Slimfast shake for protein and carbs

jesus H.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#26 Re: Crag Food
September 24, 2008, 09:40:19 am
Sainsbury's cherry bakewells. Water. That is all.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#27 Re: Crag Food
September 24, 2008, 09:45:16 am

I'm not sure what the causal relationship is between your choice of crag food and the fact that you only last 40 mins per session?

egg?...chicken?...chicken?...egg?

pot, kettle

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#28 Re: Crag Food
September 24, 2008, 09:49:09 am
I'll have you know that I've lasted the full two hours recently on most occasions.  :-[

Get in, get trashed, get out is my motto. And if you're taking two whole chickens and some eggs to the crag riverbank then no wonder you're not losing weight.

Paul B

• forum hero
#29 Re: Crag Food
September 24, 2008, 10:52:31 am
Slimfast shake for protein and carbs + Malt loaf to fill the stomach.

It's got the same amount of protein in as drinking the equivalent amount of low fat milk and your simple carbs come in the form of Fructose. You might as well just drink sugary milk.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#30 Re: Crag Food
September 24, 2008, 11:26:32 am

It's got the same amount of protein in as drinking the equivalent amount of low fat milk and your simple carbs come in the form of Fructose. You might as well just drink sugary milk.

It's the sports drink of choice for the UK Olympic rowers according to Matthew Pinsent. They seem to do alright on it. Bompa recommends some dairy like yoghurt during training sessions for much the same reasons; good mix of carbs and proteins, and easily tolerated after exercise.

i.munro

• junky
#31 Re: Crag Food
September 24, 2008, 01:01:47 pm

Ah-ha a man who learnt in the Matt Saunders school of sport nutrition (although strictly I think he would advocate coke not water) ;D

Paul B

• forum hero
#32 Re: Crag Food
September 24, 2008, 03:23:35 pm

It's the sports drink of choice for the UK Olympic rowers according to Matthew Pinsent. They seem to do alright on it. Bompa recommends some dairy like yoghurt during training sessions for much the same reasons; good mix of carbs and proteins, and easily tolerated after exercise.

What i'm saying is your being pushed a branded product in this case which the macro's can be easily obtained eating (drinking) something a f*ck load cheaper.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#33 Re: Crag Food
September 24, 2008, 03:37:46 pm
I rememeber a few years ago westie turned up to the crag with just a block of cheese cos thats all they had in the shop

Munkii

• stalker
#34 Re: Crag Food
September 24, 2008, 05:55:30 pm
what i eat snack wise at the crag:

crackers!
all fruit is good
jaffa cakes are amazing and seem to have been forgotten
raw cucumber, celery and carrot (occasionly peppers)
BREAD STICKS!!
i like yoghurt drinks
maybe some cheese
plenty of water, juices

baring in mind this is the range of stuff that i bring, i dont bring it all at once!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:04:12 pm by Munkii »

philo

• forum hero
#35 Re: Crag Food
September 24, 2008, 07:34:07 pm
shortbread/gingerbread men.

in font we lived on chocolate spread

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#36 Re: Crag Food
September 24, 2008, 08:21:59 pm

What i'm saying is your being pushed a branded product in this case which the macro's can be easily obtained eating (drinking) something a f*ck load cheaper.

First off it's got more protein than low fat milk because it's made from soya and milk proteins and you mix it with low fat milk, second the carbs come from glucose syrup.
As for the cost it works out cheaper than buying the component parts (I've costed this in the past), particularly if you use Tesco's own brand. The cost is similar to Decathlon's recovery drink which I also use.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#37 Re: Crag Food
September 24, 2008, 08:44:32 pm
I rememeber a few years ago westie turned up to the crag with just a block of cheese cos thats all they had in the shop

Where had he been shopping? Cheeses of Nazareth?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#38 Re: Crag Food
September 24, 2008, 09:37:56 pm
what i eat snack wise at the crag:

crackers!
all fruit is good
jaffa cakes are amazing and seem to have been forgotten
raw cucumber, celery and carrot (occasionly peppers)

Fuck cucumber; but celery and carrots are ace  :thumbsup:

grated carrot mixed with penut butter and strawbwerry jam in between nice bread used to be my guilty pleasure - must start again.

Paul B

• forum hero
#39 Re: Crag Food
September 24, 2008, 10:11:33 pm

First off it's got more protein than low fat milk because it's made from soya and milk proteins and you mix it with low fat milk, second the carbs come from glucose syrup.
As for the cost it works out cheaper than buying the component parts (I've costed this in the past), particularly if you use Tesco's own brand. The cost is similar to Decathlon's recovery drink which I also use.

I'll take your word for it although last time I was in Decathlon and spent a good while reading packets (and then getting stalked by the security guard) I left feeling that they were shafting you and everything was over priced. Thankfully I now have a nice group of people which adds up to 20kg+ on each order from MP and therefore muchos savings.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#40 Re: Crag Food
September 24, 2008, 11:26:15 pm

grated carrot mixed with penut butter and strawbwerry jam in between nice bread used to be my guilty pleasure - must start again.

And I thought I was weird eating egg, salad cream, marmite and chilli sandwiches    :shrug:

webbo

• forum hero
#41 Re: Crag Food
September 25, 2008, 08:44:37 am
i find it quite hard to eat when at the crag(the total opposite to rest of the time) i'm ok with a bit of fruit but if i start on the flapjack and butties i sort of grind to a halt.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#42 Re: Crag Food
September 27, 2008, 03:40:05 pm
You guys obviously are not getting enough caffeine. You should drink strong black coffee until your heartbeat fills your ears and you are having palpitations, then head out to the crag. I havent eaten solid food since 1986.

Lemming

• regular
  • Nope, not that one.
#43 Re: Crag Food
September 27, 2008, 03:58:06 pm
A proppa espresso as i head out the door, followed by lots of water then my special blend of life giving liquid stuff to keep me going. Perhaps a slice of homemade banana loaf if I get gnawy stomach.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#44 Re: Crag Food
September 29, 2008, 03:36:52 pm
You guys obviously are not getting enough caffeine. You should drink strong black coffee until your heartbeat fills your ears and you are having palpitations, then head out to the crag. I havent eaten solid food since 1986.

Worked for Malc.

alaan

• regular
#45 Re: Crag Food
September 29, 2008, 09:32:30 pm
I have tried, on occasions, to use Bananas as crag food but they inevitably end up squashed over my favorite (unwashed) jumper or one of the many shoes I carry around for no particular reason.

Dried apricots are blooming good but this weekend I was satisfied on the first day by olive bread, feta and hummus (I nearly fell asleep every time I finished a sandwich or two but they blooming lovely - emotion above energy levels, I say!) and on the second scoffed bagels and apricot jam. For less intensive food stuffs, I'd recommend any dried fruit with something sweet and oaty to back it up. Lay off the biscuits (or at the least share them)!

Al

dave

#46 Re: Crag Food
September 29, 2008, 10:30:03 pm
dried apricots are ace but its a fine line to tread before you find yourself shitting through the eye of a needle.

if your banana gets mullered, buy one of these. anyone who's anyone has got one.

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#47 Re: Crag Food
September 29, 2008, 10:41:08 pm
(or at the least share them)!

I'm pretty sure that you've had your fair share of my biscuits...

I went for malt loaf whilst in Pembroke. Good, but i reckon i could easily eat two of them in a day.  :shrug:

alaan

• regular
#48 Re: Crag Food
September 30, 2008, 01:21:52 pm
dried apricots are ace but its a fine line to tread before you find yourself shitting through the eye of a needle.

Yes, this is the ever present danger, if you get carried away with apricots (although can be used to great effect the day before a red-point to loose those etc grams of cheese sandwich accumalated through the week, if that's your bag). Banana boxes are total waft - up there with coats for dogs.

I went for malt loaf whilst in Pembroke. Good, but i reckon i could easily eat two of them in a day.  :shrug:

Malt loaf is good if buttered-up and can also be used in many 'can-guess-what-it-is-yet?' playdo games.

Al

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb
#49 Re: Crag Food
September 30, 2008, 08:11:53 pm
Bananaguards are great, not only do they protect your precious fruit from crushage, they will take 6 cream eggs in a discreet knob shaped package.

I'm out for a full day on Friday and have 2 soreen malt loaf sitting here. How about both buttered and slapped together?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal