UKBouldering.com

How do I get Public liability for climbing holds (Read 2706 times)

Mirf

• player
    • www.leopoldkroll.com
I have been making my own climbing holds for the last few years, I'm pretty pleased with how they are but have had to be careful who I sell/give them to because I don't have any liability Insurance we don't even use them at our own climbing wall for the fear of the unlikely chance of one snapping and causing an injury leaving us potentially in a lot of s';\\t. Was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this type of thing and how I'd go about getiing insurance, would the holds need to be tested bu a governing body for safety?

:-\

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
I'm not so sure that its public liability insurance that you require. The holds are your product, a hold produced by you may be defective and break casuing injury and therefore I expect its products liability cover that you need. There are many big insurance companies that provide this type of insurance, QBE or for example. You best bet is to call the Insurance Company direct or talk to a broker to discuss the level of cover you need.

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
Public liability isn't really worth it as you won't be placeing the holds yourself and therefore you will not be able to make sure they are not over tightened (which can cause them to crack and break).

Though one hold manufacturer says on their site that they test to an international standard, that standard seems to be for the type of testing and for only the compound in bar form, It doesn't take into consideration the shape of the hold which can make a lot of difference. There is no standard for climbing holds (unless one has come into being in the last 2 years since I last checked).

The holds won't be part of the safety system at a wall, the matts and hangers etc will be and that will fall into the category of what the wall will have to insure.

You might need public liability for the place of manufacture though.

account_inactive

• forum hero
We went through the same dilemma, as insurance is mandatory in the USA. The problem with holds is that they do break and although Urethane is less likely to (the material we use) it still can.  The problem is that you have no control over who or how they are installed at a wall.  We provide installation instructions on our website but there is still no guarantee that they won't be placed on an uneven surface, overtightened, or installed by an 'unqualified' person..........

Again there are no current safety standards for holds in the EU although one should be in place sometime soon.  Read all about it here
http://www.nasport.din.de/projekte/DIN+EN+12572-3/en/74107020.html

Any other tests or certification is self-awarded, so not worth the paper it's printed on.

I've been told the standardised tests are being heavily supported by EP, who not surprisingly have an explosion proof patented system  that they would like everyone to pay and use.  This is despite of them still using polyester resin that has already been shown in tests to be way less strong than urethane.  See http://www.hrt-holds.com/news.php?news=27.  HRT are only making their fingerboard out of Urethane, but are probably going to make the switch at some point soon, likewise Lapis have brought out another line in urethane. This follows the trend in the US of ALL hold companies moving over to urethane.

A disclaimer on your website/sent out with each purchase, stating that the holds must  not be overtightened etc., and that they can break, will go some way towards covering your back. However, whether this would stand up in court is a matter for debate.

Hope this helps!  Post up some pics of your holds when you get chance as I'm always keen to see new stuff.  Also feel free to PM me if you want to chat shop

D

galpinos

• forum hero

Mirf, Alex seems to use his own holds at Bear Rock (though not many). Worth speaking to him? (though he's in Ceuse at the mo I think)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal