UKBouldering.com

Anybody broken their fifth metatarsal? (Read 3796 times)

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Anybody broken their fifth metatarsal?
July 14, 2008, 12:04:04 pm
Well I have.

I was just wondering on the recovery timeframe. I've had the cast off for about 2 weeks now, and have a final x-ray in a couple of weeks, but I've tried pulling on a pair of rock shoes, but had to take them off immediately, before even doing them up! Now I don't know if this was because of the sprain, or the break, but it was pretty uncomfortable.

Just curious if anyone else has done their fifth metatarsal, and if so, how long was it before you could climb properly again? I could just get some Guide Tennies and do easy trad, but I want to get out bouldering again!

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Nobody?

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
Hey sorry to hear about that..

I broke my little toe a couple of summers ago...

all in all it took about six weeks to heal fully and for me to get the ok to start training again from my GP, if I'd have wanted to I could probably have started climbing a week or so beforehand but decided to give the injury more time to heal.. even though the six weeks dragged, being patient was definitely the best thing to do..

I was gonna hack up an old climbing shoe to allow me to do easy stuff but this seemed a bit pointless, and the thought of putting an undersized slipper on was a total non-starter for the first few weeks

As for training I just hit the fingerboard and pull up bar a lot, deadhangs, pulls, assisted one-armers, levers.. that sort of thing upto four times a week, a bit of cycling and rowing at the gym too.. strangely when I started climbing again I felt strong, my fingers especially! the only thing that I lacked was the ability to climb for much more than an hour.. it prolly took about 2 weeks to get some endurance back and about four to be feel fully fit, strong and more importantly to have stopped thinking bout my foot...

how did you break it? I did mine training kicks for kung fu in a completely freakish accident, was gutted for a while, couldn't believe I was stupid enough to train without shoes..

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
I was walking around on the slopes between the Cromlech boulders and Dinas Cromlech (just wandering), jumped off a rock, and rolled over on my ankle. I was probably very lucky not to break my ankle! Just snapped the base of the metatarsal.

I had a cast for 6 weeks, and that was taken off about 2 and a half weeks ago. I've got a (hopefully) final x-ray on the 28th, and should be given the all clear, but I've tried on my rock shoes, but they really pressuirze that point. I just want to be able to (as you put it) stop thinking about the foot!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I had this:

It fucking sucked and took over 4 months to heal to the point that I could use it. The only obvious problem I had was lack of blood flow to the area, other than that just bad luck with the healing process I think. YMMV.

I don't really have much advice to be honest except to look outside at the drizzle and think it's a good time to heal as any. Oh, and try to stimulate blood flow in the area.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
I don't have my x-rays, but I had this

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I have nothing helpful to add except that x-rays totally fascinate me (you can see your bones!!!) and I hope you get better soon Drew.

i.munro

• junky
I've not had any foot injuries I'm happy to say but I have noticed that after a long layoff with other injuries my previously comfotable shoes become excruciating.
I don't know whether regularly squeezing your feet into stupidly tight soes actually makes them smaller or you just get used to it but perhaps invest in some comfy  shoes??

DavidT

Could be worse...

Ouch!!  :o

DavidT

I'd like to point out that fortunately that's not me with a coke bottle up my ASS!!

Honest!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Well hopefully little miss X-ray fetish up there will appreciate it anyway.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I said I liked to see bones  >:(  That's a whole different ball game.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I said I liked to see boners

Hope the foot gets better soon Drew, apologies for dragging things further  :off:

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot

I had to get an x ray on my ankle once after i twisted it badly at keswick wall on the big red mat of death. Anyways i go in the little x ray room and there's this massive x ray machine on the roof like something out of a superhero film, I get an amusingly named gonad shield to cover my bits and the woman fucks off behind this massive screen to make it all work "so is there any chance that if this goes wrong i'll get super powers" I ask the woman " no if this goes wrong you won't be able to have kids" i was suddenly thankful for the gonad shield

the bottle x ray is genious wad point

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Typed your problem into google, and it came up with this:

Hope it helps.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal