UKBouldering.com

The wednesday after work MTB riding thread (xc saddle sniffers) (Read 62653 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
sunday now dodgy.. esp as rear brake fucked and new rear wheel hub yet to arrive  :(

If a miracle occurrs I'll be up for any ride that gets me home at 12:45 ish.... bit like the last few sunday rides.....

Big G and dave are out.... Norton and Tlr are in....[+ ? cofe]

fatkid2000

• junky
sunday now dodgy.. esp as rear brake fucked and new rear wheel hub yet to arrive  :(

If a miracle occurrs I'll be up for any ride that gets me home at 12:45 ish.... bit like the last few sunday rides.....

Big G and dave are out.... Norton and Tlr are in....[+ ? cofe]

My plan to keep the world economy afloat on fatdoc's mtb habit are going well - another piece of broken equipment yesterday.  :thumbsup:

cofe

• forum hero
there's a good chance. need to sort the chain suck problem before then.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Have you checked your chain wear cofe?

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
I'm sure that between Fatdoc and Cofe they must have one working bike. The other can ride my Bullit round. 39lbs isn't too bad for an XC bike is it?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
i thought the chain line was too close to the chain stay.....

i'll not have a defo to ride until sat after 4 p.m.  coz I'm waiting for a maxle rear hub to get my new rear wheel  built, once ready i then take bike in, swap wheel, get the rotor on it it should have and hope that my brake lever issue is just a simple circlip adjustment. In theory i could rob a DH brake off my old Demo and use the old wheel on sunday.... we'll see how desperate I get!!

If I get too pissed off i"ll have to turn to the dark side for the day :-[

cofe

• forum hero
there's some burrs on chainring but rear mech seems to have lost tension too. combination of the two. think the chain is ok.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
You need to measure the chain Cofe, not just think it's ok  ::)  Let me know if you want to borrow a chain measuring tool.  And I'll send FD round  :lol:  Chain suck has nothing to do with the rear mech but the burrs won't be helping.  If you have a Shimano chain on now try a SRAM, sometimes that can help.

FD, you could always borrow my old hardtail, or Mrs Sharley's bike?   :P

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
up to a certain amount of chain stretch you can replace just the chain - over this and you will get recommended to change cassette and chain rings:

reference

If the rivet is less than 1/16" past the mark, all is well.

If the rivet is 1/16" past the mark, you should replace the chain, but the sprockets are probably undamaged.

If the rivet is 1/8" past the mark, you have left it too long, and the sprockets (at least the favorite ones) will be too badly worn. If you replace a chain at the 1/8" point, without replacing the sprockets, it may run OK and not skip, but the worn sprockets will cause the new chain to wear much faster than it should, until it catches up with the wear state of the sprockets.

If the rivet is past the 1/8" mark, a new chain will almost certainly skip on the worn sprockets, especially the smaller ones.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
reference
The standard way to measure chain wear is with a ruler or steel tape measure. This can be done without removing the chain from the bicycle. The normal technique is to measure a one-foot length, placing an inch mark of the ruler exactly in the middle of one rivet, then looking at the corresponding rivet 12 complete links away. On a new, unworn chain, this rivet will also line up exactly with an inch mark. With a worn chain, the rivet will be past the inch mark.
Is this way of measuring chains still applicable? Isn't it metric yet?

cofe

• forum hero
i prefer my 'hunch' technique. Look at the bike from, say, 6 feet away and guess.

I'll file the burrs down first and then see what happens. regardless, the rear mech isn't working properly which can't be helping as there's less tension in the chain making sucky-suck-suck more likely.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
up to a certain amount of chain stretch you can replace just the chain - over this and you will get recommended to change cassette and chain rings:

reference

If the rivet is less than 1/16" past the mark, all is well.

If the rivet is 1/16" past the mark, you should replace the chain, but the sprockets are probably undamaged.

If the rivet is 1/8" past the mark, you have left it too long, and the sprockets (at least the favorite ones) will be too badly worn. If you replace a chain at the 1/8" point, without replacing the sprockets, it may run OK and not skip, but the worn sprockets will cause the new chain to wear much faster than it should, until it catches up with the wear state of the sprockets.

If the rivet is past the 1/8" mark, a new chain will almost certainly skip on the worn sprockets, especially the smaller ones.

fuck that, use a chain gauge tool.

but seriously, the best way to get chain longevity is to have a series of chains that you swap regularly so that the sprockets and the series of chains all wear at the same slow rate.

since I have a near maintenance free bike I can't be arsed with the above, and neither will cofe be.  I reckon the solution is to let me borrow the Ibis for  a ride and see what I reckon,  :kiss2:

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana

fuck that, use a chain gauge tool.

wise words - never used these measurements. i just looked them up as more specific than "up to a certain amount"

but seriously, the best way to get chain longevity is to have a series of chains that you swap regularly so that the sprockets and the series of chains all wear at the same slow rate.

this sounds like a good idea - despite knowing about chain wear i have never successfully replaced my chain in time - always just got chain suck  ::)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
firstly...

just change the damn chain (sram of course).

secondly...

may I here and now praise 18bikes

they f8ckin rock....

I go over to Hope, they look at the bike... they say "15 mins chap"

I go back, piston in brake back in, circlip sorted.. no charge, no fuss... sorted

any shop in sheff do that?

would they f8ck...

respect

BTW, that chain line is too close to the frame cofe mate, and it's chewing the carbon!!!! :o

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
Do we have any takers for a Sunday ride then? Does anybody's bike still actually work?

My suggestions would either be the 16 mile Edale circle involving Jacobs Ladder or maybe the 25 mile Linacre circuit, but that might take too long for those on  budget.

Happy to do anything really, forecast looks OK.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
I'm bowing out of a big ride and just doing a local training ride. This leaves you lot a non time limited ride.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Can't make a ride this evening, climbing training is taking precedence.  Or is it Dolly's stash of beer that is enticing me to train on a Wednesday?

Will be out at the weekend though if anyone wants to hook up.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
get dolly out next weds... then i'll drink his beers as well ;)

i'm off to the theatre!

donrt worry, it's horrid henry :o

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Back to usual plan of a Sunday morning big ride.  Would be well up for Edale circuit.  Any takers for a not too early start?

fatkid2000

• junky
I've got orders to go to church due to getting married next week. Shit 7 days of single life......then its all down-hill. Unless we start at 6 am.

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
Not to early at all from my point of view please - going to a wedding the night before!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I've got orders to go to church due to getting married next week.

That sounds like an unusually long time to be waiting at the altar  :P

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Sounds good to me Tim, and I ain't making any concessions for church goers  :spank:

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Any takers for this Wednesday's fun filled blast to the pub? 

Might start needing lights soon boys.    :jaw:

fatkid2000

• junky
I may make Wednesday nights ride - depending on 1) Work finishing on time - although my new job is slack afternoon surgery can drag on abit. 2) Well- that chilled out girl-friend is getting about fired up about the wedding. But abit of a ride to the pub may be in order. You certainly will need lights unless you plan to home by 7:30 - Autumn has arrived ...so much for the summer.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal