UKBouldering.com

Non-climbing holiday? (Read 13125 times)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#25 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 10:30:02 pm
Moving back on topic, anyone got any suggestions for a warmish venue in September with sea bathing suitable for a one year old, must be within 3 hours flying, relatively cheap and prole free.

Nearby bouldering obviously a bonus.

We went to Mallorca and Menorca, both were good.  Rock is better on Mallorca though, and cala'n Forcat is good.  And the flight is OK with a little 'un.

webbo

• forum hero
#26 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 19, 2008, 08:59:06 am
Moving back on topic, anyone got any suggestions for a warmish venue in September with sea bathing suitable for a one year old, must be within 3 hours flying, relatively cheap and prole free.

tenerife,although it will be probably too chavey for you.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#27 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 19, 2008, 09:33:24 am

I think windsurfing might be a great idea. I shall look into it further. Thanks for all the replies, well most of them anyway.

If you fancy the idea, read up on some of the principles of sailing like tacking to go upwind, if you don't know already. I spent one summer retrieving windsurfers from the end of the boating lake where I worked because peopel had only figured out how to go downwind.

Otherwise good fun.

If you fancy giving kitesurfing a go, have a go at flying a 4 string kite first.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#28 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 19, 2008, 09:40:15 am
What was the yawn aimed at? Are folk here really comfortable with taking +3hour flights for a short break? From an environmental point I mean. I'm certainly not.

Britain is a fuckin incredible place. You meet far more europeans in the hebrides than you do english. They certainly see it as worth travelling for.

dave

#29 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 19, 2008, 09:59:27 am
sardinia (northern tip of) is superb, beautiful, good temps in september and very prole-free, but not that cheap. generally speaking cheap and prole-free don't go together that well.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#30 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 19, 2008, 10:08:08 am

We went to Mallorca and Menorca, both were good.  Rock is better on Mallorca though, and cala'n Forcat is good.  And the flight is OK with a little 'un.
I second Mallorca, or The Algarve might suit you too.

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
#31 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 19, 2008, 10:31:56 am
Moving back on topic, anyone got any suggestions for a warmish venue in September with sea bathing suitable for a one year old, must be within 3 hours flying, relatively cheap and prole free. Nearby bouldering obviously a bonus.

Corsica. Everything good about French culture but with a better climate and granite  :)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#32 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 19, 2008, 10:52:42 pm
Yes, I was thinking of Corsica, anyone got any good beta on where tough?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#33 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 20, 2008, 05:31:01 am

I loved Corsica; we stayed near Cargèse - not really close to the bouldering but the whole of that area of west coast was stunning, especially up around Pianna. The whole island is high-rise free and has a real unspoilt vibe to it.

Paul B

• forum hero
#34 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 23, 2008, 07:44:01 pm
It it's sunshine with something to do you that you're after you can't go wrong with sailing or windsurfing. Lots to learn, great fun, by the sea etc.  There's also nothing wrong with going to somewhere with a nice beach with lots of books and good snorkelling IMHO.. 

Have just booked two weeks in Dahab windsurfing etc. ... Can't wait!
 :dance1:
Thanks for the suggestion.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#35 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 24, 2008, 10:31:07 am
i was just about to suggest you to do like monolith and rich and go somewhere (at my place if you like) for a fingerboarding holiday.
good call with the sea!!!

BenF

• forum hero
#36 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 24, 2008, 10:40:39 am
i was just about to suggest you to do like monolith and rich and go somewhere (at my place if you like) for a fingerboarding holiday.

They've been full of the joys of their trip to your gaff Nibile.  You clearly showed them a great time but I am slightly perturbed by their pleasure at spending so much time training on a 45 board in the mountains.  The only people I know who could get so much fun out of a two week fingerboard holiday!

Seriously though, sounds like they had a really good time with you and your friends.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#37 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 24, 2008, 10:57:14 am
it's been a great time really, sadly spoilt by the weather, but with high levels of psyche. i hope they make a video or some slideshow, would be nice.
GASATO!!!

stelios_kos

• regular
  • CLIMB GREECE
#38 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 24, 2008, 12:21:05 pm
How about Kos island in Greece. Of course there is bouldering in Kos but with this heat you will be completely disgusted from bouldering, so....no remorses for a non-climbing holiday :'(

BenF

• forum hero
#39 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 24, 2008, 12:42:42 pm
high levels of psyche. i hope they make a video or some slideshow...

I can imagine the levels of psyche were silly high.  Did Rich discover any cheap Italian over-caffeinated sugary drink company alternatives?  He normally manages to drink several supermarket own brand cans just on the way to a crag whilst on a trip.

I'm sure Tom will produce some kind of youtube film.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#40 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 24, 2008, 01:28:16 pm
we managed to finish one 250 grams packet of coffee every four days, no need for over-caffeinated sugary drink company...

BenF

• forum hero
#41 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 24, 2008, 01:55:42 pm
Wow, I'm glad you didn't add over-caffeinated sugary drink company to that lot!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#42 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 25, 2008, 06:51:49 pm
It it's sunshine with something to do you that you're after you can't go wrong with sailing or windsurfing. Lots to learn, great fun, by the sea etc.  There's also nothing wrong with going to somewhere with a nice beach with lots of books and good snorkelling IMHO.. 

Have just booked two weeks in Dahab windsurfing etc. ... Can't wait!
 :dance1:
Thanks for the suggestion.

Just noticed this reply and glad to be of service. Sounds great... just don't break anything  ;)

BTW I've just come back from a Sumatran surf trip with various ex climbing superstars so be warned that sunshine and sea sports may be the downfall of your climbing career.

corniceman

• regular
#43 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
August 01, 2008, 02:05:15 pm
Yellowstone, awsome or ardeche. Just dont take your climbing gear!

Paul B

• forum hero
#44 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
August 01, 2008, 02:16:44 pm
my better half just informed me she was accepted to speak at a conference in September.... IN COLORADO!!!

dave

#45 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
August 01, 2008, 02:24:34 pm
nice!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#46 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
August 01, 2008, 02:36:57 pm
my better half just informed me she was accepted to speak at a conference in September.... IN COLORADO!!!

Depends where in Colorado?  Anywhere east of Front Range is prairie, with f all going on.

Paul B

• forum hero
#47 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
August 01, 2008, 03:21:23 pm
Hmmm all I know is Breckenridge? Surely a reasonably large engineering firm aren't out in the sticks. I wonder if its feasible to tag along.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#48 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
August 01, 2008, 10:15:25 pm
Do it! Sadly won't be much snow about, but hopefully some good mountain biking, if you fancy. Plus you could always hire a car for the day and get to RMNP / Boulder Area, some good stuff there.

Paul B

• forum hero
#49 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
August 02, 2008, 01:10:25 am
Do it! Sadly won't be much snow about, but hopefully some good mountain biking, if you fancy. Plus you could always hire a car for the day and get to RMNP / Boulder Area, some good stuff there.

It'll completely come down to cost in the end, I'm definitely going to look into it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal