UKBouldering.com

Good First Mountain Bike Trails / Downhill (Read 8187 times)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog

LL55

• player
  • Shelly Hocknell is weapon
Right Mr. Lincoln....

Saracen.... steer clear, heavy, not refined, you can do better.

Specialized FSR.... i'd say more of an XC full susser than a downhill bike

Rock Springs.... i have a Rift zone, fcuking awesome bike, very similar, mine's a bit lighter though, with a better spec.

The three bikes you've listed are all very different, what are you after? What riding do you want to do? where and for how long? I should be able to point you in the right direction then.  

Also... as a cheap first full susser, you can't go much wrong with a Giant Trance 3 at $600... http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p1291

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Its going to be for riding trails, bit of downhilling. So a good comfy all rounder i think.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Adam, how much cash have you?

second hand *trail* bike would suit you.... it used to be called XC but now most 5 to 6 inch full sussers get labelled *all mountain* or *trail*, it's all bollox... you need 3 rings at the front, disc brakes and then the rest is all pontification / personal finances..

look for (in no order)

orange 5, spesh enduro - or FSR XC, giant reign - or trance, some more recent marins, even a santa cruz bullett, old giant VT, kona coiler - or coil air

dont get too tied up by suspension differences etc... if you'r new to the sport / just getting back into it you'll not notice - all bikes have come on a bit!!

squeek

• junky
second hand *trail* bike would suit you.... it used to be called XC but now most 5 to 6 inch full sussers get labelled *all mountain* or *trail*, it's all bollox... you need 3 rings at the front,

Did 4 of the 7 stanes routes this weekend (Mabie, Dalbeattie, Kiroughtree and Ae) and didn't get out of the middle chain ring once, and didn't push it up any hills, so I'm not sure you even need 3 rings at the front.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
oh God, another roadie turned mtb'er.

Don't pedal so hard then you get to use more gears and get better value for your financial outlay

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Did 4 of the 7 stanes routes this weekend (Mabie, Dalbeattie, Kiroughtree and Ae) and didn't get out of the middle chain ring once, and didn't push it up any hills, so I'm not sure you even need 3 rings at the front.

;) Perhaps do something harder?

I'm guessing you're not talking about Mabie Darkside - that would have got you onto the small ring.

squeek

• junky

;) Perhaps do something harder?

I'm guessing you're not talking about Mabie Darkside - that would have got you onto the small ring.

Doubt I would have got very far on that, although I nearly got to the end of the northshore track on the 4X course at Mabie, but the darkside would have been too hard for me.  Bottled the slab at dalbeattie too.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
oh God, another roadie turned mtb'er.

Don't pedal so hard then you get to use more gears and get better value for your financial outlay

:lol:

good for knees too..

fatkid2000

• junky
I am still wanting to know what the inner / granny ring is for - am I missing something????

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I am still wanting to know what the inner / granny ring is for - am I missing something????

Norton Sharley

• forum hero

Keep pedalling, stop walking.  :guilty:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
 :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal