UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 206755 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
nice, I'll spend less in there than in the bike shop for sure

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Mrs Starfish and friends are going out 7.30pm tonight (Sheffield). They would like somewhere cheapish, maybe where you can take your own wine. I suggested Noodle Inn for them, but she's not in the mood.

Any ideas?

cheers

dave

Papa Ciccios at crosspool is BYOB and very good. Not sure on prices. Phone in advance though cos it gets busy.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
La Terrazza on Sharrow Vale Road at Hunters Bar is a decent little BYOB Italian too if that's what they're after.

Or Kitos up our way. Also standard, perfectly good Italian, also BYOB.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:29:30 pm by Jaspersharpe »

Dolly

• forum hero
As you say Kito's is fairly standard - but I do love it.
It does have a local charm, dead friendly and the home made Lemon cheesecake is very good

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
thanks kids

I've passed on your suggestions

andyh

• stalker
Anyone who's not been to the Caspian on abbeydale road should do. Persian food (which to my mind may be the tastiest food in the world), at reasonable prices and bring ure own booze (2 quid corkage) or buy beers there. my fave's are kashkar baddam joon as a starter, kind of abergine dip, spinach yoghurt, and the fish stew for a main, though friends rave about the kebabs. You won't finish it so you can have it wrapped up to take away for dinner tmrw :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:03:40 pm by andyh »

psychomansam

• forum hero
rajput is byob. Though the food is just standard indean really - not at all bad.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
As you say Kito's is fairly standard - but I do love it.
It does have a local charm, dead friendly and the home made Lemon cheesecake is very good

And kids eat free on a Sunday.  :2thumbsup:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
La Terrazza on Sharrow Vale Road at Hunters Bar is a decent little BYOB Italian too if that's what they're after.

Or Kitos up our way. Also standard, perfectly good Italian, also BYOB.

vote for Kitos here.

panckaes of steaks usually good.

specials often rather good

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Has anyone been to the Devonshire Arms at Middle Handley?

Is it a proper restaurant or gastro-pub fare?

danm

• junky
Anyone know of any decent fish restaurants in Sheffield?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Anyone know of any decent fish restaurants in Sheffield?
It's a chain but Loch Fyne was better than I thought it was going to be.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

danm

• junky

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Me and Ms Bubbs just been for a late Valentine's celebration at Moran's - spot on, my taste buds have been left quivering. Not cheap but nice low-key atmosphere and excellent food.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
went to Sushi Express with work people yesterday evening

between us we had a wide variety of stuff from the menu - all good (I tried some of each dish, of course)

the managers paid for a heap of starters, £50 went a long way

mains were in the £7 to £12 range

soft drinks were overpriced, so I had to drink beer at £2.50 per bottle (Asahi)

service was great, but it was only 5.30pm and so was only 30% full

we've had takeout from there before (it's next door to work and our team leader likes to keep me happy/well fed) and the big Party Platters have been well worth the money - discount for ordering the day before

the menu is a work of art - it is basically a coffee table book with ace photos and plenty of info
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:31:57 am by lagerstarfish »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
went to Sushi Express with work people yesterday evening

Been there a couple of times since it opened and have been impressed with quality, value (never looked at soft drinks prices) and service  :2thumbsup:

Plattsy

• forum hero
Just got back from the Butlers Balti. I didn't go when it was at the top of Broad Lane though I'd heard it was good.
The new premises are pretty nice on first glance but there are a few things that need attention like the drink stains on the walls.
Anyhoo the pickle tray and poppadoms were great with 7 different pickles.
Starters were good too. Paneer tikka (too much red colouring as usual though), onion bhajis and aloo chat.
Things were looking good.
The mains were a complete disappointment. The korma looked like sticky toffee pudding and some of the coconut hadn't been thoroughly mixed in. The jalfrezi wasn't hot enough and lacked flavour and the tikka masala was described as tomato soup.
Overall it was alright. Wouldn't recommend or go back.

Paul B

• forum hero
As our local curry house we've been a fair bit (although not at the new premises) and its pretty hit and miss depending on the night. Avoid the standard curries and go onto the specials (Balti Baruchi).

Zeugma 1 has had a re-fit recently, the food remains the same (great) and as an added bonus we were given a round of Turkish tea on the house.

Also for Nats birthday we ended up at Thai Punna with which I was very impressed. Its way way better than Siam Inter (or whatever its now called), and apart from the ambience I think it had Baan Thai beaten too.

underground

• forum hero
Just got back from the Butlers Balti. I didn't go when it was at the top of Broad Lane though I'd heard it was good.
The new premises are pretty nice on first glance but there are a few things that need attention like the drink stains on the walls.
Starters were good too. Paneer tikka (too much red colouring as usual though), onion bhajis and aloo chat.
The mains were a complete disappointment. The korma looked like sticky toffee pudding and some of the coconut hadn't been thoroughly mixed in. The jalfrezi wasn't hot enough and lacked flavour and the tikka masala was described as tomato soup.
Oh for fucks sake. The poppa dims were good and the rest was utter shit, yet it's 'alright'? Did you complain Andrew?
This shit must stop. If food is bad, say so!

cofe

• forum hero

Zeugma 1 has had a re-fit recently, the food remains the same (great) and as an added bonus we were given a round of Turkish tea on the house.

Went to Zeugma last week for the first time. (The one next to Harrisons.) Really good we thought.

groovedog

• addict
Not sure if mentioned on here but really enjoyed Danishta's on start of Abbeydale opp. Rude Shipyard.

South Indian food. Really tasty. Less Ghee, proper Masala Dosa's some really tasty food. Not your usual ghee, but more coconut based Curry's.

cofe

• forum hero
rajput is byob. Though the food is just standard indean really - not at all bad.

always found Rajput takeaway to be much better than the restaurant. Though the latter was OK too.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Oh for fucks sake. The poppa dims were good and the rest was utter shit, yet it's 'alright'? Did you complain Andrew?
This shit must stop. If food is bad, say so!
The waiter understood I wasn't impressed with the mains.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal