UKBouldering.com

Wharncliffe - Sat 30th August 10am (Read 2488 times)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
Wharncliffe - Sat 30th August 10am
August 28, 2008, 04:52:01 pm
I'm heading to wharncliffe to finally sample some of the fun that's to be had. I've got a sense of urgency for riding since I bought the bike nearly 2 months ago, and I've ridden it a sum total of 5 times! Summer is ending, so I hope to get in some dry runs on saturday. It would be cool if some of you local boys came out too. I'm meeting a friend there but the more the merrier. In case you don't know what I look like (the vest, the lack of helmet, etc), then I'll be riding a black Trek Session 77 and probably looking sketchy as hell.

Peace

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1 Re: Wharncliffe - Sat 30th August 10am
August 28, 2008, 06:46:08 pm
sorry, I'm working... i think bubba may be away...  :(

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Wharncliffe - Sat 30th August 10am
August 29, 2008, 03:53:33 am

I am but there will be loads of people there to point you at the right stuff. Try to borrow a full-facer.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#3 Re: Wharncliffe - Sat 30th August 10am
September 01, 2008, 12:33:50 pm
Thought I'd leave a short update. Went to Wharncliffe on Saturday, had an epic riding around on XC trails because my two friends didn't know where the downhill stuff was (although they had claimed to know wharncliffe woods!), but we eventually stumbled upon all the downhill trails. We didn't ride them all, but what we did ride was good. My only concern is that you can ride faster than the runs need you to ride. I figure that on a downhill run all the jumps/turns/drops should be engineered with a certain speed in mind. Whilst I was bimbling down I found that I was going too fast in some sections. I was clearing the jumps by a long way, thus landing on the flats, and the same with all the drops. Obviously there were some sections that I rode much more slowly, but they were less flowy and tighter. I did realise that having a full suspension rig is absolutely amazing. You can literally pedal as hard as you can, stay light, weight back, and destroy what comes at you. I had a lot of fun, but the push ups were a nightmare. Those uplift days in scotland now seem to make a LOT of sense!

I was a bit disappointed by the jumps section as they were rather small. Even the largest gap wasn't that big (but I did nearly crash one time due to pedalling way too hard, way too deep into the run in!). However, this was all made up for when my friend took me to another jump spot in high green. There are a 6 pack which looked ace, but it was pretty tight inbetween jumps and I didn't make it over the 4th! I think this was party due to bad technique but also due a rubbing back brake which was scrubbing a lot of speed.

Anyway, I'm keen to get out riding more so if anyone fancies it let me know.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#4 Re: Wharncliffe - Sat 30th August 10am
September 01, 2008, 12:58:34 pm
Did you check out the Grenoside woods at all? The trails aren't as steep I don't think but there is a pit/bowl with loads of big drop offs. Far too gnarly for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal