UKBouldering.com

Wrist curls (Read 2330 times)

k2ted

• player
Wrist curls
August 04, 2008, 02:50:57 pm
Seeing as weights is the current topic............. is it worth throwing in a few sets of wrist curls/ reverse wrist curls in a weights routine.  Other than forearm size gains are there any notable benefits to climbing what people may have witnessed on here??  :-\

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#1 Re: Wrist curls
November 14, 2008, 08:54:31 pm
Suprised this didn't get any replies. I thought reverse wrist curls were a common exercise?

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Wrist curls
November 14, 2008, 11:57:57 pm
Seeing as weights is the current topic............. is it worth throwing in a few sets of wrist curls/ reverse wrist curls in a weights routine.  Other than forearm size gains are there any notable benefits to climbing what people may have witnessed on here??  :-\

My forearms seemed worked enough from gripping the bar for deadlift etc. but I do think they are a good idea for injury prevention if you've got dodgy  elbows. I'm not so sure about strength/size gain as the exercise will be difficult to execute properly with a heavy enough weight / low enough rep range, again just my opinion as I always thought they seemed like a strange motion.
They probably are worthwhile but why not just deadhang and pinch instead?
I think heavy finger rolls are another similar exercise, I've never done any but i'm sure Ned has.

stevie haston

• player
#3 Re: Wrist curls
November 15, 2008, 10:06:41 am
 wrist curls are a good excersise, climbers are really after strong fingers. Having said that simple thing I think if you have the energy and time yes you should include them. They are very good,( actually the best way of increasing size overall in forearm girth) so if you are vain or value your appearence they might be essential, they were for me as I am fairly vain. The flexion of the wrist is actually very important in some climbing situations,laybacking, controlling barn dooring, mantaling, ice climbing, crack climbing, pulling up on slopers at font, so shouldnt be neglected, but it can be and is by many people who have very strong fingers and are light (good for them, I whish I was so lucky).Lastly depending on your wrist construction, you may have trouble doing standard wrist curls, so be careful. A full range of movement isnt super necessary for many. People with super dodgy wrist can hold the bar behind the back(back of hand on bum) and do small wrist curls, or try using a dumbell instead of a bar in the normal excersize.Stevie.

stevie haston

• player
#4 Re: Wrist curls
November 16, 2008, 08:34:43 am
Oh I forgot to say they are better on a thick bar 2 inch or 2 1/2 is very good, if you have duyprens, and its more like a sloper excersise then. Stevie

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#5 Re: Wrist curls
November 16, 2008, 09:33:31 am
I do it pinching a weight or heavy book, seems to also train lower toward the wrist when the fingers are straighter?

(Still back of forearm, but lower towards wrist if that makes sense, if you close fingers around bar it seems to not train that area)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal