UKBouldering.com

Decent Joomla tutorials / how to's? (Read 1971 times)

underground

• forum hero
Decent Joomla tutorials / how to's?
December 16, 2009, 10:12:23 pm
Anyone know of a good source of the above? I've decided to set up a joomla site but I'm no web developer - so i really need an idiot's guide to configuring a site through the admin function - it doesn't need to be complex, in fact simple is good - the main things i need are a few different sections accessed from a menu on the front page, some images or embedded flickr slideshow, and maybe some embedded youtube vids, plus a contact us page.

Drewski Rootbitch

• addict
#1 Re: Decent Joomla tutorials / how to's?
December 17, 2009, 08:24:18 am
Just spent the last year or so putting together a Joomla site, with a WAMPserver.
it has most of what you want, all learnt the hard way.
My coding was basic.
But very good to use now it's up and running.
Getting it set up initially was tricky, but with simple solutions in hindsight.
Had some real sticking points, but worked it out eventually.
Don't get to the point where you're banging your head against a wall,
anything you need, (even if it seems like an obvious question) feel free to call / email. :)
(Link to site under avatar).
Drew

underground

• forum hero
#2 Re: Decent Joomla tutorials / how to's?
December 17, 2009, 11:24:10 pm
ooh bloody hell, a year? in my case the site is up and running on my webserver, just needs to have the right menus / articles etc, and look nice.

Am I off on the wrong tack in assuming it's really easy to configure Joomla without writing actual code?

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#3 Re: Decent Joomla tutorials / how to's?
December 18, 2009, 12:35:50 am
Theres always this?. As for joomla tutorials theres the cryptically named joomlatutorials.com - not sure if theyre any good.

Drewski Rootbitch

• addict
#4 Re: Decent Joomla tutorials / how to's?
December 18, 2009, 09:24:50 am
Hey.
Just read back my post and it's a bit misleading.
The site is constantly growing, hence the year, but it was up and running immediately.
The menus and stuff is pretty basic and no coding is needed (in theory), but I still use it quite a bit as many changes need the 'WYSIWYG editor' turning off and whilst you make those changes, then turning back on again.
Great system, really happy with the useablity.
But for me the online Joomla tutorials sometimes weren't always clear enough, and at the start, I'd insert modules/plugins and not be able to work out how to use them correctly.
D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal