicaly feel fucked and incredible fragile/tweaky, to the point were any form stress makes me actually scared that any one finger may suddenly self destruct.
This is definatly a recent problem, earlier this year i was doing full bore mono repeaters on my beastmaker now im blowing fingers up on e2's .im iceing takeing condrotine and useing a metolious ball as therapy so the treatments not and issue, My question more has anyone else experienced these periods were there fingers feel this unstable and what did they do to sort it out as regards getting some confidnce back that there hands not go to self destruct? Oh and any thoughts on what causes it would be good!

Paul B

• forum hero
Could this all be down to scar tissue? (Read the recent Spherical cow post).

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
How interesting, I shall follow this thread.

My body seems to be taking a recent dislike to climbing of any sort. Specifically my ring fingers which seem to feel tweaky on any hold.
I just came back from an A2 pulley on my right middle finger and now both of my ring fingers are unhappy.
Currently laid up for another month or so with 'tendon strain' as diagnosed by a physio at the world cup.

tom84

What the guys says seems to make sense. ive not really had long lays off though normally wait one prehaps two weeks for intial swelling to reside then easy climbing so im inclined to think build through inactivity is not an issue.

It could become one though as even the thought of pulling at the mo is well scarey

chris05

• forum abuser
Also interested in the thread. No help but i've also managed to damage three separate fingers within a couple of months, having never had finger injury's before. Think it may have coincided with an increase in 'trying hard'!

rodma

• forum hero
Hi ive recently suffered a spate of finger injuries on both hands, these have appeared out of the blue, ive hade finger injuries before normally bouldering or training. More recently ive pulled/torn/hurt tendons in 3 fingers in the space of 3 months. Its starting to get very fustrating. The last two were climbing trad not anywere near my pysical limit and definatly not pulling that hard.
Its got to the point now were my hands bassicaly feel fucked and incredible fragile/tweaky, to the point were any form stress makes me actually scared that any one finger may suddenly self destruct.
This is definatly a recent problem, earlier this year i was doing full bore mono repeaters on my beastmaker now im blowing fingers up on e2's .im iceing takeing condrotine and useing a metolious ball as therapy so the treatments not and issue, My question more has anyone else experienced these periods were there fingers feel this unstable and what did they do to sort it out as regards getting some confidnce back that there hands not go to self destruct? Oh and any thoughts on what causes it would be good!

Were you already taking chondroitin when you started to get injured, or are you taking it to try and help your fingers recover?

tom84

i take it daily all the time with cod liver Oil

rodma

• forum hero
Sorry, I should have said have you always taken chondroitin?

I took it for a couple of months but it definately made my fingers feel very crunchy

douglas

• obsessive maniac
Are these pulley strains? Dehydration can make me more susceptible to tweaks.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac

I took it for a couple of months but it definately made my fingers feel very crunchy

Do you feel, Glucosamine and /or Chonroitin are detrimental to finger joints? I know there is conflicting evidence as does it help or does it do nothing, but I've not anything about these supplements making things worse? Be interested to know

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
i have the same problem, I have 2 fingers now, when climbing they are ok, but an hour after afinish they just seem to seize up and when I move them i get clicking noises coming from both fingers and ideas guys

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
More wine  :alky:

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
More wine  :alky:

i hate wine, maybe less beer might do the trick

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Drink more water, then it doesn't matter how much beer you drink.  :devangel:

rodma

• forum hero

Do you feel, Glucosamine and /or Chonroitin are detrimental to finger joints? I know there is conflicting evidence as does it help or does it do nothing, but I've not anything about these supplements making things worse? Be interested to know

I found Glucosamine helpful, but chondroitin detrimental. I'm not sure of the reason why and I'm not sure if anyone else has had similar results. I definately ended up with achey knuckles as well as tender tendons and I've never had that combo before taking it or since stopping taking it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal