UKBouldering.com

Illegal use of Houndkirk Right Of Way by Vehicles (Read 200559 times)

cofe

• forum hero
eh? which bit - the bit off ringinglow along top of plantation or the bit off sheephill road?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Sheep hill rd.. Tarmac then smooth hard pack as far as I could see..!

fatkid2000

• junky
The smooth hard pack goes on for around 400m, up towards the first gate. The drainage channel that is also being dug extends on an extra 10m or so. I suspect the council isn't finished.

Why don't they spend some money on the shit potholed roads rather than flatten all the local trails?
The hard pack is smoother than most roads around Sheffield - you could happily pedal a road bike up it!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
F*ck this.

Either the peak park give a hill up ( yeah, right)

Or we tweek our favourite trails...

I also suggest getting a bike with big brakes and a bit of extra travel and gettin out to  Greno... I sobbed with fear today, terrifying!!

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
Apparently, PC Tim Cross from Meersbrook police station spent most of his week monitoring 4x4 use of Houndkirk, sitting up at the summit of Houndkirk with only a flask and a waterproof for comfort.  If you see him up there any time, chat to him, he's a good egg and deserves our support.

jh

cofe

• forum hero
that sounds like a shit job, but enforcement is the only way they'll get the message.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
that sounds like a shit job, but enforcement is the only way they'll get the message.

He's a cheerful soul is Tim and he loves a chat.............

dave

Don't we all, its a quality starter. But what his main course of choice in an indian restaurant? Thats the real test of character.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive

Don't know about main course, but I've heard he's got a police dog called lassi...........

Don't we all, its a quality starter. But what his main course of choice in an indian restaurant? Thats the real test of character.

spinsmall

Calm it down! - I don't care if this results in a lynching WE ARE NOT ALL THE SAME

Ok i am a regular climber walker & cyclist & 4x4 user - I love it outside in any way shape or form. Dont go taring all 4x4 users with the same brush though! Some of us DO stay to the legal paths & tracks ( of which there are less & less due to this witch-hunting )  myself and my mate that i go with allways pull over & let any other traffic/ walkers / cyclists past without disturbance & I do indeed also hate the sadly growing majority of other 4x4 & dirtbikers that go out churning up the countryside & give us all a bad name. I agree the shite thats gone off on the summit of houndkirk is indeed shocking and the best way of stopping that is putting some kind of fencing/concrete ditching in to prevent access to these specific areas and i will be happy to see this installed as it would probably stop the tossers spoiling it for everyone. THIS KIND OF ILEGAL OFFORADING IS NOT DONE BY EVERY VEHICLE THOUGH!!  I have spent countless hours rebuilding my old landy from a rusty mess, the very last thing i am going to do is thrash the living daylights out of it and get stuck in some sticky churned up hole thats badly rutted by some nobs who cant drive for shite.  Frankly if i cant do it on a mountain bike I wont even dream of complicating matters with another 2 wheels. I do agree with this thread & will not make excuses for the motorised community that damage the environment as it only makes life harder for us legitimate users & will probably end up with many good tracks been downgraded to bridleways ( saying that it will probably benefit my health as the pedal bike will come out more often... but how long will bit be before bikes are outlawed for churning up the bridleways )

yes we should do something about ILLEGAL use but do not assume all motorists are there to do bad

incidentally if you ever see me out on the moors i will be in the old land rover that's stationary waiting for you to pass by safely!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
brave post.

point taken... with a strong exception to the proposed solution for houndkirk to build concrete / fencing...

not appropriate I would have thought.

eviseration more likely to work.

spinsmall

well yes concreted ditches would look horrible but they  would be effective  I am sure the peak park must know of some other form of barrier  The main problem i see with the current restrictions is people removing these obstacles/signage & barriers & carrying on regardless

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Spinsmall, be interested in what you think about other sites, Stanage Causeway for example?

spinsmall

well stanage causeway is another great example of people going off track & doing damage in places they should not go and giving us all a bad name ( classic example been the damage to the SSSI recently )  personally i only ever go down there on foot or pushbike as the track itself is a bit too rocky for my driving & recovery ability. If users did not go off piste & "play" in the mud in the surrounding areas then there would be no trouble... sadly they do though

was thinking about this subject this afternoon & i wonder if some form of extra driving licence could be used... most responsible 4x4 drivers are a member of GLASS http://www.glass-uk.org/  or similar organisation & abide by their codes of practice.  it would not be too much more to extend this to making membership & training in these codes of practice compulsory - maybe introduce a new class to the driving license to permit off road use.  Something has to be done to stop the rot or a large group of legitimate land users are going to fall victim to the "banning" culture this country has

on the other hand i do not have a clue how such a system can be policed

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
Nice to see a 4x4 fan making some viable suggestions, good on ya.  As for the summit of Houndkirk, the Natural England plan, should it ever happen, is indeed to fence off the area on a short term basis and carry out remedial work on the damaged area.  Of course this is fraught with difficulties - the temprtation for less reputable 4x4 drivers will be to drive straight through the fence while it's there and to go back onto the summit once it's repaired.

Don't know what the answer is to that though, over to you.............

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Today I saw about 15 cvnts looking at trying to get through the pedestrian gate that's about 600m along Sheephill Road (from the sheffield - castleton road) having driven down the footpath! Only the fact that someone had parked in the layby  probably prevented them from trying to get onto the road.

Sadly I didn't have a camera or pen & paper but I did call it through to S Y Police who did send someone out, albeit after they'd all left the area.

I was only able to get one registration mark, but it shows, if you can call it in they will respond.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Just biked over Houndkirk, four 4x4's were up there, two of which were on the moor, one of which was fully stuck. Couldn't get close enough to see number plates but reported to a colleague of Tim Cross as soon as I had phone signal. Apparently SY police were too busy policing the town arresting people who aren't even drunk yet so were unable to send someone out to catch these CVNTs red-handed.  :wall:

Also some one in a 4x4 had kindly flytipped a load of junk right on the track half way along the track. Can't actually believe this is the easiest place to dump a load of old carpet, kids toys etc, have these people not heard of these clever places called 'tips'?!  :furious: :furious: Must have been today as it had no snow on it.

Right must calm down now, time to get drunk and kick off if only to give the police an excuse to roam the streets rather than catch someone actually committing a crime.

dave

Another roll of fly-tipped carpet in the layby at the burbage north end of the houndkirk track today. Someone needs to get medieval on these cunts.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
There's a load of carpet bits around at the moment - another pair of biggun's in the layby on Ringinlow road next to Lady Cannings plantation. I think people are driving off the road into the snow to park and go for a walk/go sledging, then using the carpet under their tyres to get back onto the road afterwards. Maybe they think they are doing everybody a favour by leaving their shit around the place?

It wasn't even a nice pattern.....

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
If it's a good quality wool Axminster or similar it will have biodegraded in a couple of decades.   :wank:

dave

There's a load of carpet bits around at the moment - another pair of biggun's in the layby on Ringinlow road next to Lady Cannings plantation.

yeah, hence the expression:

Another roll of fly-tipped carpet in the layby at the burbage north end of the houndkirk track today.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
went for a head torch run round burbage after seeing johnny brown's impressive pics. from fox house, waded to green lane - jogged along that ok to burbage north (well i presume it was there under the snow somewhere), waded on the ringinglow road to trees near houndkirk - vehicle tracks had got as far as here on the road then stopped (hadn't accessed houndkirk itself. we had good running conditions on houndkirk and met some night riders in a deeper bit near the brow as we headed on the bridle way back towards fox house.

anyway was quite gratifying to see 3 4x4's stuck in the snow - someone appears to have written HA HA! in the snow on the bonnets   :whistle:  although it will prob have melted by the time they get em out.

ALSO has anyone seen the awesome igloo on the moor near fox house - its well cool - you can crawl in and stand up inside

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
went for a head torch run round burbage after seeing johnny brown's impressive pics. from fox house, waded to green lane - jogged along that ok to burbage north (well i presume it was there under the snow somewhere), waded on the ringinglow road to trees near houndkirk - vehicle tracks had got as far as here on the road then stopped (hadn't accessed houndkirk itself. we had good running conditions on houndkirk and met some night riders in a deeper bit near the brow as we headed on the bridle way back towards fox house.

anyway was quite gratifying to see 3 4x4's stuck in the snow - someone appears to have written HA HA! in the snow on the bonnets   :whistle:  although it will prob have melted by the time they get em out.

ALSO has anyone seen the awesome igloo on the moor near fox house - its well cool - you can crawl in and stand up inside

Hope you got their registrations and reported them?

dave

someone should go up and slash their tyres, put sugar in the fuel tanks etc. not that I would condone that kind of behaviour of course.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
Slackers - as far as i could tell with all the snow they were on the track (rather than off piste so to speak) so i didn't bother burrowing down to the number pplates (plus i didn't have a pen/phone)

They were about here:
http://www.multimap.com/s/NG3WqWdC

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal