UKBouldering.com

Peak Pubs - booze & grub (Read 77476 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#100 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 08, 2010, 09:34:59 pm
If you (or anyone you know) have the relevant Charity Unleashed voucher, you could try this. We went for our anniversary. Think the voucher may be only for certain nights of the week?

dave

#101 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 08, 2010, 10:00:20 pm
I don't have no charidy shit but will look into it anyway, sounds good etc. Cheers.

dave

#102 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 08, 2010, 10:03:27 pm
Actually fuck that, they have a 2-night minimum stay on weekends, I'm strictly on an M-People vibe -  one night, one night, OOOOOh.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#103 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 08, 2010, 10:18:42 pm
Think the free room voucher was week nights only. I hear that you don't do weak nights.

dave

#104 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 08, 2010, 10:30:59 pm
Or weak knights.

Paul B

• forum hero
#105 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 22, 2010, 06:00:34 pm
any of these fine establishments allow pooch's in? (Not 'The Pooch').

Paul B

• forum hero
#106 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 23, 2010, 10:52:54 pm
any of these fine establishments allow pooch's in? (Not 'The Pooch').

to answer my own question: The Red Lion - Litton although for all new Dads they specify "No Babies!" on the website, and I was actually asked on the phone whether or not I had a baby when asking about the mini dog.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#107 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
December 14, 2010, 05:29:32 pm
Alright, anyone got any views on The Cricket Inn in Totley word?

Am coming down for a romantic weekend with the missus and this is just up the road. I was gonna take her to the Chequer's as it's one of my favourites but thought I'd try summat new.

Gonna take the recommendation from a few pages earlier for Rowley's as well for a bit of an early Xmas blowout.

Cheers all.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#108 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
December 15, 2010, 10:19:55 pm
Nobody? Fair enough...guess I'll post up a review once we've been then!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#109 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
December 16, 2010, 10:46:47 am
I'm sure it's been mentioned on here before somewhere.  :-\

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#110 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
December 16, 2010, 11:32:34 am
I had that inkling too, but was too lazy to search when I read the post.

Now I'm not so lazy, its mentioned three times in the Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! thread...

Here (2008)

Here (2010)

And here (2010) although more about the Cross Scythes on the main road

I've stopped at the Cricket Inn for a pint (and puncture repair) after coming through Blacka Moor, beer was nice but pricey, menu looked fancy (and slightly more expensive to go with it, but the few meals looked to be home-made and not just reheated freezer fare).

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#111 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
December 16, 2010, 11:34:42 am
I've eaten there twice and found it a bit hit and miss .First time was enjoyable , quite memorable chips  , second not so , ...... Plus the food came on chopping boards , which is all well and good unless you've ordered summat with gravy    ....... The  beer was excellent  though , so that was nice  :beer2:   

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#112 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
December 16, 2010, 09:43:07 pm
Ahhh - had searched this thread and one of the others but forgot about the restaurant recommendations one...

We're (weather dependant) heading down tomorrow so will be doing Cricket Inn tomorrow, Rowley's on Sat. Will report back on findings, especially catering for the missus, who is veggie!

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#113 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
December 16, 2010, 10:35:57 pm
Rowleys is excellent, well worth the £15 taxi ride. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I agree with Grumpy about the cricket; generally ok but occasionally a bit disappointing. We have had a few unreasonably long waits for food.  :please:

underground

• forum hero
#114 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
February 05, 2011, 05:26:47 pm
We tried the Fox and Goose on 'Pudding Pie Hill' between curbar crossroads and Chesterfield. I'll be specific in a bit when I sit down, but to some it up:

The worst 'meal' I've been out for in as long as I can remember, never again.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#115 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
February 06, 2011, 02:31:29 pm
Forgot to post a few weeks back. Lazy Trout has new managers. So far so good (still good beer and good food and climber friendly).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#116 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
February 07, 2011, 10:03:40 am
We tried the Fox and Goose on 'Pudding Pie Hill' between curbar crossroads and Chesterfield. I'll be specific in a bit when I sit down, but to some it up:

The worst 'meal' I've been out for in as long as I can remember, never again.

Please elaborate!

underground

• forum hero
#117 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
February 11, 2011, 12:10:30 am
Right, so - I'd previously looked at the website having spotted the signs on Baslow Road etc. and it gave the impression of a gastro pub, i.e cosy pub with decent food. And a couple of folk saying it was good, so we gave it a try.

Arrival - massive car park, rammed - which door? This is a massive boozer for a start.

Entry - you walk into what was obviously the old pub, but it has all the hallmarks of a chain - empty, cold, token fire at the far end, and a TV on the wall showing football.. hmmm. Anyway the young barman was a decent attentive chap, got the beers in and he suggested we take a seat, decide what we want o eat and then we'll get our table. There isn't actually a 'good' i.e. comfortable table in this whole 'pub' bit - and not really a lot on the menu to inspire.

Taking order 1 - woman comes out of a side door looking pissed off and asks for our order, by which time we've probably waited 40 mins, decided it's an atmosphere vacuum and wondering if the chinese is a more attractive option. We ask if there's a specials menu and to be seated before we order - and we are seated. Shown through to the 'dining room' which in reality is a corridor section between the pub bit and a massive conservatory style funtion room, in which a massive 65th birthday is taking place, with a terrible singer on absolutely blaring out Sinatra / Martin / Davis Jr etc. numbers at a volume that makes conversation a leaning forward so as to not shout kinda affair - all the while overlooked by staff rushing back and forth and the 'maitre d'' on a pedestal right next to us... sorry, more like a lectern....

Taking order 2 - maitre di - So, grim as it seems, we decide to press on, simply because by this time it's half nine and we haven't been out much lately (and the one good thing is the Peroni so I'm not objecting too much)
Anyway, this fellow looking like an spray tanned cross between Bradley Walsh and Tom Cruise off Cocktail swans over all 'Heey, how are you tonight my friends' with enough oil and slime to make the Gulf of Mexico look clean.

'Sorry for the wait, we're busy - been here before?'
'No, just passed by when we were walking nearby'
'Ah - just a sec' - walks off, we've alredy been waiting over an hour, and comes back with....

A FUCKING LEAFLET ABOUT WALKS NEAR THE PUB - THAT YOU CAN ORDER A PICNIC FROM THEM TO TAKE ALONG!!!!

Anyway, this is hurting me to recollect so I'll cut to the chase- I got a free pint for the delay but this cunt was straight out of a 'how to be a sleazy waiter' lesson - in fact my gyal even went to get her own coat just so he couldn't 'help her with it / himself to a quick grope' after the friendly hand on the shoulder earlier...

Food:
'Tartare sauce' = 'Catering salad cream'
Fish and Chips = the only thing on the menu she fancied, but a fucking scandal at £16
Lamb Shank = the only thing on the menu I thought they couldn't fuck up, well - 'Pommes Anna' were a. lumpy, b. burnt on the bottom from being kept hot on a tray in a round mould c. almost unpalatable due to the really bitter rosemary.
The gravy - out of a packet, undoubtedly - that artificial sticky/shiny 'setting' shit, salty and flavourless.
Veg - overcooked, dry, tough green beans

When we were obviously unhappy, and particularly when we didn't ask for a dessert, the oily cunt totally lost interest, and didn't even ask how the meal was - he gave us a card to fill in obviously we gave the shittest review, but it'll be no doubt binned.

Before it reaches the people who are blatantly the completely business oriented, profit oriented, not giving a fuck about providing a decent service, food or experience in what they portray as a traditional country pub, owners of this tragic, despicable excuse for .....

well, what the fuck is it? Don't ever, ever, waste your precious free time or money on these shameful parasites.

dave

#118 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
July 03, 2011, 03:13:24 pm
Heads up - checked out a pub today that had been under my radar for some reason (despite a peripheral mention early on this thread:

Derwentwater Arms, Calver. Where the fuck is that I hear you say? Basically its about 100yards behind Outside, away from the main road crossroads. The food is absolutley knockout and not unreasonably priced, good ale too and nipper friendly. Best pub meal I've had in ages. Get to it.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#119 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
July 08, 2011, 11:12:11 am
Re: the cricket at totley

Was there fairly recently for mates birthday - I had lamb with minty mash and grilled cherry tomatoes - the lamb was ok-ish not special, the mash a bit tepid/uninspiring - the tomatoes really tasty - nothing seemed to really go together (and I', not some cordon bleu foody type - it was just a bit - meh!)

Stole some of other halfs chips they were really nice - your not really hitting your gastro pub targets if your chips are the nice thing IMO.

I would rather have something simpler done really well (like the home cooked Ham egg and chips at the red liion in litton) - than have "fancier" done a bit crappily.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#120 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
July 08, 2011, 01:15:24 pm
I would rather have something simpler done really well (like the home cooked Ham egg and chips at the red liion in litton) - than have "fancier" done a bit crappily

Amen to that. I thought the chips at The Cricket were disappointing. The only way you improve chips is with salt and vinegar, not by leaving the skins on or making them massive.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#121 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
July 08, 2011, 03:19:22 pm
The only way you improve chips is with salt and vinegar, not by leaving the skins on or making them massive.

Too right.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#122 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
July 08, 2011, 05:23:35 pm
ate at the cricket last night (first time in ages) for the wife's birthday and the consensus was we should have saved ourself the walk and gone for a curry instead.   The pint of Cricketers to start and (overpriced if not on the Set Menu) cheese to finish were the only real good points.  Reckon the Cross Scythes round the corner is a better option.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#123 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
July 08, 2011, 07:07:08 pm
Went to the Bull's Head in Monyash (not a million miles away from Chee Dale) with parents yesterday. Simple but tasty pub food in a decent portion and at a fair price. We opted to sit outside where there is a very well kept beer garden with a kids adventure playground which made me jealous of the kids! the inside dining room looked very plush, more of a restaurant than a hotel. In fact it might have felt a little grandiose sitting in there. Some good beers on tap. Worth a visit.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#124 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
July 20, 2011, 01:26:59 pm
Went to the Bull's Head in Monyash (not a million miles away from Chee Dale) with parents yesterday. Simple but tasty pub food in a decent portion and at a fair price. We opted to sit outside where there is a very well kept beer garden with a kids adventure playground which made me jealous of the kids! the inside dining room looked very plush, more of a restaurant than a hotel. In fact it might have felt a little grandiose sitting in there. Some good beers on tap. Worth a visit.

Good arrows Will. That adventure playground looks a winner for keeping the sprogs happy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal