UKBouldering.com

Mass Overdose (Read 73394 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#150 Re: Mass Overdose
January 25, 2010, 02:07:53 pm
Great article in Wired on placebo's a few months ago...
http://www.wired.com/medtech/drugs/magazine/17-09/ff_placebo_effect?currentPage=all
The gist of it is big pharma has always tested drugs effect using placebo's as the base line comparison, eg. drug 'v' placebo, now some scientists are doing trials trying to harness the power of placebo...or something like that, good article in Wired's very readable but not too dumbed down style.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#151 Re: Mass Overdose
January 25, 2010, 03:26:06 pm
Whats the school of thought on here from the medically astute when it comes to the herbal supplement/product Rhodiola Rosea.
I've tried some, over short and long periods, but interested to know what you guys think of it, and the results/evidence surrounding it at the moment.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#152 Re: Mass Overdose
January 25, 2010, 03:31:15 pm
Whats the school of thought on here from the medically astute when it comes to the herbal supplement/product Rhodiola Rosea.
I've tried some, over short and long periods, but interested to know what you guys think of it, and the results/evidence surrounding it at the moment.

Never heard of it, so no opinion, but if its herbal as opposed to homeopathic then it will likely have some active ingredient in it.

As to what that is, its mode of action and effectiveness (if any and how big an effect), I'd start with Wikipedia and investigate the citations there, then move onto a wider literature search (you'll find you can get some of the papers in PDF for free).

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#153 Re: Mass Overdose
January 25, 2010, 04:14:24 pm

Never heard of it, so no opinion, but if its herbal as opposed to homeopathic then it will likely have some active ingredient in it.

As to what that is, its mode of action and effectiveness (if any and how big an effect), I'd start with Wikipedia and investigate the citations there, then move onto a wider literature search (you'll find you can get some of the papers in PDF for free).

Scholar google, that is awesome, I never even knew this "alternate google" existed!
Then again I never went to uni haha, i've been very impressed with results from the supplement in the past, i've used it alongside other supplements as part of a supplement regime during powerlifting routines, thinking of incoporating it into my climbing as it really seems to help with extreme anaerobic effort, and anything requiring max effort, as it seems to reduce the strain on your nervous system, which gave me a percieved ability to mentally recover more quickly from such situations as maxing out on my deadlift/squat/bench etc.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#154 Re: Mass Overdose
January 25, 2010, 04:35:54 pm
Scholar google, that is awesome, I never even knew this "alternate google" existed!

There are lots of topic specific (e.g. Linux Mac [ url=http://www.google.com/bsd]BSD[/url] M$-Windows) searches and other tools such as Blog Search listed in the More Google Products (also check out the Labs for upcoming developments).

You can also use Google to search a specific domain such as ukbouldering.com by entering 'site:ukbouldering.com' at the end of your search term.  For example to search UKBouldering using Google for the term 'homeopathy' you would type...

Code: [Select]
homeopathy site:ukbouldering.com

Searching UKB this way is actually easier and returns more pertinent hits than the built-in search.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#155 Re: Mass Overdose
January 28, 2010, 02:50:28 pm
A collection of papers on the memory of water which supposedly underpins the principle of homeopathy.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#156 Re: Mass Overdose
January 29, 2010, 03:47:17 pm

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#157 Re: Mass Overdose
January 29, 2010, 04:03:35 pm
Nailed.

http://www.b3ta.com/board/9863286

:lol:

What I find strange about the whole proposed mechanism of water having memory is that well, those water molecules will have been in contact with lots of other things over their time, why don't they have a memory of all of the things that they've been in contact with?

dave

#158 Re: Mass Overdose
January 29, 2010, 04:08:14 pm
Basically if water had a memory then drinking even a bottle of evian would kill you. Remember the old saying that every glass of water in the world has already been drunk 30 times or whatever that made-up statistic is.

Shit,  I've just realised why evian doesn't kill you - cos its not been spanked with a leather dildo.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#159 Re: Mass Overdose
January 29, 2010, 04:17:03 pm
What if just one of the molecules in me at the moment was once in Godskin and pressed out in a bead of sweat from his brow when he was at full crushing power, and it could remember that. Wonder if it would give me unimaginable strength? or even diluted down by my own punterery I would still be able to pull down hard for a little while, until I too sweated it out.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#160 Re: Mass Overdose
January 29, 2010, 04:29:42 pm
Basically if water had a memory then drinking even a bottle of evian would kill you. Remember the old saying that every glass of water in the world has
already been drunk 30 times or whatever that made-up statistic is.

I believe it's 32 times  :P

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#161 Re: Mass Overdose
January 30, 2010, 04:49:50 pm
Basically if water had a memory then drinking even a bottle of evian would kill you. Remember the old saying that every glass of water in the world has already been drunk 30 times or whatever that made-up statistic is.

Shit,  I've just realised why evian doesn't kill you - cos its not been spanked with a leather dildo.

On a completely non-scientific note, I got hit round the face by a big dildo at a house party once, years ago.....it didn't kill me but it did take me by surprise.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#162 Re: Mass Overdose
January 30, 2010, 11:10:10 pm

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#163 Re: Mass Overdose
January 31, 2010, 10:37:58 am
This is a brilliant idea (IMO)...

Homeopathy Theres Nothing in It : The 10:23 Mass Overdose Event

12 hours in and no deaths yet...

:o  Thats shocking!  Such powerful and potent "medical" treatments must surely have some adverse effect when taken in such large quantities?  :-\

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#164 Re: Mass Overdose
February 07, 2010, 01:42:11 pm

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#165 Re: Mass Overdose
February 07, 2010, 08:47:06 pm
Basically if water had a memory then drinking even a bottle of evian would kill you. Remember the old saying that every glass of water in the world has
already been drunk 30 times or whatever that made-up statistic is.

I believe it's 32 times  :P

Did you know 74.6% of statistics are made up?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#168 Re: Mass Overdose
February 22, 2010, 01:59:18 pm
Yep. Or as Viz Top Tips put it:

HOMEOPATHS. Save money on petrol by filling up at the water pump. Your car will remember the petrol from your previous fill.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#169 Re: Mass Overdose
February 23, 2010, 05:38:36 pm
Mash hits nail firmly on head again.

The report could see government funding into the not-treatment being stripped back to £1 as according to homeopathic theory it will have the same effect as giving them £100 million.

Practitioners will apply for one penny of the new budget and then be advised to shake it vigorously in their bank account.

Committee member, Denys Finch-Hatton, said: "Their account will 'remember' the millions we used to give them and they can then try to buy new clinics by telling the builders about all the money that used to be there."

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#170 Re: Mass Overdose
February 23, 2010, 06:20:52 pm

The report could see government funding into the not-treatment being stripped back to £1 as according to homeopathic theory it will have the same effect as giving them £100 million.

Practitioners will apply for one penny of the new budget and then be advised to shake it vigorously in their bank account.

Committee member, Denys Finch-Hatton, said: "Their account will 'remember' the millions we used to give them and they can then try to buy new clinics by telling the builders about all the money that used to be there."

Brilliant  :lol:

drdeath

• player
#171 Re: Mass Overdose
February 23, 2010, 06:41:27 pm
I prefer the, as ever glorious, Viz Top-Tip...

HOMEOPATHS. Save money on petrol by filling up at the water pump. Your car will remember the petrol from your previous fill
D

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#172 Re: Mass Overdose
February 23, 2010, 07:22:34 pm

Hat truly and firmly doffed.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#173 Re: Mass Overdose
February 24, 2010, 09:11:28 am

HOMEOPATHS. Save money on petrol by filling up at the water pump. Your car will remember the petrol from your previous fill
D

The one I posted on the last page of this thread you mean?  ;)

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#174 Re: Mass Overdose
February 24, 2010, 09:13:29 am

D

The one I posted on the last page of this thread you mean?  ;)
Yeah but no one reads what you post Jas :kiss2:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal