UKBouldering.com

Getting rid of old computers (Read 2094 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
Getting rid of old computers
September 12, 2008, 06:46:18 am
Right, I have an old computer to dispose of and am not sure of the best plan. I know they contain lots of toxic nasties and shouldn't just be dumped in the council tip. Besides, though old the thing still functions and might have a usefully extended life with someone who couldn't otherwise afford one. Does anyone know of any charities that take them for reuse either here or abroad?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1 Re: Getting rid of old computers
September 12, 2008, 08:24:54 am
Should be able to find a suitable one from this lot.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#2 Re: Getting rid of old computers
September 12, 2008, 09:04:08 am
Access Space in Sheffield do some good things with old computers including using them to provide free training in building and using computers. Very worthy venture run by interesting and eccentric folks for no profit. They revel in putting otherwise obsolete machines to creative use. Well worth a visit by anyone who is time rich, but computerless.

Another worthy organisation is Aspire. The Sheffield branch have started a recycling and reselling business for office equipment and computers - all run by vulnerable people who want to get back into work. No details on their website, but if you phone them on 0114 2853788 they will arrange to pick up from your office or home (not sure how far they travel). Another very worthy cause.

andy popp

• forum hero
#3 Re: Getting rid of old computers
September 12, 2008, 10:03:24 am
Excellent, exactly the sort of thing I was after. Cheers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal