UKBouldering.com

Peak Pubs - booze & grub (Read 76634 times)

205Chris

• forum hero
Following on from the Sheffield restaurant thread has anyone got any recommendations for pubs in the peak district that do decent evening meals?

Tried the Chequers at Froggatt and the Black Swan at Idridgehay and am after similar suggestions please.

Thanks.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Since the other thread is dead,

avoid The Plough in Hathersage despite high prices I think the menu is likely to be sourced from 3663 or similar than from real ingredients.  My reason for this is that they were purportedly serving fresh crab on a Tuesday evening and their menu appears to exensive to be profitable with waste etc.

The Maynard in Grindleford is fine, if slightly over priced a la carte a few amuse bouche and a decent cellar would give it a real edge and a recommendation; the beer is always fine and the staff attentive and pleasant.

The Millstone seems to have nose dived and is if not in ICU financially I wouldn't be suprised if it wasn't seriously unwell.  In my recent experience best avoided.

Fox house, plastic pub, less than satisfactory beer, ready meals.  Having said that it's not the worst and has a good car park (damning with faint praise).

The robin hood (under Birchens, haven't eaten there but last time I can recall the new landlords were really good folk and making a good fist of a country boozer)

I'll stop now as my john dory starter is ready

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
Druid at Birchover

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
The Peacock in Rowsley is very good if you're after the fine dining end of the pub food experience.

dave

I might actually merge this onto the previous topic to keep it all in one place, that was the idea of the original one. http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,9788.msg160180.html

any objections?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Seems to make sense

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#57 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
August 30, 2009, 09:01:07 pm
Today we went to The Ashford Arms in... Ashford in the Water. Gorgeous roast dinners, with perfect large Yorkshire puds of which they are justifiably proud. Everyone in the place looked to be enjoying their meals (all looked great).
Our friends are staying in Ashford for the weekend and said that the food at The Bull's Head was good, but it gets busy in the evenings, with all tables full by 6.30pm (they open at 6).

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#58 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
September 01, 2009, 01:33:24 pm
Yesterday we went to The Bull's Head in... Ashford in the Water. Rather nice food, with a delicious guinea fowl terrine starter and hearty if pricey main courses. Service was dilligent and swift, atmosphere was comfy, and there was still plenty of space at 7.30pm (they opened at 6.30).
Lagers recommended the Ashford Arms, alas they stopped serving food at 4pm on the bank holiday Monday.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#59 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 06, 2010, 10:37:18 am
Time to resurrect this thread for current peak foodie recommendations.  Ate at The Little John in Hathersage this weekend as it was 15 minutes walk from accommodation, serving food at 9.30pm on Easter Sunday, and I hadn't read this thread recently.

Food was vast in quantity and dire in quality.  I tend to stick to pub staples when in untested territory but even the haddock and chips was mediocre.  Beer was OK.

Where do you eat in Hathersage? 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#60 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 06, 2010, 10:45:03 am
The Millstone Inn or The Scotsmans Pack.

The former being a bit out of town, but their sausage & mash mix-n-match is brilliant, and their specials board is usually pretty good.  Scotsmans Pack is more traditional fair.

dave

#61 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 06, 2010, 10:50:50 am
I thought the millstone had gone to dogshit recent years, unless its changed hands again. Last sausage n mash i had there was garbage.

Paul B

• forum hero
#62 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 06, 2010, 12:24:28 pm
The Millstone Inn or The Scotsmans Pack.

The former being a bit out of town, but their sausage & mash mix-n-match is brilliant, and their specials board is usually pretty good.  Scotsmans Pack is more traditional fair.

Last time I ate at the Scotsmans it had taken a downhill tumble. These days I just go to the littlejohn, at least then I know what i'll be getting. Ok food and lots of it.

Dolly

• forum hero
#63 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 06, 2010, 01:25:25 pm
The last time I went to The Millstone it did have Kelham Island Pride of Sheffield on tap tho' - which was nice

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#64 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 06, 2010, 07:18:54 pm
Sadly the sir william hill in grindleford has missed the opportunity to survive . . . .again.

The beer is crap greene king and not well kept and expensive to boot.

The food is apparently poor in quality, small in portions and over priced eg £10 for fish and chips.

The staff are at least polite now which is a start but I don't see the place paying its way. 

Think the chequers without any of the good points of the chequers  :-[

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#65 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 06, 2010, 07:24:15 pm
Ate at The Little John in Hathersage this weekend... Food was vast in quantity and dire in quality.

That's exactly what I've found the past few times I've eaten there. I've had a casserole that was so vinegary, I couldn't finish it (and that's saying something!). I always just eat at the Millstone. It's not amazing, but it's exactly what I'm after in terms of pub grub. Decent portions, and decent quality, for a fairly decent price. And it's always got a local beer or two on tap.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#66 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 07, 2010, 12:51:08 pm

These days I just go to the littlejohn, at least then I know what i'll be getting. Ok food and lots of it.
What on earth does a Paul B do with a Littlejohn size meal, take home in a doggy-bag and liquidize to make a month's supply of cut-price protein shake?  ;)

dave

#67 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 07, 2010, 12:55:14 pm
He just has a sachet of tartare sauce.

Paul B

• forum hero
#68 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 07, 2010, 01:06:51 pm

These days I just go to the littlejohn, at least then I know what i'll be getting. Ok food and lots of it.
What on earth does a Paul B do with a Littlejohn size meal, take home in a doggy-bag and liquidize to make a month's supply of cut-price protein shake?  ;)

You've got me. Nat and I shared last time.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#69 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 07, 2010, 01:36:57 pm
i rate the grouse for simple, "local to shef" peak pub food - greene king IPA is OK there, good simple food, smaller (cheaper) portion available (to justify subsequent pudding splurge), nice fire.

agree with previous comments about naff sausage and mash at the millstone.

have had 1 nice/ok one ok/naff at the norfolk arms,

would definiely recommend the red lion at litton (not so local to home, but good if you've been on the lime) - had amazing home cooked ham egg and chips there - Yum!

dave

#70 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 07, 2010, 01:41:37 pm
would definiely recommend the red lion at litton

Yeah this place very good. Not been since the anklebiter arrival, I'm sure I saw a sign up there saying they weren't really down with people bringing binlids in, which is a shame.

Paul B

• forum hero
#71 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 07, 2010, 02:37:54 pm
would definiely recommend the red lion at litton

Yeah this place very good. Not been since the anklebiter arrival, I'm sure I saw a sign up there saying they weren't really down with people bringing binlids in, which is a shame.

Had a great post lime pint there after some tor tickage.

dave

#72 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 07, 2010, 02:45:27 pm
What? There's only one place to celebrate a tor tick, and that's elliots chippy in tideswell.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#73 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 07, 2010, 02:48:53 pm
You're right The Red Lion don't let kids in but if it's nice you can sit outside. Good pub.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#74 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
April 07, 2010, 03:42:58 pm
Thanks all.  I'm surprised there is not somewhere better in a place as large and affluent as Hathersage.  Perhaps with so much holiday trade standards don't need to be that high to stay in business.  Will have to designate a driver in future by the sound of it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal