UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 207013 times)

dave

It's an interesting menu but most of the pancake type things, of which there are a lot, didn't sound particularly appetising to me

personally I tend to go on the taste rather than the sound of the food (crazy idea I know)..... ;)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Well obviously, smarty pants, but I can't very well order the whole lot in the hope that something will taste good, can I?  :P

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
If you went with me you could, then I could eat all the things that you don't like  :thumbsup:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
My mum said the pancake things were poor.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
If you went with me you could, then I could eat all the things that you don't like  :thumbsup:
Next time, I will take you.  ;)

Dolly

• forum hero
I've had 2 meals from there now. A take away and eaten in.
I've been disappointed both times really.

The second time we went with a Sri Lankan friend who felt the same.

Bollox to em - they've had their chance

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Anyone eaten at the Milestone? It got a mention a page or so back but no real feedback. Had a great curry at the Mogul Room (Next to the Porters) on Saturday. I never went to whatever it used to be called but Mrs Obi said it wasn't anything special. This time it was all very tasty.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Anyone eaten at the Milestone? It got a mention a page or so back but no real feedback.

Check page 4.  ;)

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
 :agree: Not sure I'd rush back.  Fish curry was quite good, Biriani ok, but not earth-shattering and most of those who had the pancake thingies were underwhelmed.  So, maybe 4/10?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
it was utter toss...
Well, I went back last Thursday, and it was still very good. Not quite as good as before as the fresh coriander tandoori chicken was a little overdone, but everything else was good. Mung Dhal and slighty (and pleasingly) singed poppadoms especially. Good lamb dishes and nice breads too.  :shrug: :P

Further, I had two takeaways a couple of weeks ago and they were also delicious. The rice (egg rice??) was tasty enough to be a meal in itself...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Now I getting confused  :shrug:, what is Fiend referring to? Maybe if we are 'leapfrogging' references we could as a 're:[restaurant name]' before commenting.  :please:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Now I getting confused  :shrug:, what is Fiend referring to? Maybe if we are 'leapfrogging' references we could as a 're:[restaurant name]' before commenting.  :please:

I thought this too, but then I realised I could use links that are in the quoters name/date to go straight back in the thread to what PaulB is calling "Utter toss" and look a few posts above (in this case one).

Its Ashoka.

That said it would be far easier if people gave the context your are suggesting  :)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I thought we were still talking about East and West  :-\

Is East and West still good then?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Now *I*'m confused myself!

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I thought we were still talking about East and West  :-\

Is East and West still good then?
I think not, though I am only reading the evidence on the thread which agrees with my view.  ;D

I think the general opinion is so so verging on not great.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Gotta give a big up to Thai @ The Travellers, a bit out of town in Holmesfield. Went there last night and have a very nice meal including a fine beef curry with the best and fluffiest coconut rice I've ever eaten. The total for 3 people, all with starters, mains, rice and a drink each came to £55 which is about nothing for a good quality meal for 3!

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
taybarns @ tankersley, anyone?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Yo Bubba and mods. This thread is spreading out of Sheffield; and quite rightly so. is there a way that we can write stuff up about places to eat that makes it easier to search? I mean, like maybe write town, venue, date and then opinion? does another format work better? I am aware that other threads exist about eating and that, but you get my drift?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Holmsfield is Greater Sheffield district, word.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
Re:- East and West
The Dhosas (the pancake things) and accompaniments were really good when I ate in, (my comparative reference here is Hansa's in Leeds which is one of the best Indian veg restaurants in the country).
As takeaways they don't work so well (tend to wind up bent and mushy).
The big problem with little places like this is that they start out full of integrity and hope, and tail-off in response to indifference, and probably, the shouty late night racism of a proportion of their customers.
It certainly has been good, the people doing the cooking are capable, so maybe a little constructive criticism (so un-British I know) might get them back on track.
South Asian cuisine is still a rarity up here I was chuffed to find some wel prepared and presented so I'd not give up on them just yet... I can feel tomorrows tea coming on.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
We went to Dosanj - West One on Saturday evening, mainly because we'd not planned on going out so hadn't booked anywhere and it was the first place we went that had a table straight away (I was hungry).

It was ok. Slightly odd in some ways and I was going to struggle to explain it until I saw this review which sums it up perfectly.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/restaurants/Dosanj-Indian-Restaurant-Sheffield-S1.5500074.jp

It still feels a bit like a work in progress but, unlike the reviewer, we spoke to the owner who seemed really helpful and attentive (if stressed). Interesting.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Worth mentioning EatSheffield as a potentially useful resource (although I suspect the discerning palate wallet of UKB denizens is more reliable).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
We went to Aroma on London Road last night to use our voucher for 2 main meals. The place that used to be Boat World. It is huge and was very empty. The food and service were fantastic. Mrs S and I both agreed that it was the best Indian we'd had for a long time.
Pickles with the popadoms were nicer than usual
Starter was cod fried in a light pakora type batter with a tamarindish dipping sauce - ace.
Mains were
- the mixed grill, perfect chicken on the bone, pieces of chicken coated in grated paneer (works well), spicy kebab things and gorgeous lamb chops that had been well marinated in something very tasty with a spicy sauce on the side and a salad that had had some effort put into it.
- ginger chicken; very very good, not greasy at all and a bit different to the usual chicken curries

Peshwari naan was light, tasty with just the slightest hint of butter to it.

The staff were very attentive and helpful without being in your face. When he brought the bill, the waiter had already knocked off the price of the meals covered by the voucher because he had noticed it when we came in

Total would have been £38 for food and beers for 2 (£20 after voucher for mains) - good value.

Unfortunately I can't see them lasting much longer; on a Saturday night they were probably at less than 10% capacity.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Did you get any mints?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
after eights  :thumbsup:

I've just been reminding Mrs Starfish about our descending the fancy staircase in the style of Brucie and Tess. I started this game and since she was laughing so much I kept doing it. The staff looked a bit confused. No one complained though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal