UKBouldering.com

New Wharncliffe Problem for crack lovers (Read 3558 times)

Tommy

• junky
New Wharncliffe Problem for crack lovers
August 15, 2008, 10:52:06 pm
Oh yes, in the pursuit of pain I've been hunting out a few things at Wharncliffe and came up with a nice little steep offwidth boulder problem. I'm guessing it's not been done before as most poeple aren't that sick and twisted in their approach to climbing...  ;D

Actually a pretty cool problem and something well worth looking out for as I don't know of much like it. 70 degrees overhanging, requiring butterfly jams and foot cams all the way to the end. There's a block out left at the end, which makes the finish easier, but would be very eliminate if you tried to leave it out, so I did it with the block in (provides a usefull handjam).

Stand start at the back and make your way to the top - pretty obvious! Beautifully painful and good quality moves. Thought it was about V5 (I'm not up for easy grades on cracks  ;) ) and called it "Butterfly Crack."

Here are a couple of pics:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Nicely done.
But, taping up?  I mean, c'mon, man/mouse etc :lol:

I gotta say that that does not look like my bag at all!

Tommy

• junky
Nothing wrong with that when you've got a pair of ready made gloves always stuck in the bottom of your bag....!

I don't do it much, but thought they'd illustrate the butterfly jams better in this case...  :-\  Besides, when you're climbing 6 or 7 days a week it's worth keeping your hands in good shape.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
No arguing with that!
I have an allergy to cracks, y'see.  Bring me out in a (grit) rash.

Wouldn't it be better as a layback?  :lol:

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Tom, looks like it would go in a 'Dire Straits/Springstein bandana' head jam style. I have no doubt you have one of those in the bottom of your bag.

dave

if this is the thing i think it is (almost underground level, right of the Hell gate area?) then its an old project of Mo Overgrade's.

Tommy

• junky
Alright Stallioni - just you wait until the 30th August.... You thought you were getting an 8a crimp fest to onsight - maybe they'll be a nice little offwidth waiting for you boys....  ;D

Tommy

• junky
if this is the thing i think it is (almost underground level, right of the Hell gate area?) then its an old project of Mo Overgrade's.

Hey, if it is.... at least it's not an overgrade?!  ::)  I'm sure Mo would have be able to do it though. Sounds like we might be talking about the same thing though as it is down and right of Hell Gate. I guess if anyone was mad enough to bother doing a repeat of it they could confirm the grade.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal