UKBouldering.com

The wednesday after work MTB riding thread (xc saddle sniffers) (Read 62374 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
here it is

Ready to ride outside Hope church at 8:30

Sunday, if it's just TLr and fatkid I'm about be beasted on the climbs!

I have a steady route planned, nothing too harsh, be good fun!

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
8.30 :jaw: OK, I'll be there. By the church; do you mean in the pay and display opposite the Woodbine? Or in the little layby on the left just as you get into the village where the 18 Bikes van is usually parked? I'm sure I'll find you anyway.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
right in front of the church as you get into Hope.

se ya there!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
The synopsis of my learning curve yesterday that riding with very very fit roadies off road is very very impressive, some hills were cleaned - or near as - that i pushed a lot on. superb day, shame such an early start was needed.

A word to the wise, tlr on his superlight is an up hill off road wad of great proportion! I've not ridden with anyone who has the skills and fitness, truly impressive piece of riding that!

I'll not be riding weds, family duty calls.

I've a window to go check out a ridable way up win hill, this would obviate either the massive push we do now or the treacherous beast of hope cross descent on the *3 hills* ride we most commonly do round ladybower.... interesting... would speed up the ride to then consider it for a midweeker hopefully!

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
are you looking for "legal" bridle way or anyway? - from which side? path up from thornhill looks ride-able-ish (i ran down it the other day), theres also from aston, is from hope cross the easiest ride up?

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
Wow, kind words indeed from Fatdoc, a light bike does wonders on the uphills.

Lets just say that I wasn't at the front on the way backdown though!

Good ride, and one thing about such an ungodly start was that there was still plenty of Sunday left for eating and drinking after the ride.

fatkid2000

• junky
Well I was the muppet of the Sunday ride - uphill rubbish, need to learn how to ride up hill and pick the lines, oh and I think I need to change my pedals. Although fitness wise I can keep going - but I knew fitness wasn't going to be a issue.

Downhill even worse - although I nearly wiped myself out when some idiot blocked the entire path on the way down towards Hope.

Anyway I enjoyed myself & starting to understand my bike, although got loads to learn and avoid injuries for the next 4 weeks. I like early starts as I'm always awake at 5 am.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
i found the trail i was looking for..

Then after selling a vital organ to afford a sarnie in the woodbine cafe in Hope I attacked the first hill of yesterday with renewed vigour, and finally got up the whole thing. there were gate breaks, as i was on my own - but i'm happier now.

then the huge big warm drops of rain began..... :( i descended my climb to ladybower - full on the rain.... a true XC *let it go* descent, very good, without the usual grit scree to terrify you either!

i can now say that carrying around a pace eVent jacket is worth it, otherwise i'd have been stuffed - with at least 15km to go to the van!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Well I was the muppet of the Sunday ride - uphill rubbish, need to learn how to ride up hill and pick the lines, oh and I think I need to change my pedals. Although fitness wise I can keep going - but I knew fitness wasn't going to be a issue.

Downhill even worse - although I nearly wiped myself out when some idiot blocked the entire path on the way down towards Hope.

Anyway I enjoyed myself & starting to understand my bike, although got loads to learn and avoid injuries for the next 4 weeks. I like early starts as I'm always awake at 5 am.

whats wrong with the pedals?

they're in black arnt they?

Hmmmmmm.......... might be interested in those  ;D

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
Me me me I want in on some hot panty riding action.
Let me know what's happening. I'm away working during the week but Sunday early would be good.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
your in.

I have a plan, details to follow

cofe

• forum hero
count me in too, sunshine. i need to keep riding. i've just had another mtbeasting at the hands of tlr tonight. i had to hose my thighs in an ice cold shower afterwards.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Sorry I missed both Sunday and last night.  Am well up for riding this Sunday since I haven't actually been out on the bike for over a week.

How about a Hope circuit (again)?

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
I'll be there on Sunday.

I'll try and avoid last nights '20ft fall down a rocky bank' shennanigans too. Luckily only a couple of scratches to show for it. The descent from Win Hill to Yorkshire Bridge has to be a good contender for the most technical descent in the Peak award. 250m of down in 650m of along, and a few rocks and roots for good measure.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
this is all getting full on  :thumbsup:

right, once FBSF finally tells me of his ridable mythical trail I cant find on win / lose hill i have a route planned for FRIDAY evening. I cant leave sheff till 18:15 and it will be 3 hills, (3 hrs+) starting at the dam of ladybower, up win hill, down it (same side - bear with me.. it's worth it - i hit warp speed on there this week).... 10 mins trek to A57... along it for 5 mins, to turn Right up the road switchbacks..... turn Left... big classic hill / descent (it will be dark by now) to then get to road by derwent... turn right... cross lake at fairholmes..... turn Right... follow until climb up the cobbles of doom to the climb up to top of cut throat bridge descent... full speed descent to stop shy of the road.... turn right... big fast drop to the PUB  ;D

same route planned for sunday unless anyone else wants to take the reins regarding routes...

Tlr... where did you come off then??? sounds a bit harsh!! i dont know where the yorkshire bridge is, which kinda makes it tricky... do you mean the beast of hope cross??

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
That route is virtually the reverse of what we did last night, except at the end of our route we climbed from Rowlee bridge up to the very top of Win Hill (it may become footpath at some point....) and the descended due east down Parkin Clough* to Yorkshire bridge.

Parkin Clough was where I came a bit unstuck, makes the Beast look like Tissington Trail. Too hard for me.

*might also be a footpath....(although Via Ferratta might be more appropriate).

cofe

• forum hero
'steep' doesn't really do it justice:

dave

its bad enough walking that path.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Gotta say it's a mighty fine effort you got there with only scratches. Is that the only way down to the Yorkshire Bridge from Win Hill?

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Not at all and imho straight down there is far from the best.  Better is the fp to the north, then traverse round but don't drop the last bit of fp but carry on to a secret manmade little dh section which ends at the dam.  Less steep, but faster and more fun.  ;)

cofe

• forum hero
i'd heard about that one although i'd also heard it had been dug out by the rangers, i.e. un rideable. have you been down it recently?

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
this is all getting full on  :thumbsup:

right, once FBSF finally tells me of his ridable mythical trail I cant find on win / lose hill i have a route planned for FRIDAY evening. I cant leave sheff till 18:15 and it will be 3 hills, (3 hrs+) starting at the dam of ladybower, up win hill, down it (same side - bear with me.. it's worth it - i hit warp speed on there this week).... 10 mins trek to A57... along it for 5 mins, to turn Right up the road switchbacks..... turn Left... big classic hill / descent (it will be dark by now) to then get to road by derwent... turn right... cross lake at fairholmes..... turn Right... follow until climb up the cobbles of doom to the climb up to top of cut throat bridge descent... full speed descent to stop shy of the road.... turn right... big fast drop to the PUB  ;D

same route planned for sunday unless anyone else wants to take the reins regarding routes...

Tlr... where did you come off then??? sounds a bit harsh!! i dont know where the yorkshire bridge is, which kinda makes it tricky... do you mean the beast of hope cross??
:goodidea: :thumbsup:This sounds great to me for Sunday.

cofe

• forum hero
i'd heard about that one although i'd also heard it had been dug out by the rangers,

i meant severn trent btw

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
i'd heard about that one although i'd also heard it had been dug out by the rangers, i.e. un rideable. have you been down it recently?

i take it you are referring to the last, dh, section cofe?  I can't imagine they've dug up the footpath but I can imagine they will have ruined the last section.  Ask your gaffer since it's his local?  Would be good to know.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
right.

i new nothing of a mini DH section on that hill, and i cant believe no one told me  :wall:

i do know parkin clough.

jerry and i found the footpath on OS maps and ended up carrying... for an hour. that was 6 yrs ago, never been back...

I'd need my demo 8 to ride it... some of the blind step downs are 3 ft to blind if i remember? sick dude...

if there is a more subtle way down there then

WOW

fbsf is comin round for a few galleons of fizzy cold lager and a session on the OS map (no, dont)

i would now like to formally suggest the friday ride is as posted, the sunday ride the reverse incl the *subtle* way off win hill and at that point I relieve myself of route plans and some other poor fool suggests some rides

my ride times are usually

-weds, 18:30 rush to eccy woods

- sun, awful early... like to be home b 4 13:00

*lets do this*

shit, i'd better do some climbing soon, or bubba will throw me off the forum!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal