UKBouldering.com

Intercostal muscle strain (Read 7756 times)

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
Intercostal muscle strain
July 23, 2008, 06:17:48 pm
Yo peeps,

First time posting on this top site, hoping I can get some advise on a reoccurring problem.
I seem to be prone to straining my intercostal muscles when doing bunched twisty roof moves. Has anyone had any experience of this/ advice on how to strengthen the area?

Thanks

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Intercostal muscle strain
July 23, 2008, 06:23:24 pm
This is a new one to me.

The only suggestions I have is to try Dumbbell pullovers, Twisting Cable Crunches and Oblique side bends/twists/bent over twists etc.

Secondary thought: This may sound a bit odd but you aren't holding your breath all the time whilst climbing are you (Doylo style)?

Sorry not overly helpful.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#2 Re: Intercostal muscle strain
July 23, 2008, 06:32:36 pm
Don't think I'm holding my breath, all though I'm usually blowing out of my arse when I do it. Will try the exercises you suggested.

Cheers.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#3 Re: Intercostal muscle strain
July 23, 2008, 07:54:52 pm
I don't think there's any way of preventing it. I strained/tore mine in Jan', I was well warmed up, I don't see how I could have done anything different to prevent it - it's just shit luck. 3 months of not being able to sneeze, and then another month of only mild agony when I sneezed. I was lucky it got better before my hay fever started.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#4 Re: Intercostal muscle strain
July 24, 2008, 05:14:00 pm
That sounds far worse than my effort. 3 months recovery sounds more like a fractured rib. Like you, I was well warmed up at the time. It's a bunched side ways crunch that does it for me.

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Intercostal muscle strain
July 24, 2008, 09:15:13 pm
If you are twisting/crunching to your right is it this side that is injured or the side that is stretched?

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#6 Re: Intercostal muscle strain
July 25, 2008, 10:35:36 am
If you are twisting/crunching to your right is it this side that is injured or the side that is stretched?

Yup, it would be the right side in that instance, feels a bit like a rib's popping out of joint. Doesn't happen all the time, just when straining hard.

webbo

• forum hero
#7 Re: Intercostal muscle strain
July 25, 2008, 11:58:44 am
i have a problem where if i've been doing a lot of body tension stuff.part of my abs goes in to spasm.it can happen the day after,i also get when i've been out on my bike.really painful and difficult to get it to relax.comes on when i bend over to put my shoes back on or shuffling under some roof.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Intercostal muscle strain
January 09, 2012, 06:54:53 pm
Found this thread via google. I think I have strain my intercostal muscle.

I had a hard session at the wall on Friday and on Saturday evening I started getting a bruised feeling in my ribs just under my pec. No bruise was visible. As the evening worn on it got worse and by the next morning even lying down and breathing were pretty painful. It has improved since then and is only sore now when I take a deep breath.

Does that sound like intercostal? I can't think of any particular movement that may have done it.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Intercostal muscle strain
January 15, 2012, 11:09:45 am
Found this thread via google. I think I have strain my intercostal muscle.

I had a hard session at the wall on Friday and on Saturday evening I started getting a bruised feeling in my ribs just under my pec. No bruise was visible. As the evening worn on it got worse and by the next morning even lying down and breathing were pretty painful. It has improved since then and is only sore now when I take a deep breath.

Does that sound like intercostal? I can't think of any particular movement that may have done it.

Just to follow up, went for a short hike last Friday and it got worse and worse, had a few pints and went to bed, woke up in the middle of the night in agony. Went to A+E doctors thought it might be a lung clot. Got xray, bloods, a senior consultant saw me and said it was only a muscle thing and to take it easy for a few weeks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal