UKBouldering.com

Non-climbing holiday? (Read 13035 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Non-climbing holiday?
June 17, 2008, 10:56:54 pm
Anyone have any good recommendations for a non-climbing holiday (Blasphemy I here you scream)? preferably with something to do and not millions of people, we're looking to go away somewhere nearing the end of July and are a little dumbfounded by all the choice that there is. Last year we hit jack pot getting a ridiculously cheap deal to the maldives as we couldn't book until my frame was definitely removed, this year we're not having so much look conjuring up a cheap deal. Its unsurprising that the Maldives was a steal as we hadn't left enough time to get the relevant vaccinations.  :thumbsup:
Anyway thanks in advance for any input.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 08:18:23 am
Non-climbing holiday - error! does not compute!

Aaargh! Where to start? How long you got, how much cash?

Diving? Surfing? Sightseeing? Hiking? Biking? A lot of Europe is heaving at that time of the year, unless you go for something a bit out of the ordinary like Eastern Europe or a small island somewhere.

US is cheap at the moment due to ROE, but going to be busy and roasting hot in most of the popular tourist spots unles you stay North. How about West Indies?

Duma

• forum hero
#2 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 11:10:58 am
Me and the GF went to sweden last year, three days in Stockholm (lovely city) then got the train right into the interior for a week of canoeing - awesome scenery, barely a soul about, recommended. IIRC we went with these guys. It's not guided, you just turn up, they give you the kit and a quick run through, and you bugger off on your own for a week, camp where you like, portage past dams, great fun.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 11:20:49 am
How about West Indies?

Likely to piss it down at that time of year isn't it?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 11:24:24 am
Not a scooby. My brother went to east cost Mexico same last year and said it was tops, apart from a few impressive late afternoon thunderstorms.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#5 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 11:30:22 am
It it's sunshine with something to do you that you're after you can't go wrong with sailing or windsurfing. Lots to learn, great fun, by the sea etc.  There's also nothing wrong with going to somewhere with a nice beach with lots of books and good snorkelling IMHO.. 

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#6 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 11:36:34 am
Not a scooby. My brother went to east cost Mexico same last year and said it was tops, apart from a few impressive late afternoon thunderstorms.

I was going to recommend Mexico as it's fantastic but it's meant to be the wrong time of year weather wise. July is part of the rainy season and the hurricane season so I reckon your brother got lucky!

Dolly

• forum hero
#7 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 11:40:39 am
Had a great time in Southern Norway last year.
Plenty of water based activities, fishing, boats, trails in the the woods to walk/cycle on.
The air is soooo clean, you feel healthy just being there.
Every night got in the outdoor jacuzzi with a big jug of G and T to watch the sun on the lakes and mountains.....

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#8 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 11:49:10 am
i really can't think about anything that isn't bouldering related, except surfing.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#9 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 11:50:41 am
i would say portugal or the atlantic coast of andalucia. for food, drink, fiestas and surfing.

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 12:19:15 pm
It it's sunshine with something to do you that you're after you can't go wrong with sailing or windsurfing. Lots to learn, great fun, by the sea etc.  There's also nothing wrong with going to somewhere with a nice beach with lots of books and good snorkelling IMHO.. 

yeah this thought crossed my mind yesterday and I had a quick look (at yacht chartering  ;D, suprisingly they seem to need a little bit more experience than I have)....Any further clues? been anywhere nice windsurfing?

in answer to the other questions 14 days, price range completely depends on whats on offer.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 01:03:24 pm

Sea Kayaking? I'm planning on a trip doing this later in the year.

One good one that may not quite be "non-climbing" is go to the Dolomites and play on the Via Ferratae - great fun and perfectly accesible to a non-climber who can handle some exposure.

I think that once you've been to the Maldives, it's going to be hard to find any snorkelling to beat it.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#12 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 01:13:38 pm
I'm always a bit wary of advising non-surfers to go on surfing holidays unless they really, really want to do it 'cos it's just so damn hard to learn and I remember my learning days to be a pretty fustrating and not that enjoyable a time (although it was Cornwall in the mid 80's when wetsuits weren't the things they are today). 

I've not done a windsurfing holiday but I've had good reports from Turkey, Greece and Croatia.  Rather than yacht chartering, my sister and her hubbie did a trip to Greece a few years back where they earned their "Level 1" (or whatever it's called) yacht sailing certificate.

dave

#13 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 01:27:14 pm
Hows about the canadian rockies? fly to calgary and check out banff/lake louise/jasper. or go to hongcouver and check out the squamish/whistler area and vancouver island.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#14 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 01:31:49 pm
Personally I'd save on the carbon footprint and stay in the uk. Can recommend boating on the norfolk broads or anything involving the scottish islands.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 01:55:43 pm
Or combining two of the above sugestions with some sea kayaking in the Outer Hebrides? We did a two day trip out at Ardnamurchan last year and loved it. There is a good centre on North Uist that friends have used for sea kayaking trips and they highly recommended it.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#16 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 02:16:29 pm
And you might bump into Si O'Bollocks as a bonus.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#17 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 02:37:03 pm
Not on N Uist you won't. Not a lot of climbing there, either real or imaginary.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#18 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 02:40:46 pm
I thought he was now the World's greatest sea kayaker.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#19 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 06:03:32 pm
Moving back on topic, anyone got any suggestions for a warmish venue in September with sea bathing suitable for a one year old, must be within 3 hours flying, relatively cheap and prole free.

Nearby bouldering obviously a bonus.

adam p

• regular
#20 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 08:52:18 pm

can recommend a road trip round utah....

fly to salt lake city, pick up a jeep, throw tents and stuff in the back and spend a few weeks cruising round...

check out canyonlands (just the craziest place), drive the white rim trail, hang out in moab (cool town and killer margeritas), check out bryce national park and then pick your jaw from the floor looking at the big walls in zion...

went last sept and had a 'awesome' time as the yanks say. plenty of hiking, a bit of rafting, cheap steaks or spicy burritos....and plenty of cold beer despite the mormon tendencies...

sorry slopes, does not tick your boxes...at that time of year, outside school hols, perhaps greek islands?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#21 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 10:06:46 pm
Non-climbing holiday - error! does not compute!

I agree with that...

Personally I'd save on the carbon footprint and stay in the uk. Can recommend boating on the norfolk broads or anything involving the scottish islands.

...and that, sort of.

Having finally visited the North West of Scotland (which obviously extends to include the islands), I can agree it's a stunning place, and if the weather is good a very viable alternative to travelling abroad. The scenery is as beautiful as many places, there are as gorgeous beaches, there can be just as much of a language barrier AND it will cost you just as much in petrol as flying abroad would  :)

Eddies

• forum hero
#22 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 10:12:40 pm
dont you mean, georgeous beeatches?

Paul B

• forum hero
#23 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 10:26:58 pm

been to Utah and if I ever go back it'll be snowing! but thanks.

Johnny Brown -  :yawn:

I think windsurfing might be a great idea. I shall look into it further. Thanks for all the replies, well most of them anyway.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#24 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 10:28:51 pm

fly to salt lake city, pick up a jeep, throw tents and stuff in the back and spend a few weeks cruising round...

check out canyonlands (just the craziest place), drive the white rim trail, hang out in moab (cool town and killer margeritas), check out bryce national park and then pick your jaw from the floor looking at the big walls in zion...

went last sept and had a 'awesome' time as the yanks say. plenty of hiking, a bit of rafting, cheap steaks or spicy burritos....and plenty of cold beer despite the mormon tendencies...

I was going to suggest this, as i think it is an amazing part of the world, but in mid summer it will be fucking roasting and very busy.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#25 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 18, 2008, 10:30:02 pm
Moving back on topic, anyone got any suggestions for a warmish venue in September with sea bathing suitable for a one year old, must be within 3 hours flying, relatively cheap and prole free.

We went to Mallorca and Menorca, both were good.  Rock is better on Mallorca though, and cala'n Forcat is good.  And the flight is OK with a little 'un.

webbo

• forum hero
#26 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 19, 2008, 08:59:06 am

tenerife,although it will be probably too chavey for you.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#27 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 19, 2008, 09:33:24 am

I think windsurfing might be a great idea. I shall look into it further. Thanks for all the replies, well most of them anyway.

If you fancy the idea, read up on some of the principles of sailing like tacking to go upwind, if you don't know already. I spent one summer retrieving windsurfers from the end of the boating lake where I worked because peopel had only figured out how to go downwind.

Otherwise good fun.

If you fancy giving kitesurfing a go, have a go at flying a 4 string kite first.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#28 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 19, 2008, 09:40:15 am
What was the yawn aimed at? Are folk here really comfortable with taking +3hour flights for a short break? From an environmental point I mean. I'm certainly not.

Britain is a fuckin incredible place. You meet far more europeans in the hebrides than you do english. They certainly see it as worth travelling for.

dave

#29 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 19, 2008, 09:59:27 am
sardinia (northern tip of) is superb, beautiful, good temps in september and very prole-free, but not that cheap. generally speaking cheap and prole-free don't go together that well.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#30 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 19, 2008, 10:08:08 am

We went to Mallorca and Menorca, both were good.  Rock is better on Mallorca though, and cala'n Forcat is good.  And the flight is OK with a little 'un.
I second Mallorca, or The Algarve might suit you too.

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
#31 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 19, 2008, 10:31:56 am
Moving back on topic, anyone got any suggestions for a warmish venue in September with sea bathing suitable for a one year old, must be within 3 hours flying, relatively cheap and prole free. Nearby bouldering obviously a bonus.

Corsica. Everything good about French culture but with a better climate and granite  :)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#32 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 19, 2008, 10:52:42 pm
Yes, I was thinking of Corsica, anyone got any good beta on where tough?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#33 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 20, 2008, 05:31:01 am

I loved Corsica; we stayed near Cargèse - not really close to the bouldering but the whole of that area of west coast was stunning, especially up around Pianna. The whole island is high-rise free and has a real unspoilt vibe to it.

Paul B

• forum hero
#34 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 23, 2008, 07:44:01 pm

Have just booked two weeks in Dahab windsurfing etc. ... Can't wait!
 :dance1:
Thanks for the suggestion.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#35 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 24, 2008, 10:31:07 am
i was just about to suggest you to do like monolith and rich and go somewhere (at my place if you like) for a fingerboarding holiday.
good call with the sea!!!

BenF

• forum hero
#36 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 24, 2008, 10:40:39 am
i was just about to suggest you to do like monolith and rich and go somewhere (at my place if you like) for a fingerboarding holiday.

They've been full of the joys of their trip to your gaff Nibile.  You clearly showed them a great time but I am slightly perturbed by their pleasure at spending so much time training on a 45 board in the mountains.  The only people I know who could get so much fun out of a two week fingerboard holiday!

Seriously though, sounds like they had a really good time with you and your friends.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#37 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 24, 2008, 10:57:14 am
it's been a great time really, sadly spoilt by the weather, but with high levels of psyche. i hope they make a video or some slideshow, would be nice.
GASATO!!!

stelios_kos

• regular
  • CLIMB GREECE
#38 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 24, 2008, 12:21:05 pm
How about Kos island in Greece. Of course there is bouldering in Kos but with this heat you will be completely disgusted from bouldering, so....no remorses for a non-climbing holiday :'(

BenF

• forum hero
#39 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 24, 2008, 12:42:42 pm
high levels of psyche. i hope they make a video or some slideshow...

I can imagine the levels of psyche were silly high.  Did Rich discover any cheap Italian over-caffeinated sugary drink company alternatives?  He normally manages to drink several supermarket own brand cans just on the way to a crag whilst on a trip.

I'm sure Tom will produce some kind of youtube film.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#40 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 24, 2008, 01:28:16 pm
we managed to finish one 250 grams packet of coffee every four days, no need for over-caffeinated sugary drink company...

BenF

• forum hero
#41 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 24, 2008, 01:55:42 pm
Wow, I'm glad you didn't add over-caffeinated sugary drink company to that lot!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#42 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
June 25, 2008, 06:51:49 pm

Have just booked two weeks in Dahab windsurfing etc. ... Can't wait!
 :dance1:
Thanks for the suggestion.

Just noticed this reply and glad to be of service. Sounds great... just don't break anything  ;)

BTW I've just come back from a Sumatran surf trip with various ex climbing superstars so be warned that sunshine and sea sports may be the downfall of your climbing career.

corniceman

• regular
#43 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
August 01, 2008, 02:05:15 pm
Yellowstone, awsome or ardeche. Just dont take your climbing gear!

Paul B

• forum hero
#44 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
August 01, 2008, 02:16:44 pm
my better half just informed me she was accepted to speak at a conference in September.... IN COLORADO!!!

dave

#45 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
August 01, 2008, 02:24:34 pm
nice!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#46 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
August 01, 2008, 02:36:57 pm
my better half just informed me she was accepted to speak at a conference in September.... IN COLORADO!!!

Depends where in Colorado?  Anywhere east of Front Range is prairie, with f all going on.

Paul B

• forum hero
#47 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
August 01, 2008, 03:21:23 pm
Hmmm all I know is Breckenridge? Surely a reasonably large engineering firm aren't out in the sticks. I wonder if its feasible to tag along.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#48 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
August 01, 2008, 10:15:25 pm
Do it! Sadly won't be much snow about, but hopefully some good mountain biking, if you fancy. Plus you could always hire a car for the day and get to RMNP / Boulder Area, some good stuff there.

Paul B

• forum hero
#49 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
August 02, 2008, 01:10:25 am
Do it! Sadly won't be much snow about, but hopefully some good mountain biking, if you fancy. Plus you could always hire a car for the day and get to RMNP / Boulder Area, some good stuff there.

It'll completely come down to cost in the end, I'm definitely going to look into it.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#50 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
August 02, 2008, 08:47:32 am

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but there's this delightful little town called San Antonio - it's on a little Spanish island (the name of which escapes me) famous for its folky, carnival atmosphere. San Antonio is a real gem - you'd love it. Beautiful Moorish buildings, little restaurants serving just caught fish, and the local wines are really something. There are all sorts of herbal elixirs that you might be able to track down too. Anyway, I'd heartily recommend it. Very few Brits, quite a sophisticated local crowd, a lot of foodies, theatre types, that sort of thing. There's also a literary festival in early September (I think) - I think Margaret Drabble and Simon Sebag Montefiore are headlining this year.

Oh, and re the one year old - we met someone last time who left their child in this great creche when they went on their basket weaving course. I think it was called Pacha or something.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#51 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
August 02, 2008, 11:30:10 am

hehe - I'm really missing not going to the island this year :(   It's meant to be lovely in October after all the closing parties have finished but it's still warm...

Paul B

• forum hero
#52 Re: Non-climbing holiday?
September 07, 2008, 07:55:34 pm

Just like to say thanks for all the suggestions. We ended up having two weeks windsurfing in Dahab and it was bloody fantastic, the best holiday we've had for a while. Such a shame really that its a totally different (colder) kettle of fish here not to mention frighteningly expensive!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal