UKBouldering.com

Loss of power in ring and pinky finger (Read 1782 times)

Tommy

• junky
Loss of power in ring and pinky finger
August 04, 2008, 08:07:41 pm
Smacked my elbow really, really hard against a hold so that it felt like someone had put my arm in boiling hot water rather than the usual funny bone feeling. Didn't feel too bad afterwards.

Anyway, a day later I've lost about 60-70% of power in my ring finger and little finger on that arm that I hit!

Anyone had similar? How long did it take to get better? Hoping not too long as I'm climbing totally crap now as a result (well crapper than before anyway .....  ::) )

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
You've given your ulnar nerve a whack.  It should recover, but it can take a few weeks.  If it last more than a couple you may need physio input etc, so keep an eye on it.

Tommy

• junky
I can definitely understand that - but why the loss of such a huge amount of strength in those fingers? Surely I'd just get tenderness and that would be that?

What results in physical side of all of this? I thought nerves only delivered sensation.... or is the enervation (right word?) and hence full contraction also controlled by the ulna nerve with fingers 4 and 5? It's worth noting that I've banged my elbow in exactly the same position and with the same force many times, but have only suffered a sore elbow for a day or two.

Aghhh - is it physio time?!   :-\

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
The ulnar nerve innervates Flexor carpi ulnaris, FDP to ring and little, and most of the small muscles of the hand.  It also supplies sensation to the ulnar side of the palm- no numbness at all?
Hopefully it'll recover fairly quick, but if not physio is aimed more at preventing contractures.
(Un)lucky shot with the bang.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal