UKBouldering.com

Any Bouldering in Barbados (Read 6581 times)

Canary M Burns

• Shatner's Bassoon Engineer
Any Bouldering in Barbados
December 27, 2009, 10:27:40 pm
Hello. New person alert!

I had to join up to search the forum for any info on Barbados bouldering venues, no joy though?

Anyone heard, read in a magazine, seen on telly anything that looked promising?

At the mo its looking like rock rings in the suitcase and an irrate hotel manager moaning about pull up bar marks in a doorway.....

cheers anyway

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1 Re: Any Bouldering in Barbados
December 28, 2009, 09:12:54 am
There are some big limestone boulders in the bays at Bathsheba (where the Soupbowl and Parlours surf spots are) and Cattlewash that I and several other visitors have climbed on, there is one good boulder on the beach with a steep overhanging face with probems up to V4'ish but it's very humid though.  There are some exciting looking but disapointing Crag X style waves of limestone up in the centre of the island but there are really really cumbly and covered in vegetation.

Go surfing instead! Barbados is a brilliant Winter surf destination. Hire a board and get some lessons through Zed or Melanie Byrne as there are some lovely beginners spots as well as the more challenging waves like Soup Bowl.  The snorkelling is good too and there's nowt wrong with sitting on the beach with a good book and a cold Banks.

Have fun, me and the Mrs have been five times and loved every minute of out trips (I surf)

rich d

• forum hero
#2 Re: Any Bouldering in Barbados
December 28, 2009, 10:46:17 am
As has just been said there's a bit at bathseba - but it's pretty rubbish. There loads of rock on the island but it's all pretty crumbly and usually vegetated. When the snorkling is so so good, and the surfing is not bad bouldering on choss isn't what I'd be doing. Where abouts are you staying?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#3 Re: Any Bouldering in Barbados
December 29, 2009, 02:41:50 pm
This beta is 32 years out of date, but I used to climb around in a cave on the east coast when I was a kid - probably at Bashsheba and possibly here
http://www.concierge.com/travelguide/barbados/photos/photoview/-1035944

I also used to climb on some rocks near Sam Lord's Castle (Bottom Bay/Cave Bay)

these are Bottom Bay

Canary M Burns

#4 Re: Any Bouldering in Barbados
December 29, 2009, 05:03:25 pm
When the snorkling is so so good, and the surfing is not bad bouldering on choss isn't what I'd be doing. Where abouts are you staying?

Northern End of the Island i think. (The wife's booked it)
I will definatly be taking some surfing lessons

Canary M Burns

#5 Re: Any Bouldering in Barbados
December 29, 2009, 05:07:05 pm
This beta is 32 years out of date, but I used to climb around in a cave on the east coast when I was a kid - probably at Bashsheba and possibly here

Nice one, I'll check those places out.

Thanks for the help guys  :)

Canary M Burns

#6 Re: Any Bouldering in Barbados
April 30, 2010, 08:59:54 am
Thought I'd check back in and report my findings.

Plenty of stuff to play on round Bathsheba. Some very interesting cuttings in the north at Six Mens which is just to the north of speightstown. (the road from six mens that goes to main highway) Was similar to stoney middleton. Polished shiney limestone.

That was pretty much it apart from other cuttings which are imidiate roadside, and you don't want to stand there when a yellow bus is nearby!!!

So i reckon if you really need a fix, go to southern end of bathsheba beach, have a play about, then grab a bottle opf banks and a plate of macaroni pie as your warm down.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal