Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Surfing on the mobile
October 02, 2009, 09:53:31 am
Is there good beta on using your mobile on t'interweb?
for example I've discovered that ebay and google do a simplified version of their web pages for use on mobiles.
Is there a simplified version of this forum or do you view it with rss feed? how do these work? can you post with rss?
Any other tips for other common usage websites and surfing in general on a vga screened mobile
Ta

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Surfing on the mobile
October 02, 2009, 10:45:29 am
Is there good beta on using your mobile on t'interweb?
for example I've discovered that ebay and google do a simplified version of their web pages for use on mobiles.
Is there a simplified version of this forum or do you view it with rss feed? how do these work? can you post with rss?
Any other tips for other common usage websites and surfing in general on a vga screened mobile
Ta

Yes there is an mobile version of this site point you're browser at http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?mobile

Its because Bubba has set the site up to have this though.

You'll find that some sites such as Google and eBay (and El Reg) for example have been very considerate and have included in their site a method of detecting what browser you're using and allowing this to define the CSS that is applied to the site.

Not sure what phone you're on, but I'm really enjoying Opera Mini 5.2 Beta which brings tabbed browsing to a mobile browser and has a funky home page (the only draw back so far is that it doesn't seem to use predictive text of the phone).  Still waiting for Fennec (Mozilla's mobile browser) to get going on the Symbian S60 platform.

You'll also find that if you do a search on Google and click through the link Google should reformat the page for you, breaking it up so it can be viewed in small chunks, this can be handy but also a pain in the arse (although there is a link at the bottom to "View full HTML page" or such like).  :devangel:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Surfing on the mobile
October 02, 2009, 12:08:07 pm
Luckily this forum works pretty well on mobile devices - the forum software will auto-detect your resolution and adjust accordingly.

I've not used RSS since the upgrade - probably not necessary for here but for some sites that don't have a moble version then RSS can be a winner....and no you can't reply via RSS, it's read only.

A lot of big sites provide a mobile friendly version which is nice, eg:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/index.html
http://m.guardian.co.uk/
http://m.theregister.co.uk/
http://en.m.wikipedia.com/
http://m.reddit.com/
http://m.facebook.com/
http://m.twitter.com

(as you will notice, it's often worth trying the "m." prefix)

Regarding browsers, I've found the latest Symbian S60v5 browser pretty good. A Slacks says Opera Mini 5 beta is great but runs very slowly on my Samsung - the final should be excellent though not sure about the built in virtual keyboard.
Another one to look for Symbian is Digia @Web

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#3 Re: Surfing on the mobile
October 02, 2009, 12:52:03 pm
nice one.
Been using opera mobile 9.7 beta for a while now and its pretty good.
using htc diamond vga screen windows mobile 6.5
will check out the mozilla mobile browser

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Surfing on the mobile
October 02, 2009, 12:57:33 pm

Sorry, meant to include a link

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Surfing on the mobile
October 05, 2009, 10:22:24 am
Just get with the program and get yourself an Iphone Jim..
no need for all this re-formatted pages blah blah..  ;)
(and Houdini - it does work  ;) )

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Surfing on the mobile
October 05, 2009, 11:36:33 am

How do you mean "no need" for re-formatted pages? Does it automatically reformat a page to the phone display size?

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Surfing on the mobile
October 05, 2009, 11:43:12 am

How do you mean "no need" for re-formatted pages? Does it automatically reformat a page to the phone display size?

I was being a bit cheeky above,  :-[ but yes, it does.
EG the BBC or Grauniad page it squeezes it all into the width of the display (portrait or landscape) then you scroll/zoom your way around it. Its actually really easy/effective. Its a little stodgy on the 3g (but fine) and great on the Wifi. The only downside is flash not working (if you consider that a downside) anything youtube embedded works, as when you click it starts up the youtube app and takes you to the vid.

UKB is surprisingly readable without zooming in landscape. Its a bit of a pisser writing replies as the emoticons seem to take ages to load up each time (and no keyboard) but aside from that fine.

I'm on the verge of playing around with writing some iphone apps, and was considering cutting my teeth on trying to write one to read UKB posts... though its probably much more of an idea than a plan....

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#9 Re: Surfing on the mobile
October 05, 2009, 11:53:34 am
What program?
By the looks of things that are happening at o2 looks like I'll have to get an iPhone when I upgrade next....

only to flog it and buy myself a decent phone

I don't need to reformat pages, It just makes it easier.
Like you say, loading the smilies takes ages, could do with a text only version that some forums have

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Re: Surfing on the mobile
October 05, 2009, 12:06:30 pm
EG the BBC or Grauniad page it squeezes it all into the width of the display (portrait or landscape) then you scroll/zoom your way around it.
The standard browsers all do this (or a version of it) They load the whole page then you scroll/zoom around it. The point of using mobile optimized pages is so that there's no need to scroll/zoom and also they keep the bandwidth down by automatically cutting out ads and other junk. Makes the whole process faster and easier.

UKB is surprisingly readable without zooming in landscape.
That's because the server detects your screen size and serves up a different "mobile friendly" stylesheet. Not all sites do this though.

I'm on the verge of playing around with writing some iphone apps, and was considering cutting my teeth on trying to write one to read UKB posts
I'd just use RSS if you purely want to read posts.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Re: Surfing on the mobile
October 06, 2009, 08:06:59 pm

This is really handy for mobile browsing

Google Mobilizer

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#12 Re: Surfing on the mobile
December 08, 2009, 08:31:33 am
I noticed the wap2 link on the bottom of the page the other day,
seems pretty good apart from it needs 'show unread posts since last visit' and to ddisplay more than 2 posts per page.
Is this possible?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: Surfing on the mobile
December 08, 2009, 08:42:13 am
seems pretty good apart from it needs 'show unread posts since last visit' and to ddisplay more than 2 posts per page.
Is this possible?

The "unread posts" link third from the bottom of the page does the first one.  I get about six or seven thread topics per page on the N95  :shrug:

clm

• forum hero
#14 Re: Surfing on the mobile
December 08, 2009, 05:23:34 pm
my nokia 5800 just works like normal tinterweb. Just makes things fit the screen and lets you choose between phone and full sites. I dont know what im talking about.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#15 Re: Surfing on the mobile
December 08, 2009, 08:58:35 pm
no you don't.
most phone internet browsers work like this, if you use the wap2 link then you only get a simplified version of the site with no images, smilies etc... making it quicker to load and cheaper to view (if your stupid enough to be browsing the interweb on your mobile without a prepaid internet addon).
speaking of which, have you got an internet tarriff yet?

clm

• forum hero
#16 Re: Surfing on the mobile
December 08, 2009, 10:19:01 pm
yes

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#17 Re: Surfing on the mobile
December 08, 2009, 10:20:49 pm
bout time

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#18 Re: Surfing on the mobile
December 15, 2009, 07:19:44 am
Is this possible?

The "unread posts" link third from the bottom of the page does the first one.  I get about six or seven thread topics per page on the N95  :shrug:
I get 5 posts per page. Any chance of doubling that to 10? and any chance of having the unread posts link at the bottom of every page?
Ta

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#19 Re: Surfing on the mobile
December 15, 2009, 10:24:24 am

We'll have to see what the next forum update brings - it's ready but i've not a had a chance to install it yet.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#20 Re: Surfing on the mobile
December 17, 2009, 10:39:41 am

Sorry, meant to include a link

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/354205/mozilla-firefox-mobile-will-kill-off-app-stores

Mozilla is releasing the first version of Firefox Mobile (codenamed Fennec) on Nokia's N900 handset, with versions for Windows Mobile and Android set to arrive next year.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal