UKBouldering.com

Wafflings of a Lanky Punter (Read 210798 times)

comPiler

• forum hero
#350 Minty Weather
January 15, 2012, 06:00:05 pm
Minty Weather
15 January 2012, 4:26 pm

Dry days- 6

Days of rain- 9

The Doc and I went to chez Beast yesterday to drop presents off.  It's been cold (frosty) and dry the last few days, grit season has finally arrived.  Today dawned the same, cold and icy. I did the local run 2 minutes quicker than last time.  Need to start upping the distance now.

Source: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter

comPiler

• forum hero
#351 Less crap than last time
January 17, 2012, 12:00:42 am
Less crap than last time
16 January 2012, 7:13 pm

Dry days- 6

Days of rain- 10

I finished work a little late today so didn't have time to make much of another cold and crisp day, so I went back for another Wet Poo session. I was only there an hour as my skin was sore and the place filled up with children and beginners back clipping their way up the lead walls. Today I manged to flash three of the V5s I hadn't tried last time, feeling a little better than last time.  After the hour I was on my way out when I bumped into Weak Sam, so ended up chatting for half an hour.  Interesting projects and links!

comPiler

• forum hero
#352 Two Down
January 18, 2012, 12:00:21 pm
Two Down
18 January 2012, 9:50 am

Today is the one day off that I have this week, and it's pissing down again. Someone is having a laugh.

On the up side I managed to finish Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in my quest to complete the BBC Big Read top 100.  I'd already read a number of these, but a year ago I thought I'd try to expand my mind by reading them all.  In that 12 months I've managed to get through War and Peace, Anna Karenina, Pride and Prejudice, Catch 22 and three Harry Potter books.  Lots more to go at, and one of my aims this yea was to read ten of these.  He's the current position books in bold are ones that I have read:

1. The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien

2. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

3. His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman

4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams

5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling

6. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee

7. Winnie the Pooh, AA Milne

8. Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell

9. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis

10. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë

11. Catch-22, Joseph Heller

12. Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë

13. Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks

14. Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier

15. The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger

16. The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame

17. Great Expectations, Charles Dickens

18. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

19. Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Louis de Bernieres

20. War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy

21. Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell

22. Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone, JK Rowling

23. Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets, JK Rowling

24. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban, JK Rowling

25. The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien

26. Tess Of The D'Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy

27. Middlemarch, George Eliot

28. A Prayer For Owen Meany, John Irving

29. The Grapes Of Wrath, John Steinbeck

30. Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll

31. The Story Of Tracy Beaker, Jacqueline Wilson

32. One Hundred Years Of Solitude, Gabriel García Márquez

33. The Pillars Of The Earth, Ken Follett

34. David Copperfield, Charles Dickens

35. Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl

36. Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson

37. A Town Like Alice, Nevil Shute

38. Persuasion, Jane Austen

39. Dune, Frank Herbert

40. Emma, Jane Austen

41. Anne Of Green Gables, LM Montgomery

42. Watership Down, Richard Adams

43. The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald

44. The Count Of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas

45. Brideshead Revisited, Evelyn Waugh

46. Animal Farm, George Orwell

47. A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens

48. Far From The Madding Crowd, Thomas Hardy

49. Goodnight Mister Tom, Michelle Magorian

50. The Shell Seekers, Rosamunde Pilcher

51. The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett

52. Of Mice And Men, John Steinbeck

53. The Stand, Stephen King

54. Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy

55. A Suitable Boy, Vikram Seth

56. The BFG, Roald Dahl

57. Swallows And Amazons, Arthur Ransome

58. Black Beauty, Anna Sewell

59. Artemis Fowl, Eoin Colfer

60. Crime And Punishment, Fyodor Dostoyevsky

61. Noughts And Crosses, Malorie Blackman

62. Memoirs Of A Geisha, Arthur Golden

63. A Tale Of Two Cities, Charles Dickens

64. The Thorn Birds, Colleen McCollough

65. Mort, Terry Pratchett

66. The Magic Faraway Tree, Enid Blyton

67. The Magus, John Fowles

68. Good Omens, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

69. Guards! Guards!, Terry Pratchett

70. Lord Of The Flies, William Golding

71. Perfume, Patrick Süskind

72. The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, Robert Tressell

73. Night Watch, Terry Pratchett

74. Matilda, Roald Dahl

75. Bridget Jones's Diary, Helen Fielding

76. The Secret History, Donna Tartt

77. The Woman In White, Wilkie Collins

78. Ulysses, James Joyce

79. Bleak House, Charles Dickens

80. Double Act, Jacqueline Wilson

81. The Twits, Roald Dahl

82. I Capture The Castle, Dodie Smith

83. Holes, Louis Sachar

84. Gormenghast, Mervyn Peake

85. The God Of Small Things, Arundhati Roy

86. Vicky Angel, Jacqueline Wilson

87. Brave New World, Aldous Huxley

88. Cold Comfort Farm, Stella Gibbons

89. Magician, Raymond E Feist

90. On The Road, Jack Kerouac

91. The Godfather, Mario Puzo

92. The Clan Of The Cave Bear, Jean M Auel

93. The Colour Of Magic, Terry Pratchett

94. The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho

95. Katherine, Anya Seton

96. Kane And Abel, Jeffrey Archer

97. Love In The Time Of Cholera, Gabriel García Márquez

98. Girls In Love, Jacqueline Wilson

99. The Princess Diaries, Meg Cabot

100. Midnight's Children, Salman Rushdie

Right, back to Harry Potter and the Gobshite of Fire then off for a run.

Duma

• forum hero
#353 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
January 18, 2012, 02:51:51 pm
I think the text formatting has failed somewhere along the line. But can click through easily enough.

Couple of thoughts:
1] This is an odd list, especially if the aim is to expand the mind. What's it supposed to be? Books to read before you die? best (fiction) books ever? I love Pratchett and have no time for Rowling, but niether deserve 5 entries in any list of 100 books.
2] Holes! I love this book, recommended.

Duma

• forum hero
#354 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
January 18, 2012, 03:40:43 pm
Right, looked it up and it's a list of peoples favourite novels, which makes a bit more sense.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#355 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
January 18, 2012, 06:42:31 pm

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#356 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
January 19, 2012, 07:58:38 am
Right, looked it up and it's a list of peoples favourite novels, which makes a bit more sense.

Yes, which means it's a mixed list, thus books I'd never have considered. Having managed to avoid the Potter franchise I was immediately four down!

This is actually a Top 200, although I've read more in the 101-200 section than in the first one hundred.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#357 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
January 20, 2012, 12:08:00 pm
I'm surprised there's no Hemmingway in there? Something like Old man of the sea... Proper Job.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#358 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
January 20, 2012, 12:20:28 pm
That's at Number 173.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#359 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
January 20, 2012, 12:35:02 pm
Ah  :whistle:

Stabbsy

• junky
#360 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
January 20, 2012, 01:10:26 pm

For me, the list lost all credibility when I reached number 31. Maybe it has hidden literary depths, but I'm guessing not.

Duma

• forum hero
#361 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
January 20, 2012, 05:23:01 pm
I fear there was no lower age limit on voting...

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#362 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
January 20, 2012, 05:35:46 pm
But 199 is an absolute classic!!

comPiler

• forum hero
#363 Brief Update
January 25, 2012, 12:00:19 am
Brief Update
24 January 2012, 7:54 pm

Dry days- 8

Days of rain- 16

We seem to have shifted back to wet weather after a few lovely crisp days. I'm off tomorrow but the forecast is gash, so I think I'll start on my Aims for 2012 by walking in the Lakes.

I went to the wall tonight. My skin was very sore, even after five minutes. I did most of the things I've done before, but nothing any harder. I saw Serpico which is always nice. Maybe it's me but i think wet poo is getting busier in the evenings, which doesn't help.

comPiler

• forum hero
#364 PPPPPP
January 26, 2012, 06:00:12 pm
PPPPPP
26 January 2012, 11:34 am

Dry days- 9

Days of rain- 17

Ah yes, Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.  As ably demonsatrated yesterday, by the lack thereof.

The forecast wasn't great, so I had a look at MWIS which also said gales in the Lakes with wet weather and "significant" windchill.  So obviously I opted to go there to walk up some hills.  I settled on Kirkstone Pass, plotting to walk over Red Screes, Middle Dodd, Little Hart Crag and High Hartsopp Dodd- a good way forward to the 10 Wainwrights in 2012 aim.

Lovely day for it:

I arrived at Kirkstone Pass in the pissing rain.  Cloud base was at around 500m (ie not much above the pass) and the cloud was whizzing by at a rate of knotts.  Now, being Summer (?!) I had brought my light waterproofs and forgotten my gloves.  Luckily I had some old motorbike gloves in the car boot.  I stomped up Red Screes pretty quickly, although the path is nicely rocky and had water pouring down it.  This made going interesting as the path was steep and slippery and the wind didn't help.  You'd be unlucky to die from a slip, but you'd certainly be likely to injure yourself enough to be a bit Joe Simpsoned.

The summit of Red Screes appears out of nowhere, or at least it did yesterday since visibility was consistently below 10 metres.  I then headed off towards Middle Dodd.  After five minutes I absent mindedly added my location as a waypoint on the GPS- which later turned out to be fortuitous.

From Middle Dodd, I contoured around to try to get to Scandale Pass.  This proved to be interesting as I couldn't see a thing.  I finally arrived at a wall and a path which I presumed was the path down to the Pass.  I headed down, scrubbing off height, for ten minutes.  Before getting to the col I realised I was cold, and rather wet as the waterproofs and boots were leaking.  I made the executive decision to turn for home, something unusual for a stubborn bugger like me.  So, I turned around and headed up the hill towards red Screes, now needing to walk a kilometer and gain 300m of height.

Where the hill levelled off near the summit, one path went straight on, and another left.  Not wanting to go back to Middle Dodd I went straight on.  I didn't bother looking at the map as the wind and rain was so bad I couldn't be arsed stopping to get it out.  After another 10 minutes of going downhill I realised the wind was in my face and I hadn't come to the craggy path yet.  So I bit the bullet and checked my position.  Needless to say I was half way down Snarker Pike on my way to Ambleside.  Fuck it.

So another about turn and another kilometer and 300m ascent.  I was annoyed now, which diffused the beginnings of a feeling that I couldn't be arsed walking.  Heading towards my waypoint I kept passing small tarns, which all looked the same in a Scooby Doo running scene where the background keeps repeating.  I think the cloud and mist banks were messing with my brain.  I found the correct path and stumbled my way back to the car.  2:30 round trip in some pretty challenging conditions.

Last night we made a Jamie Oliver home made Haggis and drank a dram to Rabbie.  I was so tired I could hardly wait for sleep!!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#365 Re: PPPPPP
January 27, 2012, 09:25:57 am
You'd be unlucky to die from a slip, but you'd certainly be likely to injure yourself enough to be a bit Joe Simpsoned.

Never heard of an injury turning someone into a knob before.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#366 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
January 27, 2012, 01:46:55 pm

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#367 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
January 27, 2012, 02:00:35 pm
Amusingly, the Kirkstone Pass has subsequently been closed due to snow and ice.

comPiler

• forum hero
#368 Parhelion
January 30, 2012, 12:00:28 am
Parhelion
29 January 2012, 5:50 pm

Dry days- 11

Days of rain- 18

Yesterday I had a spare hour so went to Duxon Hill Quarry for a look at R-Man's new thing, Shed Seven.  It was late on and the Sun was low and I was treated to a good clear Sun Dog, shimmering rainbow colours at the level of the Sun but no real ring.  Stunning nonetheless.  As I wandered to the rocks I managed to startle a deer, so a day of seeing things that should be appreciated.

I managed all the moves bar one on Shed Seven, despite it being quite wet.  Damn, the holds are sharp and my skin was battered.  I may head back when there's been a dry spell, good problem.

R-Man on the FA:

comPiler

• forum hero
#369 Siberian Cold Snap
February 03, 2012, 06:00:14 pm
Siberian Cold Snap
3 February 2012, 10:03 am

Dry days- 16

Days of rain- 18

Apparently the cold air from Siberia is why it is so damned cold here this week.  Cold, but dry.  On Wednesday I had a couple of hours in Silverdale.  I went to WoR initially, which was a mistake as most of it was seeping and it was in the shade.  ie cold.  I was desperately trying to get warmed up on Deal In Pain, when Weak Sam pottered along having seen my car parked up.  We had a chat and I failed to do much more, then opted to move over to Trowbarrow.

The Shelterstone was in the sun but everything felt very hard in my current state of weakness.  I had a look at Mojo, getting close but losing skin, then went to Red Wall.  This was also in the shade and very cold. I did most of the easier stuff, then wandered home.  R-man texted me asking if I was out in the quarries, sounds like he managed to tick a few more projects.

comPiler

• forum hero
#370 Positivity
February 07, 2012, 12:00:42 am
Positivity
6 February 2012, 8:29 pm

Dry days- 18

Days of rain- 19

Last night I went to Wet Pooh, and had quite a good session.  I finally managed a V6, one I've not tried before.  I did the moves quickly, then managed it first link, quite pleasing.  I did a couple of hours getting sore skin, then headed home.

Tonight I went for a run.  It's been a funny day of mist and fog, mixed in with glorious blue skies and sun.  I went around the local 2 mile loop, going at rest pace.  I held a steady ten minute mile pace, feeling good.  I would have carried on but after 6 1/2 miles it was dark and foggy and I skept falling in potholes, so I came home.  Reassuring though, since I've just realised its not long until the marathon.

comPiler

• forum hero
#371 BirthdayBeast
February 09, 2012, 12:00:26 am
BirthdayBeast
8 February 2012, 9:43 pm

Dry days- 20

Days of rain- 19

This morning was cold.  The Doc was out earlyish so I took the opportunity to head out too.  It was minus two when I set off to Brimham for a look at the outlying areas.  BeardyBirthdayBeast and I had previously looked for crimpy roof but failed to find it.  Today I parked up in the layby along the road and had a wander.  I managed to stumble across Harvey after wandering around in the snow.  This gave me a bearing and I then manged to find crimpy roof.  This looked neat but, erm, crimpy.  After this was Dolphin Nose.  This had a couple of easier things to do and was the obvious warm up spot.

After going back to the car to get the mats, I headed to Dolphin Nose.  I did Dolphin Nose after a couple of goes, then did the low start fairly easily.  This is labelled as the Big Green in the Total Climbing guide, and given 7a.  It felt more like 6c today, and after looking at YG.com The Big Green seems to be a direct line right of Dolphin Nose. This involved one big move to the pocket which I found very hard to catch.  I only held this twice. The first time was from a high start where I got three fingers in.  The next time was for a low start (I am a little confused as to exactly what's in and out on this problem) I latched the pocket with two fingers to the first pad.  Determined not to fuck up, I managed to "style" to victory.

After this I flashed the low traverse- I have to agree with Moose about ths being a Dwarf's revenge.  Ouch.

Video to follow............

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#372 Re: Wafflings of a Lanky Punter
February 09, 2012, 07:05:35 am
The Power of Lanking.

comPiler

• forum hero
#373 Lazy Day
February 12, 2012, 12:00:11 am
Lazy Day
11 February 2012, 9:24 pm

Dry days- 21

Days of rain- 21

The Doc and I went for a wander up Rivington Pike and Winter Hill today, followed by pub lunch.  Lovely frozen conditions with exciting ice formations, frozen grass etc.  Tonight we went to see The Woman In Black, which I enjoyed- suspenseful and well made.

comPiler

• forum hero
#374 Running!
February 13, 2012, 12:00:08 am
Running!
12 February 2012, 7:29 pm

Dry days- 21

Days of rain- 22

This morning we went to watch Doc Jnrs do the Crazy Pups one mile race at Southport. It was cold, but they performed admirably. Doc Jnr 1 managed a decent 9:30 whilst Doc Jnr 2 streaked away with an eight minute mile. Good effort to both.

This afternoon I felt guilty so went for a run. I managed 12.3 miles in 2 hours and 8 minutes, although some of the hills felt more tricky. Still, 9 weeks to go until the Manchester race. Fab.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal